Forced positive on the test???

Blah

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
Recently I went to do the the official 3 hour fasting test. My results came back positive for GD. I think that the results are wrong because rather then taking the normal 1 hour test, with the regular amount of sugar in the awful drink, the Doctor had me drink one that was double the sugar. So that my tests would show as a positive. I have never taken in that much sugar on any given day during or in recent years. So of course my results are going to be abnormal. What I want to know is if this is legit. I think it is not, because I overall though this pregnancy have eaten well when I can. Lost weight because I cannot hold a full meals worth in the stomach, Granted I haven't had as much exercise as I should due to the nature of the job, working 40 + hours a week, and trying to get as close to a full nights sleep when I can. Worst part about all this is that I am already stressed out over everything, and having the dr. have me due this test then tell me it is positive.... Also I had been on and took extra precautions and took chromium just before the test. to help regulate the bg levels. So I suspect that the dr. may be lying or intentionally created a positive test so that they could place me on meds and everything else. :eek: Also the day before I took the test I had a check up and she is the right size and heart beat is fine..

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I also do not understand why you think the doctor would want to do this. What were your results btw? Did you find you are marginally out of bounds or by a large amount?

Reactions: 2 people

Emma_P23

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Surely they can't create a false test? Wouldn't your body be able to react effectively to the glucose if you weren't diabetic? I don't understand why you would think they were trying to get a false positive test?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
How much chromium supplement did you take?
Just before the test probably would not have much effect.

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
Blah, I think you should take the diagnosis of gestational diabetes very seriously. (And why ever would your doctor try to give you a false diagnosis?)

The mother of my two (healthy) grandchildren was also diagnosed with GD. So she was on a very regular basis after diagnosis checked by a leading hospital who would keep a close eye on both the mother and the baby. Everything was well (no abnormalities with regard to the babies) until she was about to give birth.

But on both occasions, she had to have acute cesarians (as the babies' lifesigns were quickly diminishing). My son reports that on the last occasion, the operating surgeon was litterally hopping up and down, constantly asking whether the anaestesia had taken effect - he wanted badly to get the baby out - and now ...

This is not written to scare you in any way - but - as said - to ask you to take this seriously. And maybe also to make sure that you get a much closer supervision from now on.

annelise

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'll post my reply to your other thread

How many weeks along are you? Are you overweight?

If you can get hold of a meter (inexpensive one is called Codefree and available from ebay and amazon) then you can do your own GTT with a 500ml bottle of regular lucozade. Fast overnight, in the morning, test your blood sugar, drink it in 5 minutes and sit down and do nothing and test your blood sugar every 30 minutes for the next two hours. If you get figures similar to the one at the GP then you may have GD.

Do you have appointments at the hospital? If you do then mention it to them what the doctor did. or speak to your midwife.

It is better to have GD recognised in pregnancy and not everyone has to go on insulin. If your baby gets too much sugar then it will grow too big and you will have problems delivering it and it may have problems after it is born.

I had borderline GD with two of my pregnancies (out of three) and I was monitored more closely and scanned more often. I don't know the levels I was at as it was 29 and 22 years ago. I wasn't on insulin. I did end up with two babies weighing over 9lb (the other was 7lb 12oz).

I can see that you are cross that you were given the wrong test, you should ask for it to be done again. It isn't the end of the world to have GD but if you do then it is probable that you could get Type 2 in the future (nobody told me this).

Blah

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Why would a doctor do this?
I am not fully sure, but here is what I know the first test I did I came back fine, then at 28 weeks I was 1 point over the cut off. So they wanted to do the 3 hour test. From there the 3 hour test is what came back as positive.

Blah

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll post my reply to your other thread

How many weeks along are you? Are you overweight?

If you can get hold of a meter (inexpensive one is called Codefree and available from ebay and amazon) then you can do your own GTT with a 500ml bottle of regular lucozade. Fast overnight, in the morning, test your blood sugar, drink it in 5 minutes and sit down and do nothing and test your blood sugar every 30 minutes for the next two hours. If you get figures similar to the one at the GP then you may have GD.

Do you have appointments at the hospital? If you do then mention it to them what the doctor did. or speak to your midwife.

