Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Can only sympathise I am exactly the same but cannot get any sense from doctors and nurse the best advice has come from the forum what is your carb intake like? no mention of this at the doctors
Dale my carb intake is bad really since most of my meals contain at least some carbs .Having said that I don't expect readings of 22 after nine hours without any intake ! Strangely I can eat a roast chicken dinner and it hardly moves .Seems no rhyme or reason to the readings I keep getting .

Reactions: 2 people

dale1958

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
vegetables
Dale my carb intake is bad really since most of my meals contain at least some carbs .Having said that I don't expect readings of 22 after nine hours without any intake ! Strangely I can eat a roast chicken dinner and it hardly moves .Seems no rhyme or reason to the readings I keep getting .
seems we both need to cut down on carbs, something else to get on top of up to 3 days ago I did not know they were so important I too don't know what I am going to eat Perhaps just salad(which I also hate by the way) and some expensive steaks

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
seems we both need to cut down on carbs, something else to get on top of up to 3 days ago I did not know they were so important I too don't know what I am going to eat Perhaps just salad(which I also hate by the way) and some expensive steaks
There are some great ideas on the low carb part of the forum ...like making curries and some suggestions for low carb rice substitutes I'm going to try .I'm not a big lover of salad even though I grow my own tomato and cucumbers but I do love veg and can see me making lots of veg casseroles .i love home made turkey burgers with added cranberries and have had those wrapped in an iceberg leaf before ...suprisingly tasty even without the bun :) Guess we are just going to have to re educate our pallets .

Reactions: 7 people

Mandingo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.3 This morning. I'm usually under 5.
Saw my GP today medication reduced by 40mg. Now on 120mg Gliclazide daily.

smeneley

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Me Too..Still testing, no meds yet.. Numbers still high 7s in the morning..I can see Metformin In my future...

Mandingo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
4.2 this morning hope it stays below 5 with the reduction in medication.
I am seriously motivated. ......

Reactions: 4 people

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mega road trip yesterday from south coast to Birmingham and back in a day, plus working while up there. Barely ate or drank except for some healthy snacks I packed to take with me and bottled water. Checked bs during the day as I was travelling alone - 5.8; 5.6; 6.4; and 6.3 at bedtime.....

.........A whooping 7.5 on waking this morning.

One of @AndBreathe 's permitted tantrums coming up....;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm away at the moment with limited access to the internet. Anyway, after five weeks of not testing at all my waking range, for the last two weeks, has been between 4.8 and 5.4 but mainly spot on 5.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 6 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Why is it I hate all the things I should eat :woot:having said that my BS level was 7.1 this am and that was because I never had any supper...was starved when I got up this am and woke in the night thinking of food haha :bag: but 7.1 is not bad I guess;)

dale1958

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
vegetables
Why is it I hate all the things I should eat :woot:having said that my BS level was 7.1 this am and that was because I never had any supper...was starved when I got up this am and woke in the night thinking of food haha :bag: but 7.1 is not bad I guess;)
25.2 this morning not surprised had a chines takeaway last night as I always do on Fridays forgot my tablets until 1 hour after meal and only took gliclazide as metmorfin making me run to the toilet, so I pick up my metmorfin sr today will start them for a few days whilst I get my head around carbs and forget the self testing for the weekend

Last edited by a moderator:

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I skipped supper last night too as I was too shattered after a long day of travelling to eat when I got home I think our liver works overtime when we haven't eaten, making our bs higher on fasting. Just imagine what yours might have been had you eaten - especially if you could make yourself eat the things you don't like! Its amazing how our taste buds change and adapt if we persevere.

I've never enjoyed spinach but a large portion most days is now a staple part of my diet. I don't even bother to cook it, just wilt it by pouring plenty of boiling water over it in a colander. I use it as a bed to serve any meat or fish dish and soaks up all the lovely sauces. I used to use it when making cottage or fish pies as a layer between the meat and potato. Now need to adapt those dishes to low carb ones but will keep the spinach layer.

Haven't quite got around to eating it for breakfast, but am starting to feel peckish at the thought of it later in the day :)

Have you looked at the recipe forum here for ideas?

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
20.7 Carb free from tomorrow I guess : -(
Don't go carb free as it is a target you will fail on constantly. Try to reduce it to between 100 and 150g of carbs per day. Do this for a few weeks and then reduce it again. If you go too hard too fast you will go cold turkey on us (carb flu as it is known). You will likely find just this reduction works. Then there are the types of carbs. Try and stay away from starchy types (pots, rice, pasta, flour) and if you are going to have bread (I do now) limit it to one or two slices per day and try rye bread or bergen linseed and soya.

Reactions: 4 people

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't go carb free as it is a target you will fail on constantly. Try to reduce it to between 100 and 150g of carbs per day. Do this for a few weeks and then reduce it again. If you go too hard too fast you will go cold turkey on us (carb flu as it is known). You will likely find just this reduction works. Then there are the types of carbs. Try and stay away from starchy types (pots, rice, pasta, flour) and if you are going to have bread (I do now) limit it to one or two slices per day and try rye bread or bergen linseed and soya.

Thanks for the advice Andrew :) Will do that and reduce gradually.I'm normally quite happy with two dutch crisbreads which are only 7.5 grams per item . Does tea with skimmed milk count on a low carb diet ? I looked at the newcastle diet last night but the one thing I could not live without is my tea .

Reactions: 3 people

dale1958

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
vegetables
20.7 Carb free from tomorrow I guess : -(
Just Had scrambled eggs and wholemeal bread and according to my new app My Fitness pal was only 28% Carbs 40% fat and 31% protein, like eggs

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the advice Andrew :) Will do that and reduce gradually.I'm normally quite happy with two dutch crisbreads which are only 7.5 grams per item . Does tea with skimmed milk count on a low carb diet ? I looked at the newcastle diet last night but the one thing I could not live without is my tea .

Its excellent advice from Andrew.

I didn't think I could give up tea but have reduced to one large breakfast cup in the mornings with a dash of semi skimmed milk. The rest of the day I drink coffee with cream. I keep my bs during the day and after meals quite low so I think the trade off works!

Good luck with everything. Do follow the advice and encouragement from those here like Andrew and others with proven track records

Keep us posted with your progress

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Status
Not open for further replies.