Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What @kimbo1962 said!! Good shout, Kimbo.

Not being a sweet eater (and no chocolate whatsoever since diagnosis), that never crossed my mind. Now then, a great big bowl of fruit and I'd be in heaven. I can eat some fruit, but I love, love, love it and it's the one class of food I still miss, for the quantities I used to eat.

Hey ho.
I really can't believe how my tastes have changed in just two months ! I do miss the fruit too andbreathe! I have found an Apple is ok with cheese so make that part of a meal sometimes, darent think of how I enjoyed nectarines, satsumas etc though!!

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can manage a nectarine with some cheese or as part of low carb meal so maybe worth trying one- not a football sized one and not too ripe. Will try apples at some point but given I'd gone off them a bit before diagnosis( so woody and tasteless these days with the pick them under ripe and stick in chill) in no rush. Pears I never ate and I loathe bananas. ,Miss pineapple but my dental enamel probably loves me these days.

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really can't believe how my tastes have changed in just two months ! I do miss the fruit too andbreathe! I have found an Apple is ok with cheese so make that part of a meal sometimes, darent think of how I enjoyed nectarines, satsumas etc though!!

Bizarrely, I can eat tropical fruit; so that's pineapple, mango, papaya, and so on. I haven't had an apple, satsuma or banana in 2014. That's partly because, unfortunately bananas were very difficult for me at outset, and when I was in the tropics, apples were very expensive and not good quality. We preferred to stick to the endogenous fruit, as some of it grows in our garden too. At some point, I'll have a go with apples and satsumas, but I'm not feeling a great need there, right now. Maybe next time the "need" recycles itself, I'll give them a whirl.

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a whole fruit platter last night figs, watermelon, melon, peach and a few more fruits, i know i should not eat so many but then my sugar was 5.5 this morning so thinking it must have been ok. Could not test at 2 hours after the fruits as it was 1 in the night by the time i had them and then crashed off to sleep

Paulabetts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
meat selfish people slugs and snails
my first reading in the morning is always 9.1 or 9.2 rest of the day I am low

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
What @kimbo1962 said!! Good shout, Kimbo.

Not being a sweet eater (and no chocolate whatsoever since diagnosis), that never crossed my mind. Now then, a great big bowl of fruit and I'd be in heaven. I can eat some fruit, but I love, love, love it and it's the one class of food I still miss, for the quantities I used to eat.

Hey ho.

Fruit is something I eat a lot more of now, instead of doughnuts and pies as snacks.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We had a new boiler fitted last year which came with a fancy wifi gizmo so that I can control the central heating from the IPad. It's a lot easier than pressing lots of buttons on the thermostat. The only problem is if I'm working away and the weather changes I get texts from Mrs Sanguine saying "it's ****ing freezing here can you turn the heating on!" or "It's too hot, why is the heating on!".
Reminds me of the times I cat sit when my daughter son in law + children go away. They have sky and they can record programmes via mobile whilst away. It often means I'm stuck watching something I don't want because if two programmes are recording it's not possible to watch a third.

5.3 this morning

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

dale1958

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
vegetables
Fruit is something I eat a lot more of now, instead of doughnuts and pies as snacks.
Now i,m confused I love fruit but my nurse says it is a no no because of the natural sugars I particularly like grapes, strawberries, cherries and bananas

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fruit is really just nature's candy so that's why you may have been told to cut it out. The lot at my DESMOND course advocated up to three portions a day but bear in mind a large pear or apple is two portions in itself so it's not three pieces of fruit. And although fruit is included in five a day message the emphasis should be on the vegetable side. That being said, it is important to eat a wide variety of foods even when lo carbing so my tip would be to eat to your meter though I'd hazard a guess now that grapes and bananas will be off the menu. Berries are good for most of us and cherries- I find I can eat a small nectarine with some cheese or ham and others eat apples with only reasonable rises. So try some and test test test.