It is better to have GD recognised in pregnancy and not everyone has to go on insulin. If your baby gets too much sugar then it will grow too big and you will have problems delivering it and it may have problems after it is born.

I had borderline GD with two of my pregnancies (out of three) and I was monitored more closely and scanned more often. I don't know the levels I was at as it was 29 and 22 years ago. I wasn't on insulin. I did end up with two babies weighing over 9lb (the other was 7lb 12oz).

I can see that you are cross that you were given the wrong test, you should ask for it to be done again. It isn't the end of the world to have GD but if you do then it is probable that you could get Type 2 in the future (nobody told me this).

I will be 35 weeks as of Monday. I am over weight however with this pregnancy I have lost weight due to not being able to eat. When i do eat most of the food I consume is healthy. however I have had to add more carbs and fats to try to keep at least same weight. The Doctors at the community health center sometimes really don't care much for the views of the patient. As I did not want to do the test in the first place because it is subjecting me to high levels of sugar which could push my body into such situations. So when someone like myself talks to the Doctor they just sit out the same old rhetoric not taking into consideration that maybe the patient knows what their body can handle. I honestly will not do this test again while I am pregnant because I don't want to subject the child to all that sugar. 3 times is way to much. Also I am not interested in having the Dr's cut on me since I have been down that road before. I don't know how far off the tests were as that is not something the doctors tell. They just say hey, you had abnormalities there for you are there for we want you to take A,B,C,D....

Blah

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Blah, I think you should take the diagnosis of gestational diabetes very seriously. (And why ever would your doctor try to give you a false diagnosis?)

The mother of my two (healthy) grandchildren was also diagnosed with GD. So she was on a very regular basis after diagnosis checked by a leading hospital who would keep a close eye on both the mother and the baby. Everything was well (no abnormalities with regard to the babies) until she was about to give birth.

But on both occasions, she had to have acute cesarians (as the babies' lifesigns were quickly diminishing). My son reports that on the last occasion, the operating surgeon was litterally hopping up and down, constantly asking whether the anaestesia had taken effect - he wanted badly to get the baby out - and now ...

This is not written to scare you in any way - but - as said - to ask you to take this seriously. And maybe also to make sure that you get a much closer supervision from now on.

annelise

My question back would be, why would the doctors make me take double the dose for a test. If the test was ordered in the first place because of the level in a 1 hour test dose then shouldn't the 3 hour also be used to measure that same level??? I would think so.

Blah

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
Surely they can't create a false test? Wouldn't your body be able to react effectively to the glucose if you weren't diabetic? I don't understand why you would think they were trying to get a false positive test?

I am not / was not a diabetic because although I am over weight I do not take in large amounts of carbs or sugars. Since I know that I could. My over weightness comes from sitting at a desk job for around 11 hours a day.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not / was not a diabetic because although I am over weight I do not take in large amounts of carbs or sugars. Since I know that I could. My over weightness comes from sitting at a desk job for around 11 hours a day.

There are many diagnosed diabetics, of every type, who did not take in large amounts of carbs and sugars before diagnosis.

That is an incorrect assumption that is encouraged by the media and leads to inaccurate judgements and continued ignorance.

Reactions: 7 people

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In my first pregnancy I'd been fine all along. I was 38 weeks when I got a positive test, so it can happen at any time. My second pregnancy was fine all the way through and my third five years later it was at about 26 weeks when I got GD

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Different countries and hospitals use different amounts of glucose and time for the challenge.
A quick bit of googling shows that in the US it is standard procedure for an initial one hour glucose challenge to use 50g glucose and a second three hour one to use 100g glucose.
http://www.perinatology.com/Reference/Reference Ranges/3OGTT.htm
So it's a normal test with well documented cut off values for diagnosing gestational diabetes not a doctor doubling the amount to force your results in any way.
This blogger talks about it here.
http://www.lasandcolgotexan.com/pregnancy-glucose-challenge-test-1hr-and-glucose-tolerance-test-3hr/

I agree with the previous writers that is far better to take note of what the doctor has said because the whole intention is to prevent future problems for yourself or your baby.

Reactions: 5 people