Learner driver insurance

Misty1

My son who is Type 1 will be 17 in a couple of weeks and is desperate to drive! He has his provisional licence through - no endorsements apart from renew after 3 years. Any tips or advice on learner driver insurance policies would be greatly appreciated. Marmalade seem to be recommend for teen drivers?. Thank you

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
All you can do is find the cheapest and best ins oh and get a mortgage too pay for it :eek: Ins for young learner drivers is very expensive. Insurance companies are not allowed by law to discriminate against people with diabetes.

ck18

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My daughter passed her test last year and I'd had her on my insurance while she learnt. We went through our broker. As a learner we were offered specific learner policies - slightly cheaper (about £1200 a year) but the policy only lasted while she learnt and would end as soon as she passed her test or a £1500 policy which lasted for a year regardless of when she passed so if she'd passed a well later she'd still have full cover for the rest of the year. These covered us to drive at the same time - but weren't tied into our own policies so she wouldn't harm our no claims bonus. When she passed I spoke to friends who said they'd spent ages shopping around and got good deals. I went online and got lower quotes than they did then went for the best. Cost me £2500 for first year on new 1.25 engined fiesta and came down to £1500 this year. Watch the type of car if has insurance varies - we were looking at other cars with smaller engines for her and insurance was higher. If you put other named drivers who are over 25 on his policy it will bring down the cost - I. Electric. Yourself/partner in case you need to borrow/drive it! It came down by £100 per driver. Before buying her car I spoke to our usual insurance broker who have me advice but he recommended avoiding the 'black box which monitors how you drive' fitted as its 3 strikes and your out although you can get one which just monitors your mileage. I'm on our 3 car policies, one in my name, and am a'stable' diabetic. It has to be declared, but having spoken to all our insurance companies about it, they want it noted but as long as the dvla are happy, they don't seem conce rned. Just make sure he knows of the rules on driving with diabetes. We're really lucky to have a good insurance broker who we've known for years - you pay a bit extra for their services, but when you need advice they're really handy. They gave me loads of advice re my daughters insurance and aren't afraid to tell me if they feel I'll get better deals elsewhere.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
My son got a good deal through Moneysupermarket, he just entered all his details and they searched for the best deals and came up with a list of insurers to choose from, he did this again when he passed his test and once more got a good deal.

When he does pass his test include your name as a named driver on his policy, both my wife and I are on our sons and for some reason this helps to bring down the price of the policy.

chloe88

I'm currently learning to drive and I have my car insurance with Collingwood Learners. It's about £400 a year- around that. My mum is a named driver.
I used comparethemarket.com.