Partners of Diabetics

messy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My partner is type 1, has been since a child, now I'm diabetic...

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
sure there are :) its always great to see someone who cares enough about there friends/partner/family member to seek knowledge to help :) some folks just arent the type to use the internet so its very important they get the wealth of knowledge out there

Reactions: 4 people

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@Patricia762 as a partner of a diabetic with T2 I have found the forum very useful in helping me to deal with the various issues that have arisen and continue to arise......I see that someone has already put a link to one of my threads....
Unfortunately I don't know much about T1 but I am sure that you will find other people out there in a similar position to yourself who can give you advice and support.

Patricia762

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
@Patricia762 as a partner of a diabetic with T2 I have found the forum very useful in helping me to deal with the various issues that have arisen and continue to arise......I see that someone has already put a link to one of my threads....
Unfortunately I don't know much about T1 but I am sure that you will find other people out there in a similar position to yourself who can give you advice and support.
Thank you for your reply, it is good to read other partners experiences and advice, i feel very left out by the medical profession, even though i am the one buying and cooking the foods, watching hubby struggle with diabetes, watching him get moody and afraid to do anything in case his sugars go to low. I know this is is Honeymoon period and everything will settle down, but i am so overwhelmed some days, i just want to walk away...i never would though

Reactions: 4 people

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Feel free to look around the forums and ask any questions you may have! People around here are awesome and very helpful, there's always someone who will be able to give you some advice :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Not a partner, but a type 1.. And believe me my hubby has had **** to deal with at times!!

Worst time was pain in legs.. But from this forum I learnt that my eating had been low carbs for years.. Without enough fat... Poor hubby put up with **** with me being in so much pain. However, learning from poster "phoenix" has helped so much that I have not had any probs since increasing fat...

Medics give pain relief according to a 10 min appt. This forum has given me my life back. Especially thanks to good advice from "phoenix".

I've been a pain to hubby sometimes, but lesser so since advice from here....

Some partners like molly56 care so much but there diabetic partners don't.

Its tough being a partner. Its tough being diabetic too!!

Reactions: 2 people

Patricia762

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
Not a partner, but a type 1.. And believe me my hubby has had **** to deal with at times!!

Worst time was pain in legs.. But from this forum I learnt that my eating had been low carbs for years.. Without enough fat... Poor hubby put up with **** with me being in so much pain. However, learning from poster "phoenix" has helped so much that I have not had any probs since increasing fat...

Medics give pain relief according to a 10 min appt. This forum has given me my life back. Especially thanks to good advice from "phoenix".

I've been a pain to hubby sometimes, but lesser so since advice from here....

Some partners like molly56 care so much but there diabetic partners don't.

Its tough being a partner. Its tough being diabetic too!!
Thank you, diabetes is tough on everyone and thank you so much for telling me about eating more fat, because hubby is only newly diagnosed we are still struggling with the do`s and dont`s of diet, you think you are getting it right when you get the numbers below 8 and then find out you may be causing future problems. One reason i love this forum is the advice is coming from people who live daily with diabetes..thank you again

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I am on a pump and much better controlled using this than at any time of being mdi.

I have always worried about levels over 8.0. However, in my earliest days hypo's were the worst fear. I tried so hard to keep levels under 8.0 that hypo's were too frequent.

You both will be fine, providing you remember that it is soooo important to live, love and enjoy too. Don't become too obsessed....

Reactions: 2 people