New to Insulin

Tracieo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
HI everyone, I was diagnosed at t2 in 2008. After a few years of being in total denial regarding diabetes I am now working on getting to grips with this condition. As Meds were not controlling the sugars I am now on basal insulin. I started on 16th July 2014 at 10 units in the morning. Now taking 20 units each morning.

My question is: Two hours after a nice big salad for lunch I have just tested as 4.6, do I wait until it drops below 3 or eat a low carb snack now?? Not sure how to spot when I need to eat or just wait and see what happens. Before lunch it was 6.9

any advise would be most helpful. By the way have never had a hypo and dont really know how far to let my levels drop before taking action. DN said to wait to 3 or less but have seen different advise on here. By the way love this website and have eamiled a link to my DN to tell her about it.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
anything below 4 I would say you can start to think about eating something..........

your body will let you know when its not happy with the glucose levels and as you have not had one before those warning signs should come in plenty of time......

non diabetic folk can go below 4 but there livers will respond, as I suppose yours will but as a precaution due to the diabetes below 4 is a good place to start with regards hypos.......:)

Reactions: 2 people

sue.wright

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabeties
hi tracieott
i would not wait until your levels drop i was advised 4 is the floor if you have never experianced a hypo you will certainley know when one starts you usually start feeling shaky and your heart starts to pound, sweaty and you cant think straight and you need to get fast acting drink ie,small glass of coke or lucozade and a bicuit or some carbohydrate

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
any advise would be most helpful. By the way have never had a hypo and dont really know how far to let my levels drop before taking action. DN said to wait to 3 or less but have seen different advise on here. By the way love this website and have eamiled a link to my DN to tell her about it.
I would ask your DR for a referral to the hospital clinic, a DN who tells someone on insulin to wait until BG of below 3 to eat, doesn't sound right to me.
I would take a BG test when you wake up, before each meal and 2 hrs after to eat and your bedtimes, for a few days and get an idea of what your bloods are doing to tell your Dr and DN and hospital clinic
Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l and 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l is the T2 recommendation

this site has helped me with BG
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php

Tracieo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks to you all for the advise. I have never been seen at a hospital clinic - will mention it on my next review.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Agree with Novorapidboi, treat if it drops any further as you don't want to go hypo and swing the other-way. if your basal regularly drops to around 4mmol or below then you should review your basal dose, make a note of your bg readings and present them to your diabetes nurse, they will advise you on adjusting your insulin.