Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dale1958

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
vegetables
You could do with getting those numbers down. Can we help? What did you have to eat last evening?
Boiled new potatoes mincemeat and green beans this morning a cup of tea and 3 rich tea at 8am at 11am 17.2

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think your potatoes and rich tea biscuits may be the culprits. Do you test before you eat and then again after 2 hours from your first bite? This is a good idea because it will tell you by how much your meal has raised your levels, and you may have a shock. The idea at this stage is to get those spikes right down as low as you can by trial and error. The secret is to reduce your carbs, especially starchy ones like spuds. For diabetics Carbs = Sugar because they all turn to sugar once inside the system. New spuds may take a little longer than mashed ones, but still turn to sugar. Try reducing your portions of carbs/spuds. Instead of 4 or 5, try it with 2 and see the difference. You may find you have to cut them out altogether, or stick to 1 or 2 at most.

Reactions: 4 people

dale1958

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
vegetables
I think your potatoes and rich tea biscuits may be the culprits. Do you test before you eat and then again after 2 hours from your first bite? This is a good idea because it will tell you by how much your meal has raised your levels, and you may have a shock. The idea at this stage is to get those spikes right down as low as you can by trial and error. The secret is to reduce your carbs, especially starchy ones like spuds. For diabetics Carbs = Sugar because they all turn to sugar once inside the system. New spuds may take a little longer than mashed ones, but still turn to sugar. Try reducing your portions of carbs/spuds. Instead of 4 or 5, try it with 2 and see the difference. You may find you have to cut them out altogether, or stick to 1 or 2 at most.
Just sent you my original posting hope you don't mind as i am totally lost at this stage and would welcome any advice from anyone who may be able to help

Reactions: 2 people

dale1958

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
vegetables
Just sent you my original posting hope you don't mind as i am totally lost at this stage and would welcome any advice from anyone who may be able to help
I have only just started testing and i do not like the results have not self tested for 3 years

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I have answered your private message conversation. Best to ask on the forum for advice though, as many more people will see it and be able to answer.

Well done on starting to test again. Keep it up. Its the only way to learn and to get some control of your levels.

Reactions: 4 people

dale1958

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
vegetables
I have answered your private message conversation. Best to ask on the forum for advice though, as many more people will see it and be able to answer.

Well done on starting to test again. Keep it up. Its the only way to learn and to get some control of your levels.
thankyou for that I thought this was on the forum and not private, don't know how to post this to the forum? but would like to do so

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
well what should it be after fasting all night.......

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
well what should it be after fasting all night.......

NHS (NICE) guidelines say for
Type 2's fasting should be between 4 and 7.
Non-diabetics between 4 and 5.9.
Most of us try to aim for under 6 if we can.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I agree - if I can managed 9.4 to 5 average so can you. Don't give up it will come.

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know how it's possible but my BS just goes up over night ! this mornings reading was 22 and very very rarely since I was diagnosed have i had a reading below 11.5 :-( They tried Metformin 1000mg but it just literally had me running to the loo .Then Glycazide which was no better .Now they want me to take Ploglitazone 15mg but I'm not taking meds with a one in ten chance of weight gain .I don't NEED more weight gain :-(

Last edited by a moderator:

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
welcome @Susiespearish if you want to get you numbers down then you need to change your diet. Why not post in the greetings section, introduce yourself and provide us a little information so that we may be able to help. For example, I assume from your comment that you are possibly overweight. We need to understand your diet and exercise levels at the moment to provide any help. Personally I would recommend the newcastle diet approach for a couple of months (what is 2 months for the rest of your life). You may find it works wonders and if you don't well there are other alternatives. Whatever you do you may need to lower your carb intake to lower your levels.

dale1958

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
vegetables
I don't know how it's possible but my BS just goes up over night ! this mornings reading was 22 and very very rarely since I was diagnosed have i had a reading below 11.5 :-( They tried Metformin 1000mg but it just literally had me running to the loo .Then Glycazide which was no better .Now they want me to take Ploglitazone 15mg but I'm not taking meds with a one in ten chance of weight gain .I don't NEED more weight gain :-(
Can only sympathise I am exactly the same but cannot get any sense from doctors and nurse the best advice has come from the forum what is your carb intake like? no mention of this at the doctors

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
yes we are a weird breed....you would think having not eaten anything for ages the levels would drop....

Status
Not open for further replies.