test strips

johnny37

I have always had as many strips as I want, as man y as 10 a day. My control is not as good as it should be The only way I can keep my hba1c down is to take many tests with corrections if necessary. My gp is currently on an economy drive and wants me to cut my usage. How many strips do you use and why?

Thanks

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
On average I test around 7-8 times a day. I'm not an insulin pump user so the other members will perhaps guide you where you might be going wrong with your bg levels, but testing 10 times a day (for a pumper) doesn't seem excessive to me.

Back in Feb 2013 all gp practices were sent out letters to advise them on restricting test strips for type 1's, if you want you could print it off and remind your Dr of it's contents:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa.../Safe-care-of-people-with-type-1-diabetes.pdf

Reactions: 3 people

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Explain to your gp that you have to test 4-6 times a day minimum as part of the criteria for keeping your insulin pump. I test anything from 4-10 times a day easily. Basal testing I test every hour!

Reactions: 2 people

ealingr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
At a minimum, I typically test when I get up and before bed, plus before each meal and snack, so I wouldn't use less than 5 strips in a day. I often use more as I test more if I'm doing exercise, trying to deal with extreme highs/lows, etc.

Do you see your GP for your diabetes care? If so, the advice you've been given sounds good. However, if you see a consultant for your diabetes care, perhaps you could ask him or her to write a letter to your GP explaining that you need the strips to manage your diabetes effectively and requesting that they not be restricted?

johnny37

thanks for the replies. My gp woukld like me to reduce to 6 drums in a 60 day prescribing period ie 5 a day. The benefit of regular testing is well documented but 'how many'. The letter linked by noblehead is not very specific. I fully appreciate the need to keep costs down. I believe diabetes is the biggest single cost to the nhs. After 30 yrs of unrestricted access I must have cost the nhs a fortune. I am seeing my DSN soon and will try to get her on board. Ive had a rotten time in the last month with wide swings for no reason, and consequently lots of testing. If I can get better control I think the gp might be persuaded to compromise! Ive also got an industry professional (my son) researching exactly how much individual strips cost to the nhs.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
with pump use comes more testing, they need to know that, because of the nature of the insulin delivery, pump users can test and correct their BG at regular intervals if they wanted to in order to get tighter control..........

so it makes sense in order to get the most value out of the pump......

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
On a pump and if basal and sugars are running ok and life is normal (!!) I test on average 10 times a day. Anything out of the ordinary or hypos, strange feelings or illness and it's more. On the other hand, my HBA1c is lowering every time I'm seen since having the pump and I'm hardly ever at the docs or with DSN about diabetes issues. That is a huge saving in resource and money for them so extra test strips makes complete sense.

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Intest 10 ish times a day, bu again on a pump! Pump users do for some reason test more.. Even when like me been on pump 4+ years.

However, i would just like to add.. If you drive you need to test and be above 5.0. BUT, your gp does not have to prescribe more strips because you drive... It could be seen as a luxury rather than a necessity!! So using "but I need to test before I drive' reason may not go down well with ur GP.

If you have troubles with GP prescribing it may be good to explain to your consultant and ask for them to write to your Gp to tell them your minimum requirements

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Have you had a GP say this to you re: driving? Just interested as it's ridiculous if they have. A lot of us who live in rural areas don't have the 'luxury' of public transport unfortunately so driving is a real necessity and we'd unable to exist without having a car.......unless of course they start providing diabetics with taxis!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I know that certain gp's that I have dealings with and indeed NHS persons above do not see driving as a necessity. I had a GP in Wales thT thought a T1 could use 1 strip a day.

My hospital DSN in Wales wrote to GP and it wa put on my records (still on prescription) PUMP USER.. Do not adjust..

Last edited by a moderator:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm in France, I get prescribed 6 a day though because they can't dispense that exactly it ends up at just under 7 a day (200 a month.)I doubt I would be prescribed more.
I used to use more, especially when doing a lot of running and used to buy extra, now it is just about the right amount.
I can use as few as 4 in a day (fasting/pre breakfast, pre lunch, pre dinner and bed) and 10 on a day when I'm more active. Basically I think it has to come down to how variable your lifestyle is

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
We're told that you test before food and 2 hours after so that puts the number you use up. I think personally this is right as you need to know that your bolus is right and that the food you're eating isn't spiking you.

iHs

Sadly many areas in England, are now either restricting the amount of teststrips perscribed or diabetics being changed to a different meter that has cheaper strips. Its all about saving money and will in some respect jeopardise the continuation of insulin pumps being able to be used safely or mdi for that matter. I can somehow foresee that diabetics will either buy teststrips privately or risk developing complications