Confused

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
Welcome to the forum :)

There's lots of really good advice in this thread and as many have said, you could take the 6 week wait to try out some lifestyle changes. As somebody else alluded to, we've all tried out various things and what works for us, might not work for you. Have a read through the advice here, do some research online and form your own opinion would be my best advice.

Your DN/GP is possibly not going to recommend you test your blood sugar, but in my mind, this is essential as we all have different tolerances to carbs and sugar and react differently. For example, my testing has shown me that 1 slice of brown bread is ok, but if I have 2 my blood sugar goes too high. The nurse advised I had 2-3 slices with some fruit, but I can only imagine what my blood sugar would have been after all that sugar! Sugar, carbohydrate, fructose, it's all converted to sugar, so get used to looking at nutritional labels...it's the total carbohydrate count that is of interest to you now.

Somebody else suggested the SD Codefree blood glucometer - that's the one I use and the price is unbeatable I think (and no, I don't have shares in it LOL)

Reactions: 3 people

desidiabulum

post reported
A very rapid change in BS has been suggested to possibly cause damage to the eyes.
It depends how high it was, how long it was there for, and how fast it falls.

Slower is allegedly better than faster for that reason.

Douglas is right about very rapid change of blood glucose causing damage to eyes. A sudden drop or spike can cause a bleed in people already diagnosed with retinopathy. Sometimes the effects can be temporary and reversible – but not always. A member of this forum with username 'Unbeliever' suffered from this -- if you search her past threads you may find more details.

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
if it was true that a rapid change of BG caused eye damage ..BG in the 20"s wouldn't be corrected back to normal levels within a couple of hours, there would be no such thing as sickday rules

I reported his post for a smart ass response to being asked to provide a source to what he was saying

if he wanted to specify the very slight chance of someone with bad retinopathy 'can' worsen with a period of tight control and provided these links, then I would have accepted that very narrow and specific point
DCCT and EDIC: The Diabetes Control and Complications Trial and Follow-up Study
http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/control/#eye
http://faculty.georgetown.edu/wheltosa/NEJMDMComplications.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Douglas is right about very rapid change of blood glucose causing damage to eyes. A sudden drop or spike can cause a bleed in people already diagnosed with retinopathy. Sometimes the effects can be temporary and reversible – but not always. A member of this forum with username 'Unbeliever' suffered from this -- if you search her past threads you may find more details.

But there's a difference between big spikes caused by a diabetic (diagnosed or undiagnosed) eating too many carbs in an individual meal, and a diet-managed reduction in average BG due to significant reduction of carbs in your food.

Anyway, this is hardly the thread for this discussion (sorry Mick), maybe it should be taken elsewhere.

desidiabulum

But there's a difference between big spikes caused by a diabetic (diagnosed or undiagnosed) eating too many carbs in an individual meal, and a diet-managed reduction in average BG due to significant reduction of carbs in your food.

Anyway, this is hardly the thread for this discussion (sorry Mick), maybe it should be taken elsewhere.

Agreed. I think if you take this issue to another forum you will get the explanation that you need.;)

Reactions: 2 people

iancong

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
people who talk for the sake of talking and don't make much sense. But hay we all have faults.
For the first time I feel I can ask questions and maybe get honest feed back with out being judged I hope???. now I am 42 I got diagnosed with type 2 DB . I am very over weight I am a DJ, I drink a lot, but now I have changed my drink to vodka and soda water 0 sugar . I find it hard to stop having sugar it seems to me it is everything. I really am scared

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi Ian, welcome.

First of all don't panic. Nobody will judge you on here.

Do you know what your diagnosis blood test results were?

(I'll see if I can get admin to move this to a new thread for you)

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
Hi and welcome to the forum @mick6261

It would seem that some of the more established members of the forum have forgotten how utterly terrified and alone you feel when you're diagnosed. There is an ignore function on the forum if you need it, click on the user name and then click on 'ignore'......

It's easy for me to say as I'm a bit further along the road than you are, but try not to worry, if there was any immediate danger to your health you wouldn't be waiting for an appointment to see a nurse, you would have been immediately referred to a consultant. If you're anything like me you've been trawling the internet and reading up about diabetic complications, again it's easy for me to say, but try not to be too concerned about these at this stage, many diabetics don't develop any complications.

One thing that most of us on the forum agree with, is that the NHS dietary guidelines aren't much help to us diabetics, and in fact reducing your carbohydrate intake will help keep your blood glucose levels in control, consistently high blood glucose levels are the main contributing factor of diabetic complications.

Definitely get yourself a blood glucose monitor, the cheapest to run is the SD Codefree which you can get from Amazon or homehealth-uk.com

The information that @daisy1 posted is invaluable, so definitely have a read if that, you might also want to take a look at www.bloodsugar101.com

This forum really is a good place and most people will want to help you, hopefully you haven't been put off by petty squabbles on your first post.

Reactions: 9 people