Very hungry new Diabetic

GordonAsh

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Im not quite sure if i have the name right. It was a non nurse healthy living type of coach if that makes sense. Got a few more appointments with her.

Reactions: 2 people

GordonAsh

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I managed to get a copy of my results today so here they are. Would be interested in what people have to say about them. Not yet experienced with them so its all martian to me.

Untitled-1.jpg

Also thanks for all the kind welcomes :)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Im not quite sure if i have the name right. It was a non nurse healthy living type of coach if that makes sense. Got a few more appointments with her.
I saw a health trainer recently.
Not clinically trained. Had info to help with diet, lifestyle choices, eating, smoking exercise etc. made more sense than any HCP and listened to me instead of just using script and tick boxes.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
That's not too far away from what I was Gordon, so you should be able to get that back under control. Trigs will come down with reduced carbs, a bit more fat to get your HDL up a bit.

Reactions: 6 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I saw a health trainer recently.
Not clinically trained. Had info to help with diet, lifestyle choices, eating, smoking exercise etc. made more sense than any HCP and listened to me instead of just using script and tick boxes.

On the NHS or private?

Bev18

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Glad to see another adventure time addict, my 18 year old daughter is addicted she would love the t avatars.

Good luck with everything else, it's not easy and can be confusing. Glad to see the health trainers are still being utilised, I used to work in a pct and the trainers are a way of getting people out and about without feeling stupid if they're not as fit as others.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Aha! Ok, it was just something that intrigued me. Ta very much!

GordonAsh

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did panic quite a bit when they told me. Ive always had this huge fear of heart attack and when i read that your 5 times more likely to have one as a Diabetic it proper freaked me out. My getting out the house therapy for the agoraphobia really took a huge dive for a good 5-6 days. And between the Metformin side effects (i wont go into details) and fear of eating anything unhealthy i dropped 3/4 of a stone in weight. All back to normal now tho with a bright outlook on things.

Im 36 and cannot stop watching Adventure TIme! Its a bleedin masterpiece.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did panic quite a bit when they told me. Ive always had this huge fear of heart attack and when i read that your 5 times more likely to have one as a Diabetic it proper freaked me out. My getting out the house therapy for the agoraphobia really took a huge dive for a good 5-6 days. And between the Metformin side effects (i wont go into details) and fear of eating anything unhealthy i dropped 3/4 of a stone in weight. All back to normal now tho with a bright outlook on things.

Im 36 and cannot stop watching Adventure TIme! Its a bleedin masterpiece.
did they put you on statin as well as met, the chol isn't nice IMO? though it can come down through diet
I found the met should settle in a week or so, are you on the slow release?
you can eat, you just can't eat a lot of carb, sugar, bread pasta rice potato. you can eat lots of veg, healthy fats/oils and meats.dairy (just not milk)

I found a strict diet and the metformin took 3 weeks before my BG was starting to look ok. and I needed a meter to see what foods were ok.
I went on the LCHF diet, and these links helped me
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Gordon,

Welcome.

Just found your thread, and think you are developing a great attitude to this!
And I love your avatar.

Regarding your test results, do you see all the little exclamation marks?
Those are the results that are higher than they should be.

Detailed cholesterol tests give 3 results, tryglicerides, HDL and LDL. Ideally, the tryglicerides should be as low as possible, and the HDL as high as possible. But there are other people on here (or google) who can give you more info).

But the good news is that most of us lower carbers seem to find that our cholesterol levels sort themselves out, without us being aware of them, after a few months of lower carbing. :)

And I think that avoiding processed fats, margarine, hydrogenated veg fat (basically anything like bought cakes, biscuits, crisps, etc) and replacing those fats with unprocessed ones like butter, olive oil, coconut oil, and eating low carb cakes and biccies, will make a tremendous difference to you.

Congrats on how you are doing so far!

Reactions: 5 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I did panic quite a bit when they told me. Ive always had this huge fear of heart attack and when i read that your 5 times more likely to have one as a Diabetic

That may be true for all diabetics as a large population, but don't forget it includes uncontrolled as well as controlled. As an individual you can manage the condition to reduce the risk. These stats cannot be used to determine risk to an individual.

Reactions: 3 people

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Gordon,

Welcome.

Just found your thread, and think you are developing a great attitude to this!
And I love your avatar.

Regarding your test results, do you see all the little exclamation marks?
Those are the results that are higher than they should be.

Detailed cholesterol tests give 3 results, tryglicerides, HDL and LDL. Ideally, the tryglicerides should be as low as possible, and the HDL as high as possible. But there are other people on here (or google) who can give you more info).

But the good news is that most of us lower carbers seem to find that our cholesterol levels sort themselves out, without us being aware of them, after a few months of lower carbing. :)

And I think that avoiding processed fats, margarine, hydrogenated veg fat (basically anything like bought cakes, biscuits, crisps, etc) and replacing those fats with unprocessed ones like butter, olive oil, coconut oil, and eating low carb cakes and biccies, will make a tremendous difference to you.

Congrats on how you are doing so far!

Agree focus on the TGs (triclyderides) should be as low as possible and HDL as high as possible, sat fats promote this. Ignore total cholesterol, new research shows this has nothing to do with heart health. LDL can also be ignored since they don't do proper testing in UK, neither particle size of LDL or Apo quotes (apolipoprotein B/apolipoprotein A1), maybe UK will enter 21 st century in proper risk factors for heart disease.
http://www.westerndailypress.co.uk/...ping-statins/story-22762699-detail/story.html

Helen R

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Try not to test your BS levels all of the time... it can get a bit obsessive. Focus more on how you feel. As your BS levels come down to a more normal level you will feel better and more in control. Eat 3 balance meals a day and try not to snack. Swap to wholemeal and whole grain foods as they fill you up for longer. Half a can of baked beans is fine. In fact most things are fine... just eat less of them. Moderation is the key. Good luck.... it does get easier and losing weight is an added bonus.

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The last time I looked a small tin had 10 grams of carbs in it. It isn't the fault of the beans. The manufacturer adds sugar because the beans taste bland otherwise.

GordonAsh

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Will start to meter later this week after i have ordered one. Im quite interested in seeing how i do on different types of food. Is there a guide anywhere on the forum for metering? Specifically for gauging foods.