SD codefree meter

lynn grace

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, I am using the codefree meter and cannot understand why I get one reading and I do it again within a minute and the reading is so different this is happening everytime I use it. I wash my hands before i use it, has anyone else had this problem? as I don't know which reading to take as being correct. lynn

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Lynn,

All home meters are the same. None of them is accurate to within about 15% either way. Accuracy isn't that important for Type 2's. All we are looking for are trends. I have had as much as a 2mmol/l difference between 2 consecutive readings. All you can do is average them, or take 3 readings and see if 2 of them are similar, then take the higher of the 2 similar ones, or average all 3.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
They're not always accurate (no domestic meters are) and any one reading could be within a 20% range. They're best for longer term trends rather than spot values - even though we record the spot values! How big a difference are you getting?

lynn grace

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They're not always accurate (no domestic meters are) and any one reading could be within a 20% range. They're best for longer term trends rather than spot values - even though we record the spot values! How big a difference are you getting?
hi. around 2 sometimes 3 mmol

lynn grace

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Lynn,

All home meters are the same. None of them is accurate to within about 15% either way. Accuracy isn't that important for Type 2's. All we are looking for are trends. I have had as much as a 2mmol/l difference between 2 consecutive readings. All you can do is average them, or take 3 readings and see if 2 of them are similar, then take the higher of the 2 similar ones, or average all 3.
hi bluetit, I will try that 3 times. I was just hoping I might be able to get an accurate reading im trying so hard to bring the sugar level down and I look at the meter and get just a little disappointed. thanks for your advice. lynn

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hi bluetit, I will try that 3 times. I was just hoping I might be able to get an accurate reading im trying so hard to bring the sugar level down and I look at the meter and get just a little disappointed. thanks for your advice. lynn

Don't get disappointed. If you are eating a suitable diet your numbers will come down gradually and you will see this if you look at averages over, say a week or month at a time. Just accept what your meter says unless you get a truly unexpected rogue reading (which we all get from time to time), then re-test, but otherwise I advise you not to.

lynn grace

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't get disappointed. If you are eating a suitable diet your numbers will come down gradually and you will see this if you look at averages over, say a week or month at a time. Just accept what your meter says unless you get a truly unexpected rogue reading (which we all get from time to time), then re-test, but otherwise I advise you not to.
thanks a lot I will take your advice.lynn

Reactions: 2 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
My advice is save your money and your skin by not keep repeat testing trying to get a number you like.
You're looking for averages ... the numbers are average.
Three times a day at the most for me.
I have changed my eating totally ... very low carb fairly high fat and the scales are telling me I have lost a stone in six weeks.
I'm feeling better.
Looking better.
I don't count or weigh anything.
I have diabetes not diabetes has me is my approach and the docs at the surgery can't get their head around me not taking three Metformin a day but just one first thing.
My blood sugars are levelling out nicely and my weight is down energy up .... by defying them and listening to you lot.
I know we're all different but try not to let this illness dominate your life ... define who and what you are.
I don't go for the ... I'm Jack and I'm a diabetic.
I prefer ... I'm Jack and I have diabetes and am often a miserable old fart because of it and other ailments but today I'm happy smiling and feeling generous so make the most of it while you can!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

lynn grace

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My advice is save your money and your skin by not keep repeat testing trying to get a number you like.
You're looking for averages ... the nyumbers are average.
Three times a day at the most for me.
I have changed my eating totally ... very low carb fairly high fat and the scales are telling me I have lost a stone in six weeks.
I'm feeling better.
Looking better.
I don't count or weigh anything.
I have diabetes not diabetes has me is my approach and the docs at the surgery can't get their head around me not taking three Metformin a day but just one first thing.
My blood sugars are levelling out nicely and my weight is down energy up .... by defying them and listening to you lot.
I know we're all different but try not to let this illness dominate your life ... define who and what you are.
I don't go for the ... I'm Jack and I'm a diabetic.
I prefer ... I'm Jack and I have diabetes and am often a miserable old fart because of it and other ailments but today I'm happy smiling and feeling generous so make the most of it while you can!
Hi jackthelad, thanks for your advice, im not on any medication yet ive changed my diet and joined a gym I go there 5 days a week, ive also lost just over a stone, I suppose im trying very hard to bring the sugar level down as the doctor has given me until October to do so before he puts me on medication. I feel im doing well just having trouble getting the fasting reading down. lynn

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I can't do the gym stuff I'm afraid because of spinal problems.
Remember ... muscles used to be a sign of slavery and ignorance!!!!!!:cool:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The fasting reading is almost always the last reading to come down because it depends on so many factors. There is the Dawn Phenomenon to take into account, then how much protein you ate the previous day might have some affect, what time you last ate, and also sleep disturbance. Best not to worry too much about it if your day time numbers are coming down nicely.

What sort of levels are you getting?

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I can't do the gym stuff I'm afraid because of spinal problems.
Remember ... muscles used to be a sign of slavery and ignorance!!!!!!:cool:
Bit like tattoos really ... the domain of bikers sailors and the convicted but everyones at it now!

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
@JACKTHELAD I love your attitude to diabetes. I particularly liked the last two lines of your post. Brilliant!!:)
In certain quarters I'm affectionately known as grumpy granddad!

lynn grace

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The fasting reading is almost always the last reading to come down because it depends on so many factors. There is the Dawn Phenomenon to take into account, then how much protein you ate the previous day might have some affect, what time you last ate, and also sleep disturbance. Best not to worry too much about it if your day time numbers are coming down nicely.

What sort of levels are you getting?
bluetit, I don't eat after 6pm if I do its usualy a few almonds,and I sleep real well,in june the doc said my reading was 8.5 my reading taking your advice and doing an average over the last month is 7.8 so its coming down but I thought my fasting reading should be between 4 and 7 I will keep at the low carb diet and the exercise and hope its down in October when I go see the doc again, I realy am worried to go on meds my doc seems to put people on metmorfin and im sure its good for most people but my mum was on it and 3 month in she was told to come off it as it had damaged her kidneys and she died of kidney failure, im not saying it will do the same for me but it does worry me, that's why im hoping to try and control this without meds. lynn

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you test before going to bed? Try it if you don't. If there is a significant difference between night and morning, it may be the dreaded liver dump that many people experience (including non diabetics) when the liver thinks your body is short of food, so dumps glucose in your system to help get you up and moving in the morning.

I'm sorry to hear about your mum. I'm also not on medication, but it was never actually offered and by the time of my next test I had reduced my levels so again no meds.

lynn grace

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you test before going to bed? Try it if you don't. If there is a significant difference between night and morning, it may be the dreaded liver dump that many people experience (including non diabetics) when the liver thinks your body is short of food, so dumps glucose in your system to help get you up and moving in the morning.

I'm sorry to hear about your mum. I'm also not on medication, but it was never actually offered and by the time of my next test I had reduced my levels so again no meds.
my readings before bed are 6.7 to 7.2 but mainly 6.7

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It looks like you are getting a liver dump then. If you enter Dawn Phenomenon in the search box you will find a lot of threads and posts about it. It's a perfectly natural event, and not a lot can be done about it, although some people find a small snack of something non-carb at bedtime helps - a small piece of cheese perhaps.

lynn grace

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It looks like you are getting a liver dump then. If you enter Dawn Phenomenon in the search box you will find a lot of threads and posts about it. It's a perfectly natural event, and not a lot can be done about it, although some people find a small snack of something non-carb at bedtime helps - a small piece of cheese perhaps.
thankyou bluetit I will look at that, I cant thank you enough for your help and advice. lynn

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.