Writing BG Management App

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How difficult would it be to create something to compare graphs for 2 date ranges? In other words, compare last 2 months/weeks against each other. I find that useful for comparing trends. Personally, blood scores only would be required.

Many thanks for your ongoing work.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you use the 7 day average does that not show you the trend you need? What I will have to do is allow another graph and then possibly change the selection to drag and drop items to select them. You should be able to open the program twice and arrange the windows in the short term

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good solution. I guess, in my world of blue sky thinking, I was thinking of overlaying the graphs.

I know. Some people are just plain demanding.

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey Andrew, just caught up with this thread. Great job.

I teach basic java programming to undergrads, but nothing to this level - I'd be using c# myself, well once upon a time perhaps :)

Are you using Eclipse as your IDE? Is the source code available - you said somewhere you were Open Source advocate?

My Aga Matrix Jazz uses an SQLite db and I was thinking of mocking up an application to improve the graph display - so was liking your graph manager.

I noted you were trying to port to Android - how's that going? But then you are going to have the iphone guys to deal with.

I'm wondering if html5 can interface somehow with sqlite - I doubt it, but I'll have a look and think.

Well done.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hey Andrew, just caught up with this thread. Great job.

I teach basic java programming to undergrads, but nothing to this level - I'd be using c# myself, well once upon a time perhaps :)

Are you using Eclipse as your IDE? Is the source code available - you said somewhere you were Open Source advocate?

My Aga Matrix Jazz uses an SQLite db and I was thinking of mocking up an application to improve the graph display - so was liking your graph manager.

I noted you were trying to port to Android - how's that going? But then you are going to have the iphone guys to deal with.

I'm wondering if html5 can interface somehow with sqlite - I doubt it, but I'll have a look and think.

Well done.

Hi Gordon,
Yes I use eclipse as my IDE. The project is created and managed through maven so is easily built with the command "mvn package". The underlying model has some unit tests. As soon as I check into my git server my hudson server builds it independently. The source is available through my git server (except I broke anonymous reads and haven't fixed it yet). I will upload a copy of the code onto my google drive for the latest version. A previous version was there before.

I currently use a few libraries to speed things along...
Derby DB which I have wrapped with my own transaction layer. Allows synchronous and asynchronous access and a internal jms-like queuing library (originally wrote it as an almost drop in replacement but it has diverted since)
jFreeChart for the charting layer
swingx for the multipane layout and the treetable

Got the dev environment for the android set up and working but that is as far as it goes.

You can do a REST service wrapper around the model fully decouple the UI (it is fairly decoupled now). Apache jersey would be good but you would need to run the model as a separate process. That is when people start to have issues which I didn't want and hence a single package.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Uploaded version 0.2.6 (this is the same as version 0.2.5) but now connects to the database via the network instead of internal process comms. This allows you to run more than one version at a time. Especially for @AndBreathe

@gfmoore uploaded a zip with the source. No comments in it - I don't do comments ;) so good luck.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Uploaded version 0.2.6 (this is the same as version 0.2.5) but now connects to the database via the network instead of internal process comms. This allows you to run more than one version at a time. Especially for @AndBreathe

@gfmoore uploaded a zip with the source. No comments in it - I don't do comments ;) so good luck.
Thank youuuuuuuuu. :D

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers :)

edit: do you use an Apple Mac for your programming? I wasn't able to import your project into my windows setup. I have this issue with my apple mac using students. No worries I'll find a work around. :)

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ahh got it. I had to install and set up Maven and then import as a Maven project. Never used Maven before. :)

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
No I use linux extensively, no crapple allowed in my house or windows in case those viruses go airborne

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
Hi Andrew,
I am looking for a Blood Glucose tracker, and a few people on the forum suggested the one you developed. I have briefly looked at one version
I'm not certain what is the latest downloadable version, can you help with a link.
Secondly if I want to put in historical data for the last 6 months or so, how do I get the correct date and time to put in the readings,BG ?
Is there a basic user guide ?
Hope you can assist, im not very computer literate
Thanks,
Brian
@Andrew Colvin

Last edited by a moderator:

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
What format is your historical data? If it is in a spreadsheet then we can import it with a little manipulation and format string. You can find a link to it in my signature and the manual is sort of in the thread

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am on holiday this week but will be able to help when I get back

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have uploaded version 0.2.7. This version allows you to select the size of font used in the tables. I implemented this because I read on the forum that someone has difficult with all the apps due to their poor eyesight. You will find the options under the option menu:

Normal Font Size
upload_2014-8-21_13-44-16.png

1.5 times font size
upload_2014-8-21_13-45-18.png

Double Font Size
upload_2014-8-21_13-46-9.png

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
version 0.3.0 uploaded to my google drive.

This version provides an import from your code free application. To do this import the data into the limited code free application and then choose to export the data as a csv. Npw you can download this directly into this version with the new menu option
upload_2014-8-22_15-54-33.png

Choose the format options you exported in
upload_2014-8-22_15-55-42.png

click import and select the export file
upload_2014-8-22_16-1-46.png

An import window will appear informing you of the changes underway
upload_2014-8-22_16-2-50.png

Attachments

• upload_2014-8-22_15-55-31.png
    upload_2014-8-22_15-55-31.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 513

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
Love it!

Funny, I was just developing something like this (not Java based) for my own personal use, but I'm not officially giving up and using this LOL.

Thanks x

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I did it because a spreadsheet just didn't cut it after a while. It became really complex and difficult to manage and it was either write lots of macros/functions or write an app and that is what I did

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
Yeah I was thinking of the macros route and (heaven forbid) VBA....then wondered about Minitab...then saw sense and started looking for an existing one LOL. Have enough of that malarky at work LOL

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just a cosmetic update here. version 0.3.1 from the usual download place now allows you to select the look and feel you want to us. The offered ones depend on the platform that you are running it on. Options are available under the option menu as long as there is more than one available.
Metal

upload_2014-8-24_13-1-8.png

Nimbus
upload_2014-8-24_13-2-1.png

GTK+
upload_2014-8-24_12-59-41.png

Attachments

• upload_2014-8-24_12-58-15.png
    upload_2014-8-24_12-58-15.png
    146.3 KB · Views: 503
  • upload_2014-8-24_12-58-58.png
    upload_2014-8-24_12-58-58.png