hba1c down a bit, very pleased.

zazoopits

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Got my test results for my latest three month hba1c and it's down from 51 to 45. I realise it's not a huge result but I'm very happy it's heading the right way. I've been sticking to the low carb diet and this last while I've been very tired, it turns out my iron levels are very low. Pernicious anaemia runs in my family so I am thinking it also might be that. I wanted to ask for some advice, the gp is sending me for another Ogtt next week, how do I prepare for it as I believe if I keep low carbing it will knock the figures off. Can somebody tell me how to eat for the days leading up to the test. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks always to the wonderful people on this forum!

Reactions: 14 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Well done for getting a lower hba1c result and good luck with your Ogtt test next week. Take care

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That is a wonderful result! You have taken yourself out of the diabetic range and in to the pre-diabetic range, so I would say it is a huge result, and I say very well done. Good luck with the Ogtt, sorry can't help with preparation as I've never had one.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done you. Why are you having an oral glucose test? I think people normally try and eat higher amounts of carbs for a few days beforehand in preparation for it as low carbing can skew the results as our pancreas is not so used to dealing with all that glucose.

zazoopits

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done you. Why are you having an oral glucose test? I think people normally try and eat higher amounts of carbs for a few days beforehand in preparation for it as low carbing can skew the results as our pancreas is not so used to dealing with all that glucose.
Thanks ethyl, I'm not sure, the gp has requested it. I'll try and up the carbs a bit beforehand.

Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Yay, good stuff, well done!

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Got my test results for my latest three month hba1c and it's down from 51 to 45. I realise it's not a huge result but I'm very happy it's heading the right way. I've been sticking to the low carb diet and this last while I've been very tired, it turns out my iron levels are very low. Pernicious anaemia runs in my family so I am thinking it also might be that. I wanted to ask for some advice, the gp is sending me for another Ogtt next week, how do I prepare for it as I believe if I keep low carbing it will knock the figures off. Can somebody tell me how to eat for the days leading up to the test. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks always to the wonderful people on this forum!

I believe you need to eat around 150g of carbs a day, for three days before, otherwise the GTT goes through the roof.

zazoopits

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe you need to eat around 150g of carbs a day, for three days before, otherwise the GTT goes through the roof.
Thanks Douglas, feels a bit weird eating carbs to such an extent but only for a few days hopefully. Any tips on what to eat that makes up 150 g daily?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I don't lowcarb I'm afraid, but there must be others who have done a GTT, and had to build up their tolerance again.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You need to have fairly fast acting carbs because that is what they are going to give you to drink (75g I think) so I would suggest white bread toast. You need to work yourself up to the 75g of carbs in one sittingover a period of a few days. and you also need to maintain the 75g (per meal) for at least 3 days before your OGTT but I would suggest about a week. Good luck with it.

zazoopits

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You need to have fairly fast acting carbs because that is what they are going to give you to drink (75g I think) so I would suggest white bread toast. You need to work yourself up to the 75g of carbs in one sittingover a period of a few days. and you also need to maintain the 75g (per meal) for at least 3 days before your OGTT but I would suggest about a week. Good luck with it.
Hi Andrew, the thought of eating bread of any kind never mind white kinda scares me! I've tried so hard with low carbing that I'm terrified I'll fall right off the wagon, never to get back on again! Not really sure now if I should have agreed to the test in the first place. Quite happy with the reduction in my hba1c. Help! Apart from bread ( in case I go ahead) what other carbs would you recommend, what about cereal etc? Thnx x

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
you could try lemonade (non diet) or lucozade with mash potatoes (shepherds pie maybe) - pastry of different kinds is also good so how about apple pies.. You just need to get used to fast acting carbs for a few days before the test

zazoopits

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
you could try lemonade (non diet) or lucozade with mash potatoes (shepherds pie maybe) - pastry of different kinds is also good so how about apple pies.. You just need to get used to fast acting carbs for a few days before the test
I'll give that a go Andrew, it will be easier to give up than bread I think! Many thanks for your help. X

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
For info, you are likely to get some hyper symptoms (feeling tired soon after eating etc) for the first couple of days.

zazoopits

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys, I'm back after not being on the forum for a while as things were chugging along nicely! I started adding back in some carbs in the form of patrick holford low gi muesli which I make up myself with cinnamon, sunflower, pumpkin seeds etc, also having some oatcakes with cheese as snacks etc. went back for my six month hba1c and have had such a shock as its 11!!! I cannot believe it as I've lost round about18 lbs and kept it off. I never cheat, don't eat bread, potatoes, flour etc, I simply don't know what I'm doing wrong.mam thinking about doing the 5:2 diet to see if that will help but would welcome any advice from the forum on how my result can have doubled in just six months. Help.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
do you test your levels before and after eating? You need to understand what your carbs are doing to you. Is it the carbs you have reintroduced or are you running high even without eating carbs. If that is the case then I think you need to go back to your doctor and get some more tests done as your background insulin may be low

zazoopits

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Andrew,I'm don't test myself but I'm thinking it's the oat muesli with milk in the morning along with oatcakes and cheese for snacks that's pushing them up. I am going to go low carb strictly again also do the 5:2 diet and go back in a month to see if there's any improvement. I feel starting metformin as the gp advised isn't helping the underlying problem of insulin resistance, I need to tackle the ir with fasting I think. Would u agree?