Diabetes Burnout. .. any advice please?

vics10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

Little bit about me first, I'm 22, had type 1 diabetes for 9 years now. I work as a waitress doing at least 12 hour shifts 5 days a week, lucky to get a break or food! Nevertheless, recently last 2 and half weeks, my blood sugar levels have been constantly high over 20 most of the time but I've also been eating badly and not carb counting neither just taking insulin here and there. I wouldn't say I've stopped caring but I've had a lot of other personal issues (bad i know but i use to have a drug problem and been going through counselling, pleased to say been clean for 17 weeks now but still fighting the mental and emotional side to it) on that ive sorta put my diabetes to one side without realising. Well didn't feel well at all yesterday but went into work and was forgetful, clumsy you name it then tonight ive been sent home from work as I started to come across drunk falling all over the place, glazed eyes, hyper and embarrassing myself in front of customers. I've been reading up on this diabetes burnout thing and I do feel like I'm struggling atm but I've only just realised now. Has anyone got any advice on how to get past this and start taking care of myself and my diabetes again! Sorry for the long speech!! Sometimes feel a little lonely as a diabetic too and this is my first post thanks! Vic x

sallymac65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling high, people not understanding the difference between type 1 + 2, those people who dont listen!
Hi Vics 10, sorry to hear you sound so down. Having Type 1 is as you've discovered pretty tough at times. Particularly for you doing shifts, never easy, hope you haven't lost your sense of humour yet though? you dont say if you're on pens or a pump? If pens, it could be that your insulin isnt being absorbed, we all have our "favourite" places dare I say it that you tend to inject or put your pump, so it could be that its just not being absorbed. Be brave and try somewhere else as a change and see if your levels sort themselves out? It would also be worth you testing more as well, during this period just to try and sort it out. Welcome to the diabetes forum, I think you'll find as I have that people on here are really helpful but more importantly they know and understand what you're going through.

Reactions: 2 people

vics10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you. Ooh im on pens, novorapid for carb counting and levemir. Oh yes I must admit I do inject in the same area a lot and it's such a bad habit to try to kick as well but yes that is a point thank you. I think sometimes what I hate is feeling misunderstood, luckily at work tonight a few staff were in who knew I wasn't well. I just need to pick myself up, and start thia diabetes journey again.

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
Hi Vics, I'm not the best person to give you advice on this I'm afraid, but I'm glad you joined the forum because there's some fab advice here and I know you'll get the help and ideas you need. Only you can act on that advice, and I really hope you do, because I so don't want you to regret not taking better care of yourself. What do you think you could do tomorrow that might help you get your BG towards your target? I think that's a question you could answer as I'm a firm believer that we often already know the answers :)

Hugs x

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Vics, sorry to hear you have been having it rough :(
Diabetic burnout is more common than people realise . Plus it seems to happen when we are overloaded with other life issues, - it just seems to be too much all at once. The good news is, you have realised you have reached that point, and need to do something to tackle it :)

For a start, you are here, posting about it. That's a positive step forward, as the support and advice you will see in these threads is very, very useful in regaining an "interest " in getting back in control.

I've been through Burnout big time , when my life fell apart, and diabetes seemed the least of my worries. In retrospect, I was wrong, as the diabetes is still here (!) and all the other bits of the sh*tstorm that was my life have faded away to nothingness. But the not bothering with control nearly cost me my life with DKA. It took that, and a long hard look at where I was going to turn things around. What I've discovered is that I needed a change of attitude towards the big "D", and took it on in a way of actually achieving control in one area of my life, where I had lost it in others.

My first bit of advice would be to take some time off sick to try and get your BG's under control, you can't work with thm that high, and your job situation doesn't really give you the ideal situation to tackle it. Get an appointment with your GP, or even better, your hospital diabetic nurse ASAP. They will be familiar with burnout, and will help you get back on track.

Make friends with your meter, I know it's a hassle testing, but see your meter as being there to help you, I got mine a new case, frog shaped to try and change the way I felt about it !

