Low fat or full fat dairy?

Livewire27

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I get confused from my reading online as to whether I should stick with low fat yoghourt/milk or switch to full fat versions.

Thanks

David

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most low fat varieties are higher in carbohydrate than full fat, so from a diabetic's point of view, full fat is better for BG control.

Reactions: 6 people

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Most low fat varieties are higher in carbohydrate than full fat, so from a diabetic's point of view, full fat is better for BG control.
That's what I always thought but the plain yogurts here, along with milk, has same carbs whether they are no fat, low fat or full fat. Personally I prefer the full fat so that's what I have. The yogurts that aren't just plain are the ones that have higher carbs in here in Oz.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It is the same in Europe too. There isn't much difference in the carb content of full cream milk and skimmed milk since it is only the fat that is removed (nothing is added) They use skimmed milk for low fat yoghurts.
The fat content means that the full fat varieties have higher calories.

0% Greek yoghurt 57 cal/100g , 4g carbs
'full fat' Greek yoghurt 96 cal/100g , 3.8g carbs

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
I choose the full fat cos "a" I like the taste and "b" you need the fat in order to absorb the fat soluble vitamins A & D that it contains :)

Reactions: 4 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Personally, I eat low fat as I watch my calories.
Not much low fat stuff has added sugar any more, so they are normally around the same.

Like everything thought, check the labels.
The only way you can really be sure how food affects you is to check your BS with a meter, before and after eating.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If you go low carb you need to make up some of the lost calories or you will suffer from lack of energy. These extra calories can only come from extra fats or extra protein. I just went full fat rather than low fat and stopped actively avoiding dairy foods. I didn't go overboard, just enough to make the calories up to the 1200 a day I needed to lose weight. It worked for me.

Reactions: 2 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
If you go low carb you need to make up some of the lost calories or you will suffer from lack of energy. These extra calories can only come from extra fats or extra protein. I just went full fat rather than low fat and stopped actively avoiding dairy foods. I didn't go overboard, just enough to make the calories up to the 1200 a day I needed to lose weight. It worked for me.

I was on 1200 calories on my calorie restricted diet.
Are you still on only that much now?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was on 1200 calories on my calorie restricted diet.
Are you still on only that much now?

No. I am on 1500 now and just about maintaining after a struggle. I lost a few pounds more after bumping it up but seem to have stabilised now. I do go up to about 1600 at weekends.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I'm trying organic sheep and goat's milk yoghurt at the moment as an alternative to Greek - very tasty and about 4.5g carb per 100g.

tonyS54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Full fat for me, don't bother to much about the extra calories as it's hard overeat due to being far more satiating than low fat products:)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I can't wait till the rules are relaxed and it is easier to get untreated from the farms...

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Love the untreated Jersey cream I can get Farmers Market other cream looks like milk compared to this.:joyful:

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm trying organic sheep and goat's milk yoghurt at the moment as an alternative to Greek - very tasty and about 4.5g carb per 100g.
I've been eating home made yoghurt from sheep's milk whilst in Turkey. My friend allowed the milk to settle in milk before making the yoghurt. A thick layer of cream formed on the top and she skimmed it off and made cookies with it. The yoghurt, when made, was very thick and creamy. Delicious! Yum!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love fromage frais and sometimes get this instead of yoghurt. Tesco Normandy fromage frais 3.3g carbs per 100g. Virtually fat free but I don't mind that. However if I buy yoghurt I don't buy the low fat.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Same here. Mostly I go over the 1200 and reach between 1500 and 1800 but then I factor in the exercise. I'm having to rest my leg at the moment so I'm eating between 1200 and 1400. I have 21lb to lose before I reach the top end of my Normal weight range. I'd like to lose 28lb so that I am comfortably within my range. I think managing to maintain rather than lose weight may present some juggling but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.