Rapid D anyone?

Hillary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was having problems with my accu-chek flexi link - too many set failures so I tried the tender link but same problem. Now I am thinking maybe my body is just not liking the insert and I should try a metal one. How do you go with the Rapid D? I am wondering about comfort, especially if you lie on them at night. They sound very easy to insert and seem to sit quite flat.

I will soldier on with the flexi link for the time being because I am going away to Bali for 5 weeks and don't want to mess around atm, when I come back I will have to just try it out but any wisdom any of you have would be gratefully received. I am not too worried about having to change every 2 days because I am lucky to get that as it is!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
What problems are you having?

Hillary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
All going in ok, but high sugars on day 2 usually, nothing obviously wrong when pull out set but can be a bit sore.

iHs

Are you sure that your basal rate is correct as there was a time when I was convinced that the infusion sets were not working very well but when I took them out there was nothing wrong so I then thought the pump wasnt working as it should but by and large it was the basal rate that needed to change.

If you get ok control on the first day, then just take the set out at 48hrs instead of 72hrs.

Hillary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
No have tested my basal and is ok. Yes maybe I will have to change every 2 days.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

I've just changed to Rapid Ds from the Tenderlinks. I've just inserted my first Rapid D quite literally 5 minutes ago.

The first thing I noticed was that it didn't hurt! I'm used to those scary long introducer needles with the Tenderlinks, but this steel cannula went in without me feeling anything. That actually worried me as I was sticking it in my bum and couldn't see very well so thought maybe it hadn't gone in. I obviously don't know how it's working yet, but I just wanted to say it was far less painful than I was imagining. I've been using an insulin pump for ten years and have only ever used Teflon cannulas inserted at a 45 degree angle so this was very different.

One question though - what do you put on the ends to protect them when you have a shower? The Tenderlink has a complete two-part cap thing in each set packet so I didn't realise this wouldn't have something similar. Do you have to order caps separately then? Excuse the stupid question!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Rapid d's brilliant!!

Can't use flex ones. I recognosed that flexlink plus were faulty and no one here believed me... Basically told me it was basals, settings etc.. Really tough going but I informed accucheck and mhra and I was right.

If you are getting regular occlusions on day 3 or before with plastic sets, EVERYBODY should be reporting this as a fault. You should NOT be having occlusions on a regular basis.

Rapid d's fantastic. You know if they feel right once you've put a coue in. Rarely one feels wrong, and if it does feel odd then it normally feels like it immediately when putting in. I sometimes accidentally put too near my hip bone and have felt it when lying down, but thats because I am lean and I've put it in the wrong place.

The other brilliant thing is that you prime it BEFORE you put it in so you have no doubts that "have I done a prime measurement, how do I know its working?"

I would never go back to a horrible inserter or flex as they were awful with me. The flexlinks were just as bad.

I would say to everyone, if Accuchek say you should get 3 days and you aren't phone them for every occlusion. Do NOT believe anybody that tells you its your basals before trying the rapid d's.

Hillary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you everyone for that help. I have decided to stick with the flexi link during my 5 week holiday (next week YAY) but take extra infusion set only packs then try out the Rapid D when I return. How do you plug it up for showering or swimming?

iHs

There's a blue slip on rubber blanking cap that can be used on the set end tube for use in the shower etc. I use one but loads dont so its optional.

im using a rapid d at the moment

Reactions: 2 people