• Thread starter Deleted member 83869
  • Start Date

anniehi41

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Pump
Hi NicolaAnne.

When I was in hospital after my pancreatectomy and unable to manage my diabetes myself I had numerous bad hypos through not having trained DSN nurses available during the night, and on occasions there was only one nurse looking after three or four wards.

I had weird vision problems with these, mainly because I was left to go really low and pass out. I remember looking at the other patients in their beds and their faces were just blank, no features at all! Very scary. Also everything was green!

It's sad how little some nurses know about Type one diabetes one nurse, and she was a nursing sister told me ONE was the floor! I was glad to get out of there.

Regards

Annie

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

haylz2002

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I hypo my parents can tell because my eyes kind of sink in..

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My eyes glaze over according to hubby..

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If I don't catch a hypo early enough, I feel like I'm in a safe bubble in an alien world.
I therefore cling on to the safe bubble, believing it's safe. :rolleyes:
I'm told that I go very pale and very quiet and still, and my eyes get a glazed and blank look.
That's why 4 has to be the floor for me, otherwise I'm in danger of not reacting effectively to a hypo. I get blurred vision if my BG us falling fast.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I have the same symptom as yours: I see colours less clearly and sometimes I can hardly focus on things :/

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Yes, you can go colourblind as part of the symptom... Many years ago before blood meters were common, one of the blood sugar test techniques was a pee strip that changed colour which was matched to a Dulux style chart on the side of the pot for reference.. Useless in the event of a hypo with the blurred vision colourblindness & light sensitivity..lol

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I worth reiterating for any drivers, that 5 is the floor to get behind the wheel of a car... Anything lower is the equivalent of "drunk driving" in the eyes of the law..!

Personal experience, 3.5 to 4.5 mentally it's like walking into a room & forgetting why.. The thought process can be like a "stoners" esoteric rhetoric..
Auto pilot kicks in when dropping to around 3.5 & below with the desire for food.
Depending on the time of day blurred vision & light sensitivity.. A computer screen can look like a whiteout..!
Waking at night in the dark is interesting.. A strip of white or green flashing LEDs under the eyeline, or centre vision a greeny blue map of France..
As well as the usual when the lights are switched on I get the sensitivity..

What tends to delay my reaction which I've had to teach myself in the early stages is the loop, "the stoner's rhetoric" to react or I will find my self different ways to count to ten, or re wiring the house to discover the meaning of life before the munchies phase kicks in... Lol "safe bubble". :p
I have seen this loop in other diabetics during the early stage hypoglycaemia, & it almost reminds me of the symptoms of dementia sufferer...?

D

Deleted member 83869

I can't really explain it's like everything's spinning all that i'm not actually there! If that makes any sense? lol

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't really explain it's like everything's spinning all that i'm not actually there! If that makes any sense? lol

Like rapid eye movement while awake...? Not had that one..
But about 6 years ago I kept falling down when my vision rocked to a 45 degree angle like being on a ship & I'd fall over..
I went to the doctors because I fell into a fridge at work & I was starting to get prety bruised up from the falls....
He said the D word.. I said nope, I know a hypo when I get one.
The cause was an inner ear infection affecting my balance..!

D

Deleted member 83869

Like rapid eye movement while awake...? Not had that one..
But about 6 years ago I kept falling down when my vision rocked to a 45 degree angle like being on a ship & I'd fall over..
I went to the doctors because I fell into a fridge at work & I was starting to get prety bruised up from the falls....
He said the D word.. I said nope, I know a hypo when I get one.
The cause was an inner ear infection affecting my balance..!
Honestly i don't even know lol because I can't explain it aha

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Accidentally gave extra insulin for breakfast this morning, leading to a blood sugar of 1.9. My eyesight was what alerted me to it. It was like someone had shone a torch in my face, I was practically blind until the dextrose kicked in.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Accidentally gave extra insulin for breakfast this morning, leading to a blood sugar of 1.9. My eyesight was what alerted me to it. It was like someone had shone a torch in my face, I was practically blind until the dextrose kicked in.

Scary, pleased it didn't drop any lower Charles.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello,

So today I have now had 3 hypo's.....need to change my basals back but I have a new symptom...I believe....basically my eyes go funny....but I can't really describe how they go...it's hard to explain....so yeah maybe this is a pointless post lol sorry

I get that, any indoor lighting, or bright outdoor light, seems to flash, or pulse..........its hard to describe........

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Yes, at that low, I'm squinting at the light or shutting my eyes for peace and quiet. Dangerous, so sugar quick!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep, I tend to put the light sensitivity stuff down to inappropriate pupil dilation with regards to the light conditions, brought on by hypoglycaemia..

Reactions: 2 people

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
I can sometimes get blurry vision when I go too low or too high. I've also seen little white dots (or stars!) when I've been really low before too!

kimmykib

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Coke a cola anything too sweet an anything with dairy in as lactose intolerant
Hello All,
I have been a type 1 for over 50 years, and have found that different types of insulin, have given me different types of reactions when entering a hypo. Many years ago when i was on animal insulin you would get tingling of the skin around your mouth and tongue, when i went to the first lot of synthetic it was very different, blurred vision was one of the early signs and my wife could see that i was go into hypo,she said that my eyes would get a glassy look to them, if the hypo was a bad one i would start to get the shakes, and skin color would go white, and eventually start slurring my words. In 2010 they put me onto 2 new insulin's and for 4 weeks i could not feel hypos coming on, even in hospital i was 1 on three occasions and knew nothing about , after 4 weeks later they told me to back onto my old insulin, which i did, Recently they have changed my insulin again and i now have a whole new set of sensations to learn, i now sweat profusely, and the bit i do not like is i have developed palpitations and chest pains when entering a hypo state. There are many little signs that we all learn to recognize, and these are very important, the main issue i have found with the newer insulin's is that you do not have the same flexibility with the time as i use to have with the older animal insulin's. I hope you may find my experience helpful in some way.
Best Regards
and Good Health to All
Toby.

Hey am the same my syptoms have changed over the year like toby I have had shake ,slurring, feeling like am drunk, sweating to the point my clothes are wet an also had spots an blurred vision an have been on many different insulins it depends on the person to be honest all are different

I am on humalog an lantus an my hypos come out of nowhere I get dizzy ,overheating, feel sick an spots in front of my eyes its does pass plus when my hypos end I become ice cold an can sometimes nod off thsy just wipe me out hope my experience help too

JacHibbert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello,

So today I have now had 3 hypo's.....need to change my basals back but I have a new symptom...I believe....basically my eyes go funny....but I can't really describe how they go...it's hard to explain....so yeah maybe this is a pointless post lol sorry
Hi

I've been type 1 for 40yrs plus and my symptoms have changed over the years. If I into the 2's my eyes go funny too. If it's first thing in the morning, I can't quite make myself out in the bathroom mirror when brushing my teeth. Sometimes I can hear my heart beating.
My previous signs were sweaty top lip and apparently "dear in headlight eyes" , according to my husband. Sometimes I look grey rather than the normal pink colour I normally have.
Have a look on the diabetes website - sometimes you have symptoms you didn't even know were symptoms.

Hope this helps.

Jac