Sorghum Flour, any good?

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been trying my hand at this low carb baking lark, with variable success. As I am not keen on the flavour of most nuts, coconut flour is totally out, ground almonds I can manage in small amounts and ground hazelnuts seem very hard to get hold off, I have been looking for alternatives and come across Sorghum Flour, supposedly it is low carb and is a fraction of the price of Ground Almonds. So I am wondering if anyone has tried it and what the results were like, taste and texture wise.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorghum flour? Thats a new one on me. I hope my post helps you get a response.:)

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I guess some people don't understand the difference between gluten free and low carb then, I had read some where it was a low carb alternative and found it on Amazon, glad I didn't order any. I might try sourcing flax or soy flour then, they look far better, just a matter of availability and cost.

Thanks for the answers

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
milled flax seed is available in holland and barrett:)

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use a combination of ground almonds and dessicated coconut, blitzed in a processor, and sometimes a coffee grinder. It's not bad for occasional use.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love the flavour of coconut, but I struggle with the endless bitty chewyness of desiccated. So I tend to sub coconut flour with almond...

I'm afraid that, with deep regret, grains in any form are a disaster.

Buckwheat can work though (despite the name, it's not a grain), but I've only had it in pancakes and noodles. I wonder how it bakes?

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Coconut, as I said I can't stand the flavour of, other nuts I can manage in small amounts. I know grains are a problem and that is why I am looking for alternatives and like you say some names can be misleading. Guess I will be trying Holland and Barratt this weekend.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I tried to find the GI of Sorghum and came across an Msc thesis where it had been tested with a very odd result. (not explained, just pointed out ) They made muffins with various flours, each flour contained 20g carb rather than the normal 50g for GI testing. As you can see the muffins made with the intermediate ground Sorghum flour had the lowest GI (but the coarse one was higher, very odd)
So it could be better than wheat flour but could be worse!
https://krex.k-state.edu/dspace/bitstream/handle/2097/13810/AshleyPruett2012.pdf?sequence=1

sorghum.JPG

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Phoenix that is intriguing and shows what a minefield this is. Try and test seems to be about the only real option.