Gluten free foods

milly_moo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There seems to be loads of pre-packaged gluten free foods (including breads) in our supermarkets. I've searched the forum and see various mentions of gluten free sausage etc. so wondered if gluten free ready made foods would be an option for LCHF occasionally - sometimes when I travel the only option (apart from fast food) is to get a ready meal to microwave.

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are basically two kinds of "GF" foods - naturally gluten free foods (e.g. cheese, or rice flour), and food that could be produced without gluten (e.g. bread). Those foods will still contain substantial amounts of carbs, so I doubt that they'll make a difference.

Basically, I doubt that gluten-free products have any benefit unless are suffering from coeliac disease.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
GF pre-packed/processed is very high fat and sugar. This is done to mask the disgusting taste of it.
There are some fab carb free sausages that are zero carbs, you need to look for those though.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi I am gluten free because of Coeliac disease/ I found some tasty sausages in Asda's frozen isle a couple of compartments are the free from range, It's called Dohertys (about 10 carbs for two), but haven't bought them for a while and also burgers, which i never did eat before, but a nice change and a treat.. Good luck.I hope you find something suitable.

Edited content and product name

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

iHs

Sainsbury Taste the Difference do Toulouse and Scillian sausages that are gluten free. Each sausage is about 2g carb and taste very nice. They often sell 2 packs for £5 and there's about 6 sausages in a pack

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
also waitrose choizo whirls sooooo tasty. always in the 3 for £10 range and they are big sausages (1 feeds me happily - 2 and im a pig) 4 in a pack.

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Sainsbury Taste the Difference do Toulouse and Scillian sausages that are gluten free. Each sausage is about 2g carb and taste very nice. They often sell 2 packs for £5 and there's about 6 sausages in a pack
They do a nice pork and apple sausage as well. The Black farmers sausages are scrummy as well.

Reactions: 3 people