Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
@Susiespearish I would drop the skimmed milk (higher in sugar) and go for semi-skimmed or full. Low-fat products tend to have added sugar to replace the texture/taste of taking the fat out - check the carb content per 100g on the labels (ignore the 'of which sugar' bit, that's of little relevance to diabetics).

6.0 here this morning, creeping back down after a hectic week (not as hectic as Diana's though).

Reactions: 3 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Do follow the advice and encouragement from those here like Andrew and others with proven track records

Keep us posted with your progress
Proven is a bit strong - you say it as though I had a plan. For me (like most I expect) it started out as a panic, learn everything I can from all the biochem books (helps being that way inclined) as that way you don't get a spoon fed approach.

The other thing that is really important is to exercise your muscles. They are the best sponge for the glucose in your system but they ignore it unless you stress them. So I always did exercise from about 60 to 90 mins after eating. This started out as about 10 mins as that was more than I could handle on a bike. I added stairs to that up and down the flight 20 times (about 260 steps) then eventually got a treadmill. Try not to do rigorous exercise at the beginning as it may push up your BG levels. Do enough to reduce it and stop. For me that is easy to say as I can tell my levels from the temperature of my fingers and how far down the cold goes; may be you will detect a marker, may be you won't and will have to test after 10 mins a few times

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
4.5 for me this morning.

Having droned on, and on, and, er,..... on about these high reading strips, I have decided how I'm going to fast-track my way through them. I'm going to get on and do my 24 hour testing. I mean; how many times have I told others we're looking for trends as much as numbers? I need to walk the walk, not just talk the talk. So, I now just have to pick a day. It's probably going to be Monday>Tuesday or Tuesday>Wednesday, as they are so far, clear of commitments that could get in the way of prompt, discreet finger pricking.

Today will mainly be devoted to lawns and edges.

Onward and, well, onwards.

Have a great day folks.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Susiespearish I admit to having skimmed milk in my tea because I hate creamy tea, but I worked out how much of the milk I have in a typical day, and it is only 6 carbs over the day, so I'm happy with that. It's the only low fat product that I do have. We are all different.

Yo-yo'ing again
6.3 at bedtime
6.0 this morning.

Reactions: 4 people

dale1958

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
vegetables
@Susiespearish I admit to having skimmed milk in my tea because I hate creamy tea, but I worked out how much of the milk I have in a typical day, and it is only 6 carbs over the day, so I'm happy with that. It's the only low fat product that I do have. We are all different.

Yo-yo'ing again
6.3 at bedtime
6.0 this morning.
Just been looking through various foods in relation to carbs, some don't mention them at all but do mention saturates is this just another word for carbs and if not i suppose i should keep away from these?

Silver Hammer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
4.8 again this morning. Another day in the garden today to finish off laying a new path.

Maxwell

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just been looking through various foods in relation to carbs, some don't mention them at all but do mention saturates is this just another word for carbs and if not i suppose i should keep away from these?

Saturates are fats, not carbs, and will not do your BS any harm but it's up to you to decide whether saturated fats are good or bad in other ways.
Where have you been looking? Nutrition labels on foods are obliged by law in the UK to state how many calories/carbs/fats/fibre per 100g are in that food. Fresh food and alcohol don't have these labels.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
never tried spinnach....hate salad cept mid summer but having to force myself to eat...... watching what i eat before i go see nurse but know it will cause me to lose weight arghhhhh so will have to look for some snacks to make that are low carb

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Saturates relates to the makeup of fat in a product not carbs, it's up to you how much you avoid them. Monounsaturated fat like olive oil is thought to be best, and natural fats like butter rather than polyunsaturated stuff.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.3 today but that was just now as I slept in. Watched Hugh. Jackman in Australia and read into small hours.

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.6 this morning.......another busy shift ahead soon - day off in sight tomorrow though!

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Proven is a bit strong - you say it as though I had a plan. For me (like most I expect) it started out as a panic, learn everything I can from all the biochem books (helps being that way inclined) as that way you don't get a spoon fed approach.

Well, a method then! I'm better at words than numbers, (just ask my bank manager!) but the fact that numbers feature tells me there is a science to LCHF.

I do personally feel that its important to focus on the replies from folk who not only follow this plan, but who have the ability to explain it, share practical tips and offer the benefit of their wisdom and experience, especially for new members who are still finding their way and admit to being confused at the many choices available, and are wondering which one to follow and which one will actually be effective, given that changing habits of a lifetime can seem a little like playing Russian Roulette with our health.

