hi

Decolana

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Does anyone know if you can get rid of prediabetes?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you can control your blood glucose levels and get your weight and diet right to suit your body. Then you have a chance of reducing the risk of developing T2 diabetes.
Educate yourself by reading the forums information and threads, find something that applies to you.
If you have more questions fire away. There are lots of helpful people on here who have their own experiences to go by.
You have taken the first step on a new lifestyle. Enjoy the site and Welcome.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it is fair to say that the popular myth that Prediabetics and type 2 diabetics are lazy slugs who eat themselves into the disease is absolute nonsense!

It's a metabolic condition, and we are all unique. So if 20O people all ate and exercised identically, some of them would become pre diabetic, and some of those wouldn't, and some would go on to get diabetes.

However, once being pre or diabetic has been identified, there are a lot of ways that people can slow or halt the deterioration - but it usually takes some serious effort - and it is a lifelong commitment.

The general vague advice is 'diet and exercise' - and a lot of people take that as a few trips to the gym, and the 'healthy plate' advice handed out by the NHS.

Most people on this forum disagree strongly with that diet advice. Most of us have cut our carbohydrates, some of us go much further, and go very low carb. Generally we all use trial and error to find what works for us individually.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people

Countrykins

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi decolana

I am in the same situation. As yourself. I had a routine blood test and was later asked to see the doc to be told I was borderline diabetic type 2. However her advice was to lose weight and in her opinion I could avoid developing it further. I haven't been back since as I'm spending a lot of,time abroad but I have bought a monitor and sticks etc. I have lost about. 12 lbs as a result of being on this site and following the LCHP advice which suits me very well. I still need to lose more to get my BMI recommended weight correct but I checked that out on the web as well so know what I'm aiming at. I'm not testing every day as I seem it be settling into a pattern of 5 - 6.2 fasting - and never higher than 8,after food and rightly or wrongly I'm still having a glass of red wine with my evening meal but that's my biggest sin I think. The glucose monitor sticks are so expensive to buy which is why unless I'm concerned I'm no longer doing the test every few hours. But I did have a routine to start - with before meals and two hours after - the highest reading I ever had at the start was 10 m mols. But only the once - so no idea what I had to cause that . Anyway I believe if you can find a mode of eating which you can enjoy at this stage of our diabetic diagnosis - guided by the brilliant advice and support on this forum - we maybe a lot luckier than some of our members here. It seems to be working for me so,I can only speak as I have found. Good luck x

Reactions: 4 people

Decolana

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
The crazy thing is im no where near over weight im 5'3 and 107 pounds and im 33 years old. The first words out of the docs mouth was do you have a history of diabetes in your family? Lol every grandparent. The crazy thing is I run into a lot of problems with my blood sugar getting to low as well. I'm really trying ro watch my sugar in take but after years of being the sugar queen its been a major adjustment. I just hppe I can stay off the sugars.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The good thing is that as you leave sugar behind you will start to feel better in small unexpected ways - ways that you didn't even realise were a sugar related problem. More rested sleep as an example.

And as your taste buds adjust, sugary foods actually taste far too sweet.

It also gets easier and easier. Promise.

It's probably fair to say that your love for sugar has been a sign that you had a predisposition towards this...

Countrykins

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As your weight obviously isn't the problem - one of the other suggestions I found on here was to take some cinnamon added to a favourite suitable food. Not the easiest spice to include but maybe some cooked apple or poached pear maybe. When you browse around the forum you will find posts where cinnamon has been used and it has been successful in lowering blood sugar it seems for those folk. Maybe others will confirm or refute this - but that's what this forum is all about. We have so many differing scenarios as to why we are here - genetic or weight or something else - and in your case it's purely about lowering the sugar levels - I agree if you can lose your sweet tooth is the most obvious - but another tip or two on the back burner might be useful whilst you are in the process of trying. - as an add on just maybe it will make a difference so your determination flourishes!!!!

forge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
The crazy thing is im no where near over weight im 5'3 and 107 pounds and im 33 years old. The first words out of the docs mouth was do you have a history of diabetes in your family? Lol every grandparent. The crazy thing is I run into a lot of problems with my blood sugar getting to low as well. I'm really trying ro watch my sugar in take but after years of being the sugar queen its been a major adjustment. I just hppe I can stay off the sugars.
Low?

Under "normal circumstances" low is only possible with insulin hence the driving restrictions with insulin.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low?

Under "normal circumstances" low is only possible with insulin hence the driving restrictions with insulin.

And reactive hypoglycaemia - but I don't know whether that is always linked to insulin resistence, or not. I doubt it though.

But then it depends what you are calling 'normal circumstances'.

Decolana

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Im fortunate not to be on insulin. I am taking metphormine and controlling with diet but I have times where my blood sugar just crashes. The other day I eat exactly the way I had been. It had been about three hours since eating then all of a sudden with in 10 minutes I was shaking so bad I could barely hold a container of orange juice with out it spilling over I was shaking so bad. How can I have prediabetes and have low blood sugar issues?

forge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
Im fortunate not to be on insulin. I am taking metphormine and controlling with diet but I have times where my blood sugar just crashes. The other day I eat exactly the way I had been. It had been about three hours since eating then all of a sudden with in 10 minutes I was shaking so bad I could barely hold a container of orange juice with out it spilling over I was shaking so bad. How can I have prediabetes and have low blood sugar issues?
That is not any kind of normal so you need to see a doctor.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have nothing to go on except that you are having lows as described by you. Are you testing? Any other symptoms? Is your fasting bloods high? Has the doctor done any tests?

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
Low?

What a load of rubbish!! Maybe do your homework before commenting......

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Chap at my surgery I spoke to has been told for 30 years he is prediabetic. (I didn't even know prediabetes label was around 30 years ago). However he has looked after himself, 80+ years old and no medication.

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Decolona, I have always had what I considered 'hypos', as in when I haven't eaten for a few hours I get shakes, panic etc. nearly climb the walls .... been having some 'episodes' lately and doctor said there is a very well documented condition where people get all the symptom of a 'hypo' when they get hungry but their bloods don't go too low (which is what happens to me). True hypo's are found in diabetics who have taken too much insulin .. he also said in all his years of being a GP he'd never once seen a single person with hypoglycaemia ..

Decolana

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I was talking to a nurse and she said that I could have gotten control of my biabetes and be able to get off the metphormine. That with having the control of it and the metphormine might be causing the lows. Any thoughts on this

forge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks @semiphonic

My, consult a Doctor advice was good.