Indian meal ideas

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
We're going to an Indian restaurant tonight and I haven't been since doing LCHF. I'm looking for inspiration really, what do you order at an Indian?

Just to clarify, I usually have around 80g carbs a day but no more than 35g with one meal. I could extend that for the sake of one night normally, but I'm going away for the weekend and don't want to deviate too much from my usual diet.

Thanks in advance

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i am partial to just the meat and sauce without the rice or nan, still got carbs of course........

i think poppadoms are also much lower than the rice and nan, and they go well with spiced onions....

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I wondered about a poppadom, considering that option.

I had some wild rice last night, saw my second highest reading ever so not doing that for a while LOL

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
my indian restaurant (been twice in 18 months) will happily cook low sugar meals for me, i had a chat and they advised me on the ingredients, i go for the veggies and dry curries rather than the rich sauces,

there is nothing scientific about my reply

Reactions: 4 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I eat any curry especially the creamy ones, a poppadum or two wont hurt. Order side dishes too or just have a few side dishes.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
the reason for the lack of visits (curry is my favourite food) is it just isn't the same without the rice and especially the naan, boooooo :(

Reactions: 2 people

johnmtp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Try lentils, they are low in carbs. (about 20g per 100g if boiled)

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Im with scotty 57, tandoori chicken. How about a popadam followed by a kebab starter which is usually served with salad. My mouths watering now. :)

Reactions: 3 people

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well guys I feel starving now LOL. Thanks for the ideas...setting off in a bit...looking forward to my first meal out in weeks! See yah later x

Reactions: 4 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I love an Indian.
Haven't been to one since I caught diabetes off a toilet seat though.
Low carbing high fatting ... no rice but lots of cream and yoghurt helps ....
I have had home made.
Instead of a full naan only half a one covered in butter.
Very small portion of rice which is a bummer but needs must.
Chicken and a lot of veg.
Spiked highest at 8 which I was quite happy with to be honest.
Oh dear having read this thread now I might have to go and have an eight spike!!!.

Reactions: 3 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello. I think this thread has made us all want to eat Indian food. My salad just wasnt the same tonight lol. :)

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
We regularly have an indian takeaway. I have the dry tandoori starters (our indian does a tandoor mix starter and it's fab). For main I always have a chicken or lamb shashlick a side of cauliflower back and a chapati. A whole chapati comes in at around 25g carbs and I normally add about 5g for the mini onion bajhi and about 5g for the cauli bajhi. So only 35g in total. I spike a bit 3-4 hours later sometimes (not always?) but only to about 10/11 and then I just do a quick correction bolus and I have no other issues. Well worth it as I love an indian. Enjoy your meal tonight.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
We regularly have an indian takeaway. I have the dry tandoori starters (our indian does a tandoor mix starter and it's fab). For main I always have a chicken or lamb shashlick a side of cauliflower back and a chapati. A whole chapati comes in at around 25g carbs and I normally add about 5g for the mini onion bajhi and about 5g for the cauli bajhi. So only 35g in total. I spike a bit 3-4 hours later sometimes (not always?) but only to about 10/11 and then I just do a quick correction bolus and I have no other issues. Well worth it as I love an indian. Enjoy your meal tonight.
See as a T2 I can't just correct it which is very annoying.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Indian tends to be my go to takeaway. I dont have them often. Treating myself tonight to my usual, chicken tikka starter, chicken korma, mushroom bhaji and onion bhaji. Mmmmmmm cant wait. Oh and a poppadom or 2 :happy:

Reactions: 2 people