Managing the Bernstein eating plan

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Just getting back to the protein recommendation of 0.8g per kg.
Those of us on a LcHf diet would (must) surely need more as it is only from protein / fat that we get our energy. Without carbs (or at least very few) we would have less energy unless we have more protein..... It is also this aspect of low carb high fat scenario that dr Bernstein says there is no evidence of kidney damage with his thousands of patients. He also states that some 50 years ago he was given 5 years to live with kidney disease, he then went LcHf and his kidney problems disappeared. There are quite a few trials recently that indicate low carb is good for your kidneys.

Reactions: 2 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Those of us on a LcHf diet would (must) surely need more as it is only from protein / fat that we get our energy. Without carbs (or at least very few) we would have less energy unless we have more protein..... It is also this aspect of low carb high fat scenario that dr Bernstein says there is no evidence of kidney damage with his thousands of patients. He also states that some 50 years ago he was given 5 years to live with kidney disease, he then went LcHf and his kidney problems disappeared. There are quite a few trials recently that indicate low carb is good for your kidneys.
The idea of LCHF is that you would get most of your energy from fat (ketosis). Although I don't know if you would need more protein because some of it was broken down into glucose

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Don't you find it hard to get fat without protein?.

C1a1r319

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ketoacidosis
When I was starting this eating plan I was eating 90g of protein per day. My blood glucose were continuously high. I was gutted because I actually wanted the freedom of eating any amount of protein. I also wanted to get into ketosis to reap the benefits of the energy. I found that 60g protein I get into ketosis moderately but not all the time, however, my blood glucose are excellent. I still have issues with energy at the moment, but I may have other unrelated things causing that. If there is anything I have learned from it, it's that I was eating far too much protein before I started this diet. It's a great diet, I don't doubt that, it's also quite difficult at times and takes some planning. The fat can be hard to stomach. I have had a lot of difficulty getting results from it, but that's just me.

C1a1r319

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ketoacidosis
When I was starting this eating plan I was eating 90g of protein per day. My blood glucose were continuously high. I was gutted because I actually wanted the freedom of eating any amount of protein. I also wanted to get into ketosis to reap the benefits of the energy. I found that 60g protein I get into ketosis moderately but not all the time, however, my blood glucose are excellent. I still have issues with energy at the moment, but I may have other unrelated things causing that. If there is anything I have learned from it, it's that I was eating far too much protein before I started this diet. It's a great diet, I don't doubt that, it's also quite difficult at times and takes some planning. The fat can be hard to stomach. I have had a lot of difficulty getting results from it, but that's just me.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I get through quite a bit of cream, butter, coconut oil, olive oil

How to use coconut oil, apart from making curries with it? I'd like to: it seems to be one of the most health-promoting substances on the planet. Ideas welcomed please !!

Lucy

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How to use coconut oil, apart from making curries with it? I'd like to: it seems to be one of the most health-promoting substances on the planet. Ideas welcomed please !!

Lucy
It's quite good as a cooking oil. The cold-pressed oil has a mild coconut flavour and the refined oil doesn't.

I use it mostly in 'bullet proof' coffee, where i add 30g butter and 30g coconut oil to a mug of coffee and froth it all together (otherwise you end up with an oil slick ;) )

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
'bullet proof' coffee, where i add 30g butter and 30g coconut oil to a mug of coffee )

A very quick lookup and this is around 500 cal and 50g fat. I could delete my 2 x breakfast sausages and still be up on calories and fat, and reduce my protein, which I know is running high and not helping my BG levels.....I will give this a try.... I have been trying to introduce more coconut oil into my diet.

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A very quick lookup and this is around 500 cal and 50g fat. I could delete my 2 x breakfast sausages and still be up on calories and fat, and reduce my protein, which I know is running high and not helping my BG levels.....I will give this a try.... I have been trying to introduce more coconut oil into my diet.

And the best bit - it's delicious!

I took some to work, mentioned what was in the flask, and let 4 people taste it.
3 loved it,
1 thought the coffee was too strong. Lol.
None of them thought it was too rich, fatty or disgusting.
1 asked for the recipe.

Reactions: 5 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I believe @modesty007 goes full tilt with the bulletproof coffee with something like 40g coconut oil and 45g Kerrygold. I'm still working my way up to that ;)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe @modesty007 goes full tilt with the bulletproof coffee with something like 40g coconut oil and 45g Kerrygold. I'm still working my way up to that ;)

Me too!

I use maybe 20 g unsalted butter and a 2/3rds of a golf ball sized blob of solid coconut oil - in 800ml of coffee.
Then drink half at 8am, and half at 11am.

Might try a smidge more butter next time...

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Gosh, I've at least two taboos going here. I'm sure you're right ...

The other taboo is (don't shout at me), aren't you really going to put on lots of weight with that? Can it be possible not to? One day I have to stop losing weight, but I don't want to put it all back on again. I like looking twenty years younger and buying skinny jeans.

How much fat can one eat on LCHF and not put on weight?

I manage lots of cheese, mayonnaise, nuts, and cream in my coffee, but that far ...

Gulp (of fear).

Lucy

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Gosh, I've at least two taboos going here. I'm sure you're right ...

The other taboo is (don't shout at me), aren't you really going to put on lots of weight with that? Can it be possible not to? One day I have to stop losing weight, but I don't want to put it all back on again. I like looking twenty years younger and buying skinny jeans.

I manage lots of cheese, mayonnaise, nuts, and cream in my coffee, but that far ...

Gulp (of fear).

Lucy
I was 67 kilos before going LCHF and I'm still 67 kilos after 1 year of it. But as they say: YMMV

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Lucy

Have a look at the bloodsugar101 website (see link in my signature)
Go to the 'diet' section
There's a nutritional calculator there.

You tell it how many g carbs you want to eat a day.
Then it calls your ideal fat and protein intake, based on age, sex, activity level...

It helped me a lot

Reactions: 5 people

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
It's surprising how few calories there are in a LcHf diet. I struggle to meet my calorie requirement, and I feel I am eating lots, i never really feel hungry, could easily miss a meal.... But know if I do I will loose weight, which I don't want to.

So I will give the bulletproof coffee a go. Also read lots of good reports about coconut oil, and have been trying to increase the amount consumed.

Lucy, if your weight is stable and you want to keep it that way, I would suggest you need to drop around 500 calories from your current food consumption. If like me, dropping 500 calories will likely result on a knock on effect of consuming less protein... Which should reduce your BG levels.... That's my thinking!!!!

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Gonna try it and *face my fear* !!!!

Big thank you, Brunneria, the calculator is going to be a big help. I also just downloaded the Jenny Ruhl / BS 101 low carb diet book. Because it really does look so well put together. Staying with Dr Bernstein, but want to find out more.

I feel the need of all the support I can get. My diet is hard work, and I can't just fit in with family. Boo hoo

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Nice cup of coffee... 30g butter, 30g coconut oil..... Very nice

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes! I did it!! 15g butter and 10g coco oil, based on Brunneria's recipe. Yes it's nice !! But you know what - it's even nicer with cream in

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people