Books?

Ghostman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

As I am new to this diabetes malarkey - recently diagnosed with type 2 - I am struggling to get to grips with what I can / can't eat or drink. So, can anyone out there recommend a decent book which lists the stuff we can have? Would be ever so grateful, as to be honest it is getting to me a little.

Cheers
Ghosty

Reactions: 2 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Ghostman. I must admit I havent bought any books but I have read a great deal of information on the internet. I have found this website very informative. :)

Ghostman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi mo53

Thanks for the reply! Yes I can see that this is a fabby place :)
I just like the feel of a book and I find them much easier to thumb through in a hurry...

K

Kat100

When I first started out on this two years ago , I read Patrick holfords books , they were books I could get to grips with ....
Others may have different authors ....there are so many it can get confusing ...
The net is a great resource as well of course ....
Hope you find a book you like , so much new information out all the time ....

Reactions: 5 people
K

Kat100

Hi all

As I am new to this diabetes malarkey - recently diagnosed with type 2 - I am struggling to get to grips with what I can / can't eat or drink. So, can anyone out there recommend a decent book which lists the stuff we can have? Would be ever so grateful, as to be honest it is getting to me a little.

Cheers
Ghosty
Never let it get to,you, in the end you will be the one in control ....read and relax , it takes time to understand the basic knowledge , I still feel,new to it all everyday....it is life long learning ....take is slowly and it will all fit into place ....
I always have to remind myself of knowledge though ....and keep,updated ...then decide if it is for me or not....more easy to say than done ...it does get to you, I guess many have good and bad days ....best wishes ....kat

Reactions: 6 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
If you take on board the need to reduce carbs, then a great book that tells you how many carbs, calories, fat etc is in a whole load of foods and meals is simply called 'Carbs & Cals'.

For more general dietary guidance you can look at www.dietdoctor.com/lchf. Many on here do LCHF (including me), some go higher carb than others and some go lower fat than others, but you need to replace the calories you don't get from the carbs you no longer eat with something else (balancing as required to manage weight as well).

Good luck and keep asking questions!

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
Somebody recommended Carbs and Cals to me, but to be honest I didn't find it that useful. Most of the really useful stuff I've found by simply reading this forum and asking for advice here. I'd recommend doing some research (there's loads of useful info on this site, as well as in the forum) and then seeing what things you'd like to try out for yourself.

Since I have weight to lose, I've gone down the LCHF diet route (there's a forum here where you can get support with that) - Google low carb high fat diet. Some people love it, some people hate it, but my weight is dropping off, my BG control is really good and my dietician today said he wholeheartedly approved of it. If you'd like to know more, I'll gladly bore you with details LOL.

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi all

Cheers
Ghosty
I forgot to add that, essentially, nothing is "out", you just need to watch the portion sizes...some foods you'll only be able to tolerate in such small amounts that it's not worth bothering! For me, white rice and bread is basically out as I can't have enough to make it worthwhile, but I can have 1 slice of Burgen bread and 100g new potatoes...onwards and upwards LOL. My dietician recommended starting with around 10g total carbohydrate of something like rice or pasta etc and then checking my blood as I would normally. If it goes too high, reduce the portion size, but if it hardly changes, I can try more next time. Just tried wild rice...let's see how that pans out!

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For a pretty good background reading, I bought Gretchen Becker's "The First Year: Type 2 Diabetes".

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm another Carbs & Cals advocate. When I first started it was my bible because it contains thousands of pictures of common every day foods served out on plates with the cooked weights, so you can see the portion sizes of different weights, also gives the calories, carbs, fats, protein and fibre amounts contained in that cooked portion. I still use it now, although I am used to seeing what a suitable portion size looks like now.

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm another Carbs & Cals advocate. When I first started it was my bible because it contains thousands of pictures of common every day foods served out on plates with the cooked weights, so you can see the portion sizes of different weights, also gives the calories, carbs, fats, protein and fibre amounts contained in that cooked portion. I still use it now, although I am used to seeing what a suitable portion size looks like now.
Everything I've tried to find doesn't seem to be in there @Bluetit1802 - am I doing something wrong, or just eating really weird foods or something. Seriously. I live in Yorkshire, our food isn't THAT weird LOL

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hmmmm...good question now, but it was essentially everything I looked up at one point. I have the app version of the book but its supposed to contain more items, which I find hard to believe. I'll have a look through my recent food diary and compare with carbs and cals...I'd be interested to know if its in your book version x

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmmm...good question now, but it was essentially everything I looked up at one point. I have the app version of the book but its supposed to contain more items, which I find hard to believe. I'll have a look through my recent food diary and compare with carbs and cals...I'd be interested to know if its in your book version x

I think the book is supposed to be better, but I haven't got the app so can't compare. It's also the full book and not the pocket version that is best. I won't be here for a week after tomorrow morning, (a week away with no internet access) but I'd also be interested to know!

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I think the book is supposed to be better, but I haven't got the app so can't compare. It's also the full book and not the pocket version that is best. I won't be here for a week after tomorrow morning, (a week away with no internet access) but I'd also be interested to know!
Will compare when you get back...I'll message you. Have a good trip x