Insulin levimer

shelbyyyy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I do my levimer injection before bed I'm finding that I'm getting a hard lump under the skin is this normal or should I be worried?

I'm abit of a worrier so any help would be great

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does it go away after a day or two? I have the same thing and it disappears later, its just how levemir absorbs.
As long as it goes away after a day or two, it should be fine.

You cab mention it to your doctor if your worried :)

Reactions: 3 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi shelbyyyy

I tried Levemir a couple of years ago for about three months, but I also got hard lumps where I had injected. They were much larger than the amount of insulin I had injected and lasted for about 3 days. I felt that it was a local allergic reaction to something in the insulin so I switched back to Lantus because I didn't get lumps with that.

It would be a good idea to talk to your consultant about this and perhaps they could try you with another background insulin to see if it's any better.

Reactions: 6 people

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi shelbyyyy

I tried Levemir a couple of years ago for about three months, but I also got hard lumps where I had injected. They were much larger than the amount of insulin I had injected and lasted for about 3 days. I felt that it was a local allergic reaction to something in the insulin so I switched back to Lantus because I didn't get lumps with that.

It would be a good idea to talk to your consultant about this and perhaps they could try you with another background insulin to see if it's any better.
Maybe I should talk to my DSN as well! I thought that as long as they go away within days, it's fine. I inject in.a leg and it always itches after injection!

Reactions: 2 people

shelbyyyy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thank you both:) I was on lantus and didn't get on with that but thank you for reassuring me I will keep an eye on it over the next couple of days

Reactions: 3 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe I should talk to my DSN as well! I thought that as long as they go away within days, it's fine. I inject in.a leg and it always itches after injection!
I guess it's for you to decide. In my case I was worried that it might eventually lead to lipodystrophy so thought I would swap back to Lantus. I'm now on Tresiba which is really __flat__ compared to either Levemir or Lantus and I don't have any problems with injection sites either. Maybe another option for you to ask about.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Could well be an allergic reaction to the insulin as Rob says. When you next inject your basal leave the needle in the skin and count to 12 then withdraw the needle and lightly massage the area, not saying this will work but I've found this helps when a lump appears when injecting.

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could well be an allergic reaction to the insulin as Rob says. When you next inject your basal leave the needle in the skin and count to 12 then withdraw the needle and lightly massage the area, not saying this will work but I've found this helps myself when a lump appears when injecting.
I noticed that when it itches and I scratch/massage the spot the lumps are much smaller and can even disappear quickly.

Reactions: 4 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Looks like you may be a bit allergic? I have Levemir and have injected in the stomach for over a year with no problems. How much do you inject as I suspect high does may cause more problems??

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I guess it's for you to decide. In my case I was worried that it might eventually lead to lipodystrophy so thought I would swap back to Lantus. I'm now on Tresiba which is really __flat__ compared to either Levemir or Lantus and I don't have any problems with injection sites either. Maybe another option for you to ask about.

Hi... What do you mean about finding tresiba flat... Do you mean you don't see a peak with it..? Does it last 24hrs or do you split the dose? Is it made the same way as Lantus and Levemir do you know..?

I've not heard of Tresiba - hence my curiosity to know more... :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi... What do you mean abo
ut finding tresiba flat... Do you mean you don't see a peak with it..? Does it last 24hrs or do you split the dose? Is it made the same way as Lantus and Levemir do you know..?

I've not heard of Tresiba - hence my curiosity to know more... :)/QUOTE]

Tresiba is just another basal insulin that came on the market in 2013, it's made by Novo Nordisk and it's said to last up to 42 hours so you would only need to inject it once a day:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-medication/diabetes-and-tresiba.html

A flat profile means the insulin doesn't peak as with some insulins, meaning there's less likelihood of hypo's occurring

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi... What do you mean about finding tresiba flat... Do you mean you don't see a peak with it..? Does it last 24hrs or do you split the dose? Is it made the same way as Lantus and Levemir do you know..?

I've not heard of Tresiba - hence my curiosity to know more... :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
It lasts for over 42 hours, although you take it once a day, which keeps you background levels really flat. It's made by the same company that makes Levemir. My Dr says it's quite expensive compared to Levemir/Lantus so you might need a good reason if you want to try it.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It lasts for over 42 hours, although you take it once a day, which keeps you background levels really flat. It's made by the same company that makes Levemir. My Dr says it's quite expensive compared to Levemir/Lantus so you might need a good reason if you want to try it.

We posted at the same time Rob, although mine got lost it the quote :)

I was reading the other-day that it's about 25-35% more expensive than lantus or levemir, but what price do you put you put on good diabetes control?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We posted at the same time Rob, although mine got lost it the quote :)

I was reading the other-day that it's about 25-35% more expensive than lantus or levemir, but what price do you put you put on good diabetes control?
Personally I think it's worth the extra as I can get a better night's sleep (used to wake up a lot with Lantus). I persuaded my Consultant to prescribe it and my Dr was grumbling about the price ;)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Personally I think it's worth the extra as I can get a better night's sleep (used to wake up a lot with Lantus). I persuaded my Consultant to prescribe it and my Dr was grumbling about the price ;)

Comparing both insulins, are you taking more or less with Tresiba or are you on the same dose?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Comparing both insulins, are you taking more or less with Tresiba or are you on the same dose?
A bit less - I was on 12-14 of Lantus and am on 10-12 of Tresiba (currently 11 as it seems to change with the weather ;) )

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
A bit less - I was on 12-14 of Lantus and am on 10-12 of Tresiba (currently 11 as it seems to change with the weather ;) )

Thanks Robert, my basal needs change too with the seasons, it's a funny old business this diabetes :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Thanks Robert, my basal needs change too with the seasons, it's a funny old business this diabetes :)