Submission on fats and carbs to Which? and Diabetes UK?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thinking about my primary school days, some of us crimklies should remember what we ate. Typically Sunday, a small chicken two veg a couple of roasties. Monday, bubble and squeak of the left overs. Tuesday, dad had tripe, we had corned beef with mash, Wednesday we had a stew from cheap cuts. Thursday was usually either cheese on toast or beans on toast. Friday was a fish with choppier chips. It was payday! The big treat of the week. Saturday was a soup from bones from a ham shank.
This was how I remember it in our house of six, both parents worked. Lunch was at school. Breakfast was weetabix.
This was our diet. We couldn't afford to eat better! Would I want to return to that diet? No! Would I wants my grandkids to eat offal? Not all the time! Only if they wanted to!
Education is the only solution.
Kids go for fashionable things. Make it that way! You can have fast food which is good for diabetics!

Want a kebab now!

Reactions: 3 people

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Do you know what scouse is? And lob scouse?
You are on a mission and are very dismissive of the basics that the majority of the populations diet!
The biggest threat to our health system is the stuff we put into our mouths!
Yet you haven't mentioned education.
The knowledge is out there but what is taught advertised and recommended is propaganda towards the so called 'healthy diet'!
The modern society is 'too busy' to cook. So fast food is the only alternative.
If you have seen some of what top chefs like Jamie Oliver has tried to do and change in schools and hospitals, then the crusade you are undertaking is a lot bigger than you realise!

I think we are in heated agreement!

People need educating about what is good, healthy food and what is not.
I am suggesting a particular route to get this moving, but any method that informs and educates is more than welcome.
Suggestions please:)

I didn't think I was being dismissive of the traditional diet - as far as I know Scouse is very similar to Lancashire Hotpot but as I say my family were mainly Mancunians.
Traditional 'working class' food is generally healthy and budget concious - and is something that people do not seem to cook so much these days.
'Fast food' is so cheap and easily available that the hard work of cooking a cheap nutritious meal for the family no longer seems to be attractive.
When I were a lad we didn't eat out - a trip to a restaurant was a very rare (blue moon?) treat (and generally not as good as home cooking).
The only fast food was the chip shop and the Wimpy.
Tell that to the kids of today.......

So yes, we need to educate people.
The main problem will be making them listen.

Cheers

LGC

Reactions: 2 people

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
If we all went vegetarian tomorrow the environment would collapse within a very very short space of time.

Due to the extra methane in the atmosphere?

Reactions: 4 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Due to trying to grow the amount of veg needed!
Wales feeds millions of people lamb and beef.
Take the animals away and what you have left is not arable land but good grazing land.
Grass that turns into meat.
To grow veg on that land would require massive amounts of oil based fertilizers or natural gas these days constantly and forever.
The run off into Birminghams water supply would be catastophic and the expense of the fertilizers needed would be way to prohibitive.
Theres only a very small part of the grazing land ... something like 10% that you could attempt to change as well.
The rest is far to exposed to wind salt cold and rain.
Wales would become barren and mostly vacant as farming collapsed.
I talk of Wales because I know the place well.
The rest of the U.K has similar if not quite so severe problems.
I think it's only twenty percent of Welsh land that is arable.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
We need meat supplies!! Not so much arables!!! I love Wales.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
We need meat supplies!! Not so much arables!!! I love Wales.
Me too.
I'm a Manc who lives here now.
Lived here over twenty five years and I never tire of its stunning beauty.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Lived in glorious south wales halfway up black mountain and it was stunning. People fantastic. Shame no jobs to have kept living there!! I cry everytime I cross the bridge (not at the extortionate toll charges!!) and every time i come back on it!!

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I'm in the north ... all mountains and beaches and forrests and I can never get enough of the views as they change depending on the light and the seasons.

Reactions: 5 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Thinking about my primary school days, some of us crimklies should remember what we ate. Typically Sunday, a small chicken two veg a couple of roasties. Monday, bubble and squeak of the left overs. Tuesday, dad had tripe, we had corned beef with mash, Wednesday we had a stew from cheap cuts. Thursday was usually either cheese on toast or beans on toast. Friday was a fish with choppier chips. It was payday! The big treat of the week. Saturday was a soup from bones from a ham shank.
This was how I remember it in our house of six, both parents worked. Lunch was at school. Breakfast was weetabix.
This was our diet. We couldn't afford to eat better! Would I want to return to that diet? No! Would I wants my grandkids to eat offal? Not all the time! Only if they wanted to!
Education is the only solution.
Kids go for fashionable things. Make it that way! You can have fast food which is good for diabetics!

Want a kebab now!

My mum used cook tripe for my dad, it was the most evil smelling thing ever, as soon as I opened the garden gate to go down the path to the kitchen, the smell would hit me:yuck: My mum would cook, meat with pearl barley soup, lentil soup, Mince and tatties, a nice pork chop, sausages, liver and onions was another favourite and all dinners were with lots of veg and some potatoes and the Bisto and Oxo gravy. A fish and chip supper was a treat, and a trip to the Wimpy house too, We still had sweets though, I would buy 2 oz of cola cubes or pineapple chunks on the way to our girls school ( only there 1 year) My dad would have porridge for breakfast, with salt, my sister and I had cereal, or a boiled egg for breakfast with soldiers and or just toast. Happy days with many happy memories :) both parents Scottish.

