In Case of Emergency

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Yes i have the bracelet too that is my third btw as lost two that had supposedly safety clasps on them this time I bought a watch strap bracelet and keep all details inside it and next of kin details plus Doctor.
WHY would anyone want to keep Diabetec bracelets which have your details in it??? makes you wonder dont it.....

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
WHY would anyone want to keep Diabetec bracelets which have your details in it??? makes you wonder dont it.....

They maybe thought the bracelet had some value, when they realised it didn't they probably throw it away in a bin rather than hand it in to the Police.

Last edited by a moderator:

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a bracelet which which says Type 1 Diabetic Insulin Dependent and have a card in my wallet which is in a clear bit so would be seen right away if it was opened. The card has my name, details of the insulins I am on and my emergency contact details.

I also have a different sports bracelet for when I go swimming.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
hmmm unsure about not being valuable one cost me 80 odd pounds laughs..

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't wear a medical alert bracelet for diabetes, nor do I carry a card. I am type 2, diet only, no meds for anything at all. However, I did have an alert bracelet when I was on chemo, and the hospital gave me a red medical alert card to be carried with me at all times. This was also an aid to bye-passing A&E straight to the Medical Assessment Unit should I have had an accident/become ill. I burnt them in celebration after my treatment was finished.

Reactions: 4 people

mark4785

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I carry a little credit card sized card in my wallet which states that I have type 1 diabetes and it provides an emergency telephone number to ring if I were to be found unconscious. I've had type 1 since 2004 and have never lost consciousness and have never worried about the possibility of this happening; indeed, I often forget that I'm carrying the emergency card as its the last thing on my mind.

As long as you have good hypo awareness and carry sugary drinks with you to correct hypo's, it's my view that you should not need any medical attention. Having said this, if you've got a spare slot in your wallet for a card detailing the fact that you have diabetes, there's really no harm slipping it in there.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I saw this thread earlier today and made a card for the picture panel in my wallet.
That little clear window in front of the wedge of twenties ....
It states my situation and the drugs I'm on.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For years I've carried a donor card, and one with (now outdated) instructions on who to contact with regard to caring for my dogs if I was in an accident or worse. I've not seriously considered carrying any of my diabetes info though (I'm type 2 on metformin and other medications for various not so serious health issues).

One of my nieces is a jeweller so could make me something I suppose, and my husband also owns some engraving tools, so actually I could have something quite nice, unique ... and free!! :joyful:

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wear a silicon wrist band, not just for diabetes, but also with my blood group and contact info in case I'm in an accident out running/cycling etc (also have cards in the wallet). IN my case, I have to declare it for some of the work I do as I could be very remote from hospitals, so the medics on site need to know that they can deal with any issues that might arise