Lisinopril

scribbler

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Hi everyone, you will see I'm pretty new here, but not new to diabetes T2. After years of feeling fine with none of the classic symptoms, I have decided I really need to do something about my condition. I'm taking it slowly and with a scientific approach (please see thread in 'newly diagnosed'). I'm starting off with Lisinopril 2.5mg once a day, I'm taking it at night, given the issues I've had previously with medication I've purposely avoided reading the side effects leaflet! I've now taken seven tablets over the last seven days, and now have started having a really funny sort of 'fluttery' feeling in my stomach and spent all of this morning feeling as if I was wearing a t shirt that was too tight around my chest. I am curious as to whether anyone has had similar symptoms and if so how long they lasted. The feelings wear off/get better throughout the day but reappear approx 30/40mins after taking the tablet. I'm taking it for kidney protection reasons rather than blood pressure reasons. I'm not about to stop taking them, I am assuming it's an adjustment period, but would be interested in people's observations!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I took Lisinopril for hypertension long term. No symptoms like you describe.

Changed to irbesartan last year on recommendation of allergy consultant, as it was reacting with other meds and causing an escalation in wheeziness.

Perhaps your symptoms are because you are anxious about the medication? I would get it checked out by doc if it continues.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i have taken 5 mg but now take 2.5mg nightly, no adverse effects

i do normally tolerate everything though so dont know how useful my input is

best wishes

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

scribbler

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for your replies, I appreciate it. Yes I had considered that I might be anxious about medication, but I was willing this to work without side effects, after I wrote this I went to bed, I had palpitations all night, weird dreams, and my lips felt a bit odd as if they were going to swell up. Went to the docs to check my BP first thing in the morning, was ok but my pulse rate was elevated a bit, I managed to get an appointment with a different doctor later that day and he seemed to think that I might not be able to tolerate ace inhibitors, so we've decided to stop taking this tablet and try something else, he did mention that ramipril is also an ace inhibitor so this may explain some of my previous issues, he also said that it was quite unusual so we'll have to see. All I will say is that I feel 100 times better today than I did yesterday! :)

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your replies, I appreciate it. Yes I had considered that I might be anxious about medication, but I was willing this to work without side effects, after I wrote this I went to bed, I had palpitations all night, weird dreams, and my lips felt a bit odd as if they were going to swell up. Went to the docs to check my BP first thing in the morning, was ok but my pulse rate was elevated a bit, I managed to get an appointment with a different doctor later that day and he seemed to think that I might not be able to tolerate ace inhibitors, so we've decided to stop taking this tablet and try something else, he did mention that ramipril is also an ace inhibitor so this may explain some of my previous issues, he also said that it was quite unusual so we'll have to see. All I will say is that I feel 100 times better today than I did yesterday! :)
Good.
Not sure, but I think it was all the 'pril' ones I had to avoid. Sorted BP, but caused problems for a rare allergy I have.

Hope you get sorted with right meds for you soon.

A

AnnieC

I have been taking 15mg of Lisiniprol plus 5 mg Amlodipine for high blood pressure for almost 9 years now no problems at all with them

G

graj0

Hi everyone, you will see I'm pretty new here, but not new to diabetes T2. After years of feeling fine with none of the classic symptoms, I have decided I really need to do something about my condition. I'm taking it slowly and with a scientific approach (please see thread in 'newly diagnosed'). I'm starting off with Lisinopril 2.5mg once a day, I'm taking it at night, given the issues I've had previously with medication I've purposely avoided reading the side effects leaflet! I've now taken seven tablets over the last seven days, and now have started having a really funny sort of 'fluttery' feeling in my stomach and spent all of this morning feeling as if I was wearing a t shirt that was too tight around my chest. I am curious as to whether anyone has had similar symptoms and if so how long they lasted. The feelings wear off/get better throughout the day but reappear approx 30/40mins after taking the tablet. I'm taking it for kidney protection reasons rather than blood pressure reasons. I'm not about to stop taking them, I am assuming it's an adjustment period, but would be interested in people's observations!

I seem to be one of the fortunate people who has tolerated Lisinopril for a good many years, I'm not aware of any side effects although I experience 4 of the 7 listed common side effects. I think that as my BP is pretty good, I tend to overlook the side effects which don't bother me too much. It would be a different matter if I experienced what you were.

scribbler

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
An update, it clearly wasn't working, so now taking Losartan which I haven't really reacted to, other than a bit of a headache and my blood pressure shooting up.......but it's now on its way back down again so fingers crossed.......

smyler

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I have taken lisinopril 10mg/12.5 mg hydrochlorothiazide for about 9 years. Bp now 128/78. Diagnosed type 2 last week. I have had a cough for 6 months, had antibiotics x 2 chest x ray (clear) now booked in for lung function test. Could it be the lisinopril. Thanks

scribbler

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Well blood pressure on the way down still with the losartan and no side effect issues so it's looking good :)

smyler

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Glad you have found something that works for you, I have appointment at diabetic nurse 11th Oct will mention then link between lisinopril and wheezing, having lung function test then. Congratulations on reducing bp.

Richard157

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Rude members who tend to chase others away, trolls who pretend to be something they are not.
I was taking 10 mg of Lisinopril at night, and then being very dizzy the next morning. I fell down a few times, so I cut my dosages in half. The dizziness is much better, and I do not fall down, but my BP is in the 120-140 range now. My doctor is satisfied with that.