dale1958

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
vegetables
Fruit is really just nature's candy so that's why you may have been told to cut it out. The lot at my DESMOND course advocated up to three portions a day but bear in mind a large pear or apple is two portions in itself so it's not three pieces of fruit. And although fruit is included in five a day message the emphasis should be on the vegetable side. That being said, it is important to eat a wide variety of foods even when lo carbing so my tip would be to eat to your meter though I'd hazard a guess now that grapes and bananas will be off the menu. Berries are good for most of us and cherries- I find I can eat a small nectarine with some cheese or ham and others eat apples with only reasonable rises. So try some and test test test.
thank you I will give it a go and let you know

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Now i,m confused I love fruit but my nurse says it is a no no because of the natural sugars I particularly like grapes, strawberries, cherries and bananas

Remember Dale, that @douglas99 has his blood sugars under control and has vastly reduced his insulin resistance, so he has reached the point where he can add back some previously avoided foods, providing he keeps testing. You aren't anywhere near that stage as yet. Be patient, it takes a long time to reach that stage.

Reactions: 4 people

dale1958

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
vegetables
Remember Dale, that @douglas99 has his blood sugars under control and has vastly reduced his insulin resistance, so he has reached the point where he can add back some previously avoided foods, providing he keeps testing. You aren't anywhere near that stage as yet. Be patient, it takes a long time to reach that stage.
good sensible advice maybe I should leave them alone for now, on another note my levels are dropping at only about 1 point a day not the progress I had hoped for am I being a bit harsh on myself?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

@dale1958

First rule of diabetes - everyone is different.
Advice is different for everyone, all we can say is what we personally do, and how it affects us.
Anything else is speculation.

Second rule, diabetes changes with time, so you need to review it constantly.

When I was diagnosed, I looked for a diet to suit me.
I tested regularly, and I settled on eating food that didn't spike me, it was a low GI diet, so I eat carbs.
My doctor was on board, and prescribed a meter and strips.

I also went on a calorie restricted diet, took up a lot of exercise, and lost 4 1/2 stone from my 16 1/2 over a year.
After I hit my targets, got my BS, HbA1c, into the normal range, I tried to find a diet to maintain it all.
I briefly tried LCHF, but this didn't suit, (I found if I ate a small amount of carbs, my BS went too high)
And some days, due to my hobbies/work, the choice of food is restricted.
So I switched back to my previous diet, but extended the range.
I find if I eat carbs, I'm 'more prepared' the next time.

But it's always portion controlled, if I pig one meal, or one day, I exercise it off, or I eat less next time.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
good sensible advice maybe I should leave them alone for now, on another note my levels are dropping at only about 1 point a day not the progress I had hoped for am I being a bit harsh on myself?

If they don't suit you, definitely leave them alone, until you're where you want to be.
And any drop is a good drop, slower is better than faster in fact.
You need to let your body adjust to the new levels, and not shock it.
I would suggest you start your own thread though, and ask us any questions on that.

dale1958

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
vegetables
If they don't suit you, definitely leave them alone, until you're where you want to be.
And any drop is a good drop, slower is better than faster in fact.
You need to let your body adjust to the new levels, and not shock it.
I would suggest you start your own thread though, and ask us any questions on that.
thank you for the help Its been a great experience since joining the forum far better, more sensible advice than I have had from my surgery, as I find when you ask them a direct question they do not answer positivly also in all the time that I have been with them nobody including the dr the Nurse or the dietican have even mentioned carbs it has all been about sugar with them, once again many thanks to all of you

Reactions: 7 people

gaz tred

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.2 for me this morning. Been in the early 5's for weeks now. Not been out of the 5's any time of day either. One rogue reading yesterday after eating berries with my fingers and forgot to wash my hands. Got a 6.5, thought it was strange, washed and retested. 5.3 from the same puncture.

Reactions: 5 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
8.8...because i ate a few unsweetened biscuits last night....

Status
Not open for further replies.