When I joined this site, reading the posts and encouragement from regular members was like a lightbulb moment. It just takes one inspired sentence from someone who has proved, and is willing to explain how these changes work, to enable us to take that leap of faith.

The ongoing encouragement from seasoned members helps keep us on that path. To names names here would be wrong, but I hope you all know who you are. Don't ever underestimate the value of your support and encouragement, whether you have a proven track record, a method or just a plan that works!

Reactions: 8 people

dale1958

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
vegetables
Saturates are fats, not carbs, and will not do your BS any harm but it's up to you to decide whether saturated fats are good or bad in other ways.
Where have you been looking? Nutrition labels on foods are obliged by law in the UK to state how many calories/carbs/fats/fibre per 100g are in that food. Fresh food and alcohol don't have these labels.
oops sorry there was another label on the back you are right thank you for that

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
25.2 this morning not surprised had a chines takeaway last night as I always do on Fridays forgot my tablets until 1 hour after meal and only took gliclazide as metmorfin making me run to the toilet, so I pick up my metmorfin sr today will start them for a few days whilst I get my head around carbs and forget the self testing for the weekend

Dale - May I ask why you're having the weekend off self testing?

Whilst you may feel you wouldn't learn anything, whilst you're not taking your Metformin, I think you would. You're looking for both the number you achieve, but at least as importantly how much the after meal number rises from the reading you take before eating. Even if you're not modifying your diet, you will learn which foods are kinder, or otherwise, to you.

The reality is that Metformin doesn't make a massive difference to your blood numbers. It helps with insulin resistance and and suppresses you appetite. With the numbers you are currently showing, you can learn a lot. So, if this weekend, you have, for example, a before reading of 10 and an after of 15 or 20, then that food is going to be tricky for you - almost whatever medication you are taking. Doo you keep a food diary, so that you can look back on what your readings mean over time?

I would urge you to test, and not have days off, after all, our bodies don't get a day off from diabetes, unfortunately.

Reactions: 6 people

dale1958

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
vegetables
Dale - May I ask why you're having the weekend off self testing?

Whilst you may feel you wouldn't learn anything, whilst you're not taking your Metformin, I think you would. You're looking for both the number you achieve, but at least as importantly how much the after meal number rises from the reading you take before eating. Even if you're not modifying your diet, you will learn which foods are kinder, or otherwise, to you.

The reality is that Metformin doesn't make a massive difference to your blood numbers. It helps with insulin resistance and and suppresses you appetite. With the numbers you are currently showing, you can learn a lot. So, if this weekend, you have, for example, a before reading of 10 and an after of 15 or 20, then that food is going to be tricky for you - almost whatever medication you are taking. Doo you keep a food diary, so that you can look back on what your readings mean over time?

I would urge you to test, and not have days off, after all, our bodies don't get a day off from diabetes, unfortunately.
I Just feel very confused at the moment having only been aware of carbs this week and constantly very high even when I think I am doing things right My thinking is two fold 1 to have a good weekend eat sensibly and give my body time to adjust to the new meds, and 2 I figure more importent than results which constantly lower my morale is to forget about them at least for a 2-3 days I suspect a lot of people may not agree with this, but I think at this moment in time it is right for me

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I Just feel very confused at the moment having only been aware of carbs this week and constantly very high even when I think I am doing things right My thinking is two fold 1 to have a good weekend eat sensibly and give my body time to adjust to the new meds, and 2 I figure more importent than results which constantly lower my morale is to forget about them at least for a 2-3 days I suspect a lot of people may not agree with this, but I think at this moment in time it is right for me

The confusions is completely understandable. We've all been there, and I remember it well. But, part of getting rid of the confusion is to understand the interaction of our bodies and the food we are consuming. It's a bit of a roller-coaster ride, but knowledge is power.

If you intend to "eat sensibly", then, rather than be demoralised, you might actually have some pleasant surprises. If you intend to just step away from everything until Monday (or whenever), then there's a danger that come Monday you can't face it. Have you ever thought to yourself (before all of this), "I'll start my diet on Monday", and somehow it just doesn't quite happen?

Clearly, you have to decide what you do, but whatever you eat this weekend your bloods will do what they do. Maybe you're much less curious than me. I can be a bit of a data monster.

I'll get off your case now. But, good luck, whichever route you take. :)

Reactions: 4 people
Status
Not open for further replies.