Diarhroea control?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Is Imodium any use for controlling Metformin diarrhoea problems.
Diagnosed early this year T2, 4 metformin a day at first now 2, still get the runs.
Had diarrhoea the last 3days took an Imodium tablet and a couple of Rennies seemed to have stopped it, or was it just luck

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Is Imodium any use for controlling Metformin diarrhoea problems.
Diagnosed early this year T2, 4 metformin a day at first now 2, still get the runs.
Had diarrhoea the last 3days took an Imodium tablet and a couple of Rennies seemed to have stopped it, or was it just luck

I 'm Type 2 and have been on Metformin SR for about 9 years and have always suffered from painful diarrhoea 3 days out of 5. I had a colonoscopy eventually and they found a malignant polyp, so it was just as well. The surgeon suggested that the problem was Metformin so I was put onto other medication, which made me put on weight. Eventually I was like a balloon and I was put back on Metformin. I'm still being checked annually for cancer, but so far am clear. Lopiramide (generic name for Imodium) is excellent for controlling the bowel so it's just a question of putting up with the side effects.

Actually the Metformin plus Levemir plus Victoza plus Humilin S doesn't control my sugar levels. I also tried a low carb/high fat diet to get rid of some of the weight I've been carrying all these years but that just made me ill - very! There doesn't seem any way out for me and at 69 I begin to wonder if I'll see 70. At least I'll get value from my insurance policy, which I recently discovered runs out at 70!

col888

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hang in there Annb, getting rid of most carbs doesn't work for everyone I know. Maybe swapping to slow release carbs gl bread and the like would help. I'm 76 and diagnosed earlier this year, quite a shock so late in life.
Hope something works for you, after all you've been through.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Susan1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My GP suggested Co-phenatrope because Imodium made me feel sick. It has been brilliant but can only be obtained On prescription so you'll need to see your GP. Took a while to get my dosage sorted and it can be difficult to get but it's worked well for me.

col888

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have the dreaded diarrhoea under control at the moment.
Pretty sure they were down to wrong type of carbs, slow release way to go, rather than Low carb high fat diet. Used to have a lot of dried fruit and nuts for breakfast, no info on packets to read , so didn't consider the very high concentrated sugar content ( pretty sure they were the culprits)
Now back on brown bread GL and upped the carbs to between 50 - 100 per day. Making meals much easier and more filling, seem to be able to manage without spiking. Not suitable for most I know, but there are many degrees of diabetes, so it will suit some.

Rach123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello there

I agree with jack412. Ask gp for slow release metformin. I had to do this for my mum who experienced diarrhoea on a daily basis however, I don't think it completely stopped the diarrhoea attacks, just lessened them. In saying that everyone is different, and slow release might be perfect for you as an induvidual. My mum is now off slow release metformin due to sugars going too high and is now on diabetes medication called Gliclazide. Maybe this tablet could help you if slow release metformin doesn't.

Don't quote me on this but I seem to remember some time ago being told by a pharmacist that Loperamide tablets are good to stop sudden diarrhoea attacks. If this is the correct name then it's what my mum took before a family gathering and it worked a treat for her.

I hope this helps you, best wishes

Rach123

n_walters

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know I'm adding this message late to the thread but it might help others taking metformin.
I was recently diagnosed type 2 and put on these tablets, and suffered cramps, upset stomach etc etc. until a friend do a friend told me to take them in the middle of your meal. Next day no problems at all, and I have only had one more bad episode, and that was when I forgot them and took them 20 minutes after food. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 2 people

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I use Metformin SR and it seems OK, butI do have IBS. I find Imodium Instants help.
Hana

airsair

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been on diagemet sr for 3 months and still got terrible wind and stomach upset. I take 4x500mg.
Have i give it long enough?
Should i ask to try Glucosage when i go for my 1st appointment next week?

airsair

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I will try eating in middle of meal first though as suggested.

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I am on Immodium Syrup (POM-Prescription Only). My GP told me that sometimes the capsules can "shoot through you" and won't work. I have had a lot of bowel surgery and have not a lot of colon left. The syrup is fast acting and for me is great.