Type 1 having trouble losing weight

ida92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi!

I've been trying to lose weight since January 2014, but I seem to be doing something wrong as my current weight is almost exactly the same... I'm 22, female, exercising 4 times a week, and my hba1c is pretty good.
In theory it's really simple - consume less than you use, and that's exactly what I've been doing. But even though I'm on a well-balanced, healthy diet nothing is happening! At most it's like down 200 grams a week, but then it suddenly stops and I'm back where I started. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding what's causing this? Or any tips/tricks?

Thank you! :)

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi ida92 and welcome to the forum :)

As a type 1 diabetic your entitled to see a Dietitian as part of your diabetes care plan, they will advise you on reducing your calorie intake so that you will begin to lose weight, if your under the care of the hospital clinic you can ask your DSN to refer you or alternatively ask your gp.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi ida92

I have a similar issue. My diet is already well balanced (spoken to dietician) and so needed to increase exercise to get fitter. Unfortunately, in order to avoid hypo when working out I've got to eat a lot of empty calories. As a result I've gained 4lbs since xmas!

On the flip side, I'm noticeably fitter. I can do things (run) I could never do before. So although my weight isn't going down I have made myself healthier in general!

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
its all down to carbs I suppose, how many carbs does your diet consist of.........

the more carbs, the more insulin, the less accurate and effective the dose is.....

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
its all down to carbs I suppose, how many carbs does your diet consist of.........

the more carbs, the more insulin, the less accurate and effective the dose is.....

I average 100-150g per day depending on whether I've been to the gym or not. It's not a case of the dose being "accurate". My basal rates are correct (having just finished testing them). For me it is purely insulin sensitivity and being in the honeymoon still after 18 months. I turn pump down to 10% for an hour before exercise but I can still hypo easily

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I average 100-150g per day depending on whether I've been to the gym or not. It's not a case of the dose being "accurate". My basal rates are correct (having just finished testing them). For me it is purely insulin sensitivity and being in the honeymoon still after 18 months. I turn pump down to 10% for an hour before exercise but I can still hypo easily

How's things going with the pump Hale? We don't see you much on the forum nowadays which is a shame as your posts always make good reading.

btw, I suspect your weight gain is due to building muscle mass from all the exercise your doing :)

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
muscle gain could be a good theory.........

do you feel you still have extra weight on you in certain places, or are you looking at scales in comparison to a target you have.......?

how often do you go low when exercising......? what do you use to treat them..........

you seem to be pretty clued up and doing all the right things........so well done.......

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm married to a lifelong T1 and know from being with him that losing weight whilst using insulin is HARD. Do you have a regime where you can alter your doses? If so you might try reducing your carbs and reducing insulin to match.It worked a bit for my husband. His insulin went down to about half what he was using before and there's been some loss. Now unfortunately his kidneys are failing and that affects how insulin behaves in the body. Nevertheless, he's losing VERY SLOWLY by reducing his total food intake.
You say you're exercising, which will keep you fit, but it's unlikely to take much weight off unless you do hours a day every day. It should prevent gaining however.
Try less food, particularly carbs and less insulin. Getting hypos won't help,[because of how you correct them] so keep your BGs even.
Hana

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How's things going with the pump Hale? We don't see you much on the forum nowadays which is a shame as your posts always make good reading.

btw, I suspect your weight gain is due to building muscle mass from all the exercise your doing :)

I lurk rather than post now. Got sick of the great low carb debate!

Loving my pump, just making final tweaks to bolus ratios but generally all set up. Dr is really pleased with how easy I've found it, think it's because I had read so much about what to do before starting!

Unfortunately I've gained fat not muscle, had to buy new trousers in bigger sizes! I'll get there

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
muscle gain could be a good theory.........

do you feel you still have extra weight on you in certain places, or are you looking at scales in comparison to a target you have.......?

how often do you go low when exercising......? what do you use to treat them..........

you seem to be pretty clued up and doing all the right things........so well done.......

Gained weight in my waist so definitely not all muscle, although a small amount will be of course. I tend to judge weight gain by the way my clothes fit (or don't fit right now!)

I no longer go low when exercising, but only as I eat prior and during.

Today for example:
3:45 7.9 - 20g snack set temp basal 10%
I honeymoon in the afternoon so not a shock when...
5pm 5.8 - 10g haribo and start workout
5:15pm 5.1 - 10g haribo
5:30 5.6 - give up on workout, another 10g haribo

It's a losing battle, but I know heart health etc makes it worth continuing to work out despite eating more than I burn! I think it should get better if this honeymoon ever ends

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hopefully the honeymoon will end soon............

haribo seems like a strange choice of carb, is this what you use for hypo.........?

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hopefully the honeymoon will end soon............

haribo seems like a strange choice of carb, is this what you use for hypo.........?

Either haribo or apple juice depending on my mood. Haribo comes in Little bags of 10g carb so perfect to avoid an over treat

Fat max

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi!

I've been trying to lose weight since January 2014, but I seem to be doing something wrong as my current weight is almost exactly the same... I'm 22, female, exercising 4 times a week, and my hba1c is pretty good.
In theory it's really simple - consume less than you use, and that's exactly what I've been doing. But even though I'm on a well-balanced, healthy diet nothing is happening! At most it's like down 200 grams a week, but then it suddenly stops and I'm back where I started. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding what's causing this? Or any tips/tricks?

Thank you! :)[/QUOTE

Hi, I have just become a member of the forum. I am type 1, for nearly fifty years, and have struggled with controlling my weight for the past ten years. Has anyone tried Almased? If so, does it work? Longterm?
I am a typical yo yo dieter. Would love to hear other dieters experiences. Thank you. Fat axFat ax