Does short term high blood sugar do any damage?

Catsymoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
My hba1c scores are great; about 43 or 44 so average sugar is about 6. So overall my control is great. However, this week I am having a bit of trouble with highs and I haven't eaten anything out of the ordinary. My sugar rarely goes over 10, even after I've eaten. All I've had today is a sandwich and some bourbons, and my sugar is 13 after I ate 4 hours ago. I'm guessing it's just due to the weather being colder or possibly linked to my hormones/pill or just random.

What I want to know is, if your sugar level is 13-16 for a couple of hours, but DOES go down after that, does it hurt you? I only feel my sugar when its low, not high. I only got symptoms from high blood sugar on diagnosis when it was 37 and probably high for months and months which made me ill.

24 and type 1 on Humulin M3. 25-30 units in the morning, 10-12 at night. I get lows a lot but I can feel it before it drops and makes me feel ill.

Hollister

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes :p
I don't think it would hurt you, maybe if it was 20+.
Enough to raise your hba1c anyway :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The rule of thumb would be to keep sugar levels around 5.0 & 7.5mmol, but everyone slips up briefly from time to time with no real Ill effect..

My smart money is on the "Bourbons".. ;)

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
The rule of thumb would be to keep sugar levels around 5.0 & 7.5mmol, but everyone slips up briefly from time to time with no real Ill effect..

My smart money is on the "Bourbons".. ;)
I would agree but running at 7 all day yesterday and stuck to usual fried brekkie and salad. P@@ off and ate 4 profiteroles yesterday evening and went for walk. Bs went down to 6.6! Sometimes I just don't get it!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would agree but running at 7 all day yesterday and stuck to usual fried brekkie and salad. P@@ off and ate 4 profiteroles yesterday evening and went for walk. Bs went down to 6.6! Sometimes I just don't get it!

I have thought for a long time this is just a lottery with little logic behind it!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Much would depend on how often your bg levels are 13-16mmol after eating, it would be better to keep high's like that to a minimum to avoid any long-term complications.

Agree with Jaylee on the bourbons ;)

Anie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have thought for a long time this is just a lottery with little logic behind it!

This happens to me too!Just don't get it. I think chocolate eclairs, profiteroles etc must be a bg lowering food!!! (However a tiny amount of swede for me is a no no) no logic at all

Reactions: 4 people

Catsymoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
I disagree on the bourbons. I eat biscuits and sweets all the time in moderation and I only had two in the morning which is about 20g carbs. They don't do much to my blood sugar. It's things like white rice and chips that disagree with me. Which I avoid. I'm lucky, even normal coke doesn't raise my sugar on nights out when I'm drinking it with Jack Daniels. My insulin is so perfect it balances so well, I just think it's the temperature. I need less insulin in hot weather so I've been taking less and I think where it's gotten cold in the UK, it might have an effect.

I hate seeing my sugar levels over 9, even right after eating. I run them quite low (3-7). Whenever I do have random highs, it always drops after a few hours and some extra medication. I just thought high blood sugar only did damage if it STAYED high.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I disagree on the bourbons. I eat biscuits and sweets all the time in moderation and I only had two in the morning which is about 20g carbs. They don't do much to my blood sugar. It's things like white rice and chips that disagree with me. Which I avoid. I'm lucky, even normal coke doesn't raise my sugar on nights out when I'm drinking it with Jack Daniels. My insulin is so perfect it balances so well, I just think it's the temperature. I need less insulin in hot weather so I've been taking less and I think where it's gotten cold in the UK, it might have an effect.

I hate seeing my sugar levels over 9, even right after eating. I run them quite low (3-7). Whenever I do have random highs, it always drops after a few hours and some extra medication. I just thought high blood sugar only did damage if it STAYED high.

As it is true that prolonged periods if high sugar levels are detrimental to health.
And indeed your Hba1c appears to be Vgood. Thus the odd slip up on a high is not a worry!
A couple of bourbons by my reckoning is tallys up with your calculation too. Though it's a long time since I have seen a bourbon & had to google it for reference... Lol

But I believe you are running your BS levels too low to achieve this.. Which in its self could be dangerous.. Thus causing a "roller coaster" effect? Though lucky for you not in the high teens or twenties..

It's fair to say that the HabA1c is like an average speed check system on a stretch of motorway.. One can briefly exceed the speed limit for a while, then crawl at dangerously slow speeds to other road users to compensate & still avoid a fine & points on the licence.
The meter used is more like your traffic cop with the radar on the side of the road.
But it's not a good idea to run as low as "3" for too long.. An optimum consistent safe speed is what you want.
It helps minimise the wear & tear on the "vehicle" too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people