LCHF ....raised blood sugar

Greeny79

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys just a quick one, I have just started a LCHF diet last week or 2 but my bloods seem to be up on before in general for example before my bloods (before food0 would be from 3+ upto 5 but usually around early to mid 4's now however they seem to be constantly mid 5's to early 6's ...but they seem more stable Ie rarely go above 7 or below 5 infact 90% seem to be 5+ to 6+
So i am seem to be having less spikes and drops (I was having heavy hypo symptoms) but I am just wondering if its normal for the readings to go up like this on the LCHF diet ?

Twilight14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys just a quick one, I have just started a LCHF diet last week or 2 but my bloods seem to be up on before in general for example before my bloods (before food0 would be from 3+ upto 5 but usually around early to mid 4's now however they seem to be constantly mid 5's to early 6's ...but they seem more stable Ie rarely go above 7 or below 5 infact 90% seem to be 5+ to 6+
So i am seem to be having less spikes and drops (I was having heavy hypo symptoms) but I am just wondering if its normal for the readings to go up like this on the LCHF diet ?
Well that seems like a non-diabetics readings which is quite good,you may just be gaining more control which is pretty good as a matter of fact a non diabetics pre-meal readings may go as high as 7.8.but cutting out/down carbs when diabetic may not work entirely.As despite the rarity sometimes a lack of carbs can cause bg to go up.If you feel alright in yourself I guess it's totally normal.I'm pretty sure T1's have to consult their doctor prior to diet in my experience,well at least I do anyway so if need be seek your doctors advice :)

Greeny79

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers mate should mentioned I am impaired glucose tolerance/pre diabetic. But my symptoms were of low blood sugar (hypos)

Twilight14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think
Cheers mate should mentioned I am impaired glucose tolerance/pre diabetic. But my symptoms were of low blood sugar (hypos)
I think that maybe they have settled for now ,it doesn't mean you have got rid of your hypos though,your just in control for now,are you pre-diabetic for T2? If its 2 and you mainly had hypos you may have successfully gotten rid of it for now but developed hypoglocoemia instead.Which explains for your old symptoms,otherwise you may have just gotten rid of it entirely now but it depends really if it stays okay perhaps ask your doctor for their opinion I'm no professional lol

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Just looked back through the posts and we chatted before about Reactive Hypoglycaemia.

[It would be good if you could include some information about your condition and the medication you are on in your profile, so we know what your background is when you ask a question :) ]

Assuming that you did have some kind of Reactive Hypoglycaemia or an associated condition which was forcing your BG low, it sounds as though you are making really good progress with your new eating plan.
You now seem to be relatively stable, and with decent numbers as well, so that sounds like a result :)

BG doesn't always go up or down when you start LCHF - hopefully it will stabilise, though.
Where people have consistent high BG due to not being able to process a lot of carbohydrates then LCHF generally brings BG down towards more normal levels.
In your case your BG seems to have been dipping below normal levels quite a lot of the time (again possibly due to your body struggling to process carbohydrates in a balanced manner) so your general levels have gone up towards normal.

Breathe a big sigh of relief and stick with it.
You seem to be doing well.

Do you feel better in yourself now that you are on LCHF?

Cheers

LGC

Greeny79

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @LittleGreyCat

Yeah I am happy they seem more stable as in all reading apart from the odd 1 or 2 are all in the 5's or 6's (lowest was a 4.5 highest 7.8) but 90% in 5/6 range, Just worried about the general raise for instance having morning/fasting reading of 6+ (normally 5 something but had a few in the mid 6's) when before they were in the 4's mostly or the odd 5+ as you are obviously told higher blood sugar is bad

I am feeling pretty pants but better than a few weeks ago with the constant hypo symptoms even though my reading could have been in the 4's I was having loads of hypo symptoms, I certainly think Reactive Hypoglycemia is possible but my GP basically said it doesn't exist or was highly unlikely

as for diagnosis, I have been told I have impaired glucose tolerance or borderline diabetic (Hba1c was 43) fasting 4.5 normal 8+ I think they said. but was just told to eat less and lose weight and sent on my way which is quiet hard when so tired to exercise and hungry all the time but not a normal hungry more of a ''going to pass out if I don't eat''

only meds I am on are for anxiety and depresssion and vitamin D deficiency.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Your numbers look good, so don't beat yourself up about them.
A lot of people here would kill to get those BG numbers :)

Eating protein and fat and avoiding carbohydrate should (hopefully) reduce the feeling of hunger.

Don't worry too much about the exercise - you exercise to get fit and eat less to lose weight.
You don't exercise to lose weight.
Sometimes losing some weight will make the exercise easier.

I can sympathise with your anxiety and depression but I can't really offer much help there - unless you have suffered it yourself you can't really feel what it is like and know how to cope.

It will get better.

Cheers

LGC