And keep posting and reading here :D

Signy

Reactions: 10 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Hello,

Little bit about me first, I'm 22, had type 1 diabetes for 9 years now. I work as a waitress doing at least 12 hour shifts 5 days a week, lucky to get a break or food! Nevertheless, recently last 2 and half weeks, my blood sugar levels have been constantly high over 20 most of the time but I've also been eating badly and not carb counting neither just taking insulin here and there. I wouldn't say I've stopped caring but I've had a lot of other personal issues (bad i know but i use to have a drug problem and been going through counselling, pleased to say been clean for 17 weeks now but still fighting the mental and emotional side to it) on that ive sorta put my diabetes to one side without realising. Well didn't feel well at all yesterday but went into work and was forgetful, clumsy you name it then tonight ive been sent home from work as I started to come across drunk falling all over the place, glazed eyes, hyper and embarrassing myself in front of customers. I've been reading up on this diabetes burnout thing and I do feel like I'm struggling atm but I've only just realised now. Has anyone got any advice on how to get past this and start taking care of myself and my diabetes again! Sorry for the long speech!! Sometimes feel a little lonely as a diabetic too and this is my first post thanks! Vic x
I've been clean nearly thirty years and I was a bad ass!
Big money big habit.
You'll get there.
Love and peas Vics.

Reactions: 5 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Stay strong and Good luck Vic it took me a long time to accept I needed help and I'm still working on it today but our diabetic nurse is your best friend mine has been so kind and helpful even when i've been a difficult little...well you can guess. Hope for the best for you :)

Adele99

Just wondering if you can also check your ketone levels, with saying you were sent home from work because of slurring your speech, and stumbling. If you can think you should just to be safe as diabetic coma can creep up on quite quickly, especially if you live alone.

Reactions: 4 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Hello,

You must get the point over to your boss that your falling about vacant stuff was diabetes related.
If he doesn't know about the drug stuff in the past then he doesn't need to know about it now.
He will not understand or have time for all that twelve step NA stuff if you're into it.
He won't understand won't want to understand and lets face it ... why should he?
Your problems today are your diabetes and whatever else but seriously ... the guy who is employing you isn't a social worker or an angel.
He's employing you to do a job and not to burden him.You have to see your medical sources and use them as best you can ... whatever you do don't put anything on your employer in this day and age that you don't have to need to.
Are you eating enough ... getting whatever medication you need for various situations?
You have got to look after yourself.
Keep posting on this forum ... all the knowledge and experience and advice possible is here or ... a link or two away.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm a dumb T2, and just opinion but if you feel crook still, get to out of hours or A&E
put this past your medical adviser first..
as @Adele99 said you may need to check your keytones. do you have your sickday rules to follow..... example, http://www.diabetes-healthnet.ac.uk...flet_-_Sick_Day_Rules_for_Type_1_-_Nov_13.pdf

to get your bg back on track they say to sort your basal dose testing first and the T1's of the forum should be here in the morning to help
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/info/?page_id=120

when you feel a bit better, there is a free online course and workbooks as a refresher

http://www.diabetesinscotland.org.uk/Publications/9224 Overview
Workbook 1
http://www.diabetesinscotland.org.uk/Publications/9225 Carbohydrate Counting.pdf
Workbook 2
http://www.diabetesinscotland.org.uk/Publications/9226 Carbohydrate Counting the Next Steps.pdf

Carb list
http://www.diabetesinscotland.org.uk/Publications/9227 Carbohydrate Tables A6.pdf

Diary
http://www.diabetesinscotland.org.uk/Publications/9228 Free Diary Portrait A4.pdf
free register to course
http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm a bit worried now (the worrying mother hen LOL) - I hope she's ok :nailbiting:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It is difficult when your dealing with so many other issues in your personal life and having to manage type 1 diabetes, I think mosst of us have been there at some point in our diabetes journey.

As heathenlass says take some time out from work (if possible) and seek help from your diabetes care team to try and get back on top of your diabetes control, if you've not been on a carb counting course such as DAFNE I would ask your DSN if you can put your name down for the next available course, on these carb counting courses they cover most aspects of type 1 diabetes management and this will help you get back on top of things.

In the mean-time there's an on-line carb counting course which is similar to DAFNE and by all accounts it's very good, register and see if it helps you:

http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

btw, well done on reaching 17 weeks mark, hope this continues.

vics10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone and thank you all for your advice!
I think getting in touch with my diabetes team is what I need to do in the morning especially as it's my day off work. Get the ball rolling and all!

I've never been on a carb counting course and been trying to do it for years but ive got to the point where im not counting, im just turning my insulin pen to a estimate and hoping for the best (I know not great) as leads to ups and downs constantly!

Thanks for all the kind words and advice ☺

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Do let us know how you get on - I've got my fingers crossed you manage to get some good help today :)