Submission on fats and carbs to Which? and Diabetes UK?

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You know... We are all going about this the wrong way.

Everyone chooses a diet, eats it, tests or not, and 9x out of 10, they defend their chosen diet and lifestyle.

We should go the other way.
We should petition them to:
  • Contact every doctor in the UK (ideally world wide, but let's be practical)
  • Ask them for the HbA1c results of every diabetic on their records.
  • Isolate the HbA1cs that fall at, or below, the NHS guidelines
  • Ask them what they eat/what diet they follow/exercise, meds, etc.
  • Divide the responses into low, middle and top end of HbA1c (but within target)
  • See which diet wins.
Then you'll find that the diet picked by the most health-conscious lot will do best because the health-conscious lot will do best regardless of the merits of the diet.

There's a reason we bother with randomized controlled trials, you know

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
DUK is not so intransigent since they had a vote at their annual conference to stop pushing carbs. I have copied an extract from the thread started by Southport GP.

"Apparently it is time that we stopped advising people with diabetes to eat carbohydrates !!!!! Amazing debate and'we' won 70:30Trudy Deakin was inspired and gave a great talk -including a positive mention of all you low carbers on this site !, There was even a slide of one of Sam JB posts in front of hundreds of people at the National DUK conference. Another slide featured my work so I'm dead chuffed. Such an exciting day The emphasis of Trudy's talk was educating about diabetes so that then people can have a better idea of the diet that suits them personally YES I AGREE"

Now, I suppose all we have to do is wait while someone acts on this.

Reactions: 13 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's a reason we bother with randomized controlled trials, you know

Is there?
You never explain!
How are we to ever learn?

But since you obviously know a lot about the subject, perhaps you could take my basic idea and hone it into a workable solution?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people
G

graj0

Yet another article about saturated fat, this time in the Independent.
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...big-fat-surprise-about-nutrition-9692121.html
so there is an ever growing body of opinion which is going against Ancel Keys and "you are what you eat".
LGC
I was reminded of a flight I took where I had asked for a diabetic meal. I had a fantastic risotto while everyone else had sandwiches. Neither option being entirely suitable, but there you go.

You might be interested in http://healthimpactnews.com/2013/sw...ogma-in-favor-of-low-carb-high-fat-nutrition/. I've always like the Scandinavians. LOL

A lot of this all comes back to the fact that we are all different. I have a good friend who is as skinny as a rake, eats exactly what he wants, when he wants but if he doesn't get his carbs he goes weak and wobbly. Thinking aloud here, maybe the pyramid should be more rectangle shaped?

I should add that I'm a LC advocate (can't cope with higher fat) and I have benefited tremendously by cutting carbs to about 80gms a day rather than the usual 250 - 300.

Reactions: 4 people

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Bummer. eatfatgetslim.com is already takem :-(

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Running naked down Oxford Street waving a banner will certainly get the media's attention :D

Reactions: 6 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Oh I love them!!
I went on to vistaprint last night and designed my own tshirt!! (£11.95 Hoping it will be here asap for all my gp/ccg meetings in next few weeks!! I will love to see their faces and reactions. (It'll be worth the £12!!)

Think I'm getting to be a bit of a rebel in my 5th decade!!!

I love those webnames!!

Reactions: 5 people

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
@Dillinger what a great link.

A recommended read methinks.

All we want now is the same thing for LCHF.

Reactions: 2 people

Jill the tt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
unkindness
i think any changes will be hard because the money from pharmaceutical companies is pretty much bottomless, they want us to need the pills etc or they will lose billions, the cereal growers the same, it will take just a constant drip into the media to make changes as people will make the decision with the information, it just needs to be out there

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
i think any changes will be hard because the money from pharmaceutical companies is pretty much bottomless, they want us to need the pills etc or they will lose billions, the cereal growers the same, it will take just a constant drip into the media to make changes as people will make the decision with the information, it just needs to be out there

How would you feed the worlds population without cereal?

H

Hooked

I like the idea of the "eat fat, get slim" T-shirt.

I'm going to get one printed and wear it at my Patient Participation Group meetings at my gp's and to all my NHS appointments! Brilliant!
I'd wear one of those if I wasn't so blummin fat. Not a convincing message when you need one sized XXL. o_O

Jill the tt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
unkindness
No, it was serious question.
If you did manage to substantially reduce the amount of cereal eaten, what would you feed people instead?

that would be their decision, the point was the growers throw billions at showing how good for us they are, if people had the correct information they can make an educated choice

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Therein lies the difficulty then, they need to be made aware of the alternatives to make the decision.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Grow almo d and walnuts and coconuts instead!! Easy!! Problem solved!!

Reactions: 4 people

Jill the tt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
unkindness
Therein lies the difficulty then, they need to be made aware of the alternatives to make the decision.

so you think people can't work it out for themselves, do you really think anyone looking for the truth is that stupid