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
My mum used cook tripe for my dad, it was the most evil smelling thing, as soon as I opened the back garden gate to go down the path to the kitchen, the smell would hit me:yuck: My mum would cook, meat with pearl barley soup, lentil soup, Mince and tatties, a nice pork chop, sausages, liver and onions was another favourite and all dinners were with lots of veg and some potatoes and the Bisto and oxo gravy. A fish and chip supper was a treat, and a trip to the Wimpy house too, We still had sweets though, I would buy 2 oz of cola cubes or pineapple chunks on the way to our girls school ( only there 1 year) My dad would have porridge for breakfast, with salt, my sister and I had cereal, or a boiled egg for breakfast with soldiers and or just toast. Happy days with many happy memories :) both parents Scottish.

Mmmm.....mince & tatties, my mum would make this once or twice a week :) When times were good we would get fish & chips on a Friday night and all sit down to watch Kojak, Starsky & Hutch, Ironside or Hawaii Five-0

Great memories..........................

Last edited by a moderator:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm in the north ... all mountains and beaches and forrests and I can never get enough of the views as they change depending on the light and the seasons.
Visited many many times, lots of lovely beaches and wàlked around snowdonia.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Mmmm.....mince & tatties, my mum would make this once or twice a week :) When times were good we would get fish & chips on a Friday night and all sit down to watch Kojak, Starsky & Hutch, Ironside or Hawaii Five-0

Love this, same here Noblehead, brilliant shows too......................... Book 'im danno :D

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Due to trying to grow the amount of veg needed!
Wales feeds millions of people lamb and beef.
Take the animals away and what you have left is not arable land but good grazing land.
Grass that turns into meat.
To grow veg on that land would require massive amounts of oil based fertilizers or natural gas these days constantly and forever.
The run off into Birminghams water supply would be catastophic and the expense of the fertilizers needed would be way to prohibitive.
Theres only a very small part of the grazing land ... something like 10% that you could attempt to change as well.
The rest is far to exposed to wind salt cold and rain.
Wales would become barren and mostly vacant as farming collapsed.
I talk of Wales because I know the place well.
The rest of the U.K has similar if not quite so severe problems.
I think it's only twenty percent of Welsh land that is arable.
Just been talking to a Scottish friend about his independance vote and he says the Scottish hill farms are the same.
No meat would mean no farming.
Vegetarianism would cause the collapse of British agriculture in huge areas and create food shortages and massive price spikes.
Another problem with vegetarian farming is the growing uncertainty regarding climate change.
A veg farmer needs to rely massively on weather certainties.
Lamb will grow all year round in almost any climate or terrain.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

You missed the Rockford Files. Always on a Friday night on the Beeb .

Reactions: 5 people
G

graj0

My main concern is the highly processed and cheap carbohydrates.

The current NICE advice advocates making carbohydrates a major part of every meal.
The increase in obesity can be tracked against the rise in high carbohydrate low fat eating.

LGC
Obesity and diabetes have both increased since the high carb low fat diet was recommended. I have a suspicion that the real problem is high carb, high fat and high sugar and high salt. Perhaps I could generalise and just say processed foods.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You missed the Rockford Files. Always on a Friday night on the Beeb .

Yes Jim Rockford, great tv series and sadly James Garner is no longer with us. Did you ever watch Petrocelli about a lawyer starring Barry Newman, that use to be on a Friday night too around the middle/late 70's.

Jill the tt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
unkindness

i read a while ago the biggest culprit of methane was termite farts, can't see us killing all of them.

i think education is the way to go, there is a Dr John Briffa, he advocates the change to low carbs, he also on his website mentions another Dr, who he calls a voice in the wilderness, i'm sorry i don't have time to look for it, but you can find it, they may be up for helping, John Briffa will answer emails, you have to get credible people on board, who can talk at a deep medical level and command respect.
also you need to concentrate on the UK not the world, Fiji has terrible problems with diabetes, so suggesting we offload our unwanted high carb on them isn't going to help.

this is a huge and difficult undertaking but very worthy, so come up with a plan of action, the biggest problem with collecting data from surgeries is data protection how would you get around that.

i love living in Wales, jobs can be difficult hubby has to work away mostly, we get quite excited when he can commute, but thats just life these days

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes Jim Rockford, great tv series and sadly James Garner is no longer with us. Did you ever watch Petrocelli about a lawyer starring Barry Newman, that use to be on a Friday night too around the middle/late 70's.
Yes of course! I now remember Frank Cannon on a Saturday! Loved that!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yes of course! I now remember Frank Cannon on a Saturday! Loved that!

Yeah Frank Cannon, classic tv cop shows. In the 80's I was a big fan of Hill Street Blues, ''be careful out there''............:)

Apologises LGC, last one so hope your thread gets back on track.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Given up all hope, but it is fun! :)