Fishcake recipe

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I tried this out the other night, replacing the mashed potato with mashed cauli. Here's an approximate recipe:

Boil a load of frozen cauli (or fresh, but frozen is already prepared) until it breaks apart in the pan with a fork. Drain. Press the excess water out of the cauli, whilst in the colander, with the bottom of a bowl. Put into a food processor, add salt and process until pureed. Add an egg and some parsley. Add some flaked cooked fish, mix. I put the mix into an egg poaching ring and fried on a medium heat for 6 mins each side.

I had it with a sauce made out of melted philly, capers and mustard.

Going to be a staple in my weekly food.

Reactions: 12 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Sounds delicious.

forge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
It sounds good I have been using a tiny tin of salmon and an egg and cut up onion some grated cheese and a dessert spoon of coconut flour and a dessert spoon of SR wheat flour and baking soda I add enough water to make a thick batter and a bit of curry powder if I feel inclined..

I cook it in a flat sandwich press it cooks from both sides.

I have also cooked the same thing with 2 eggs and no wheat flour.and no cheese.

Tastes good with tomato sauce or sugar free jam made made into chutney by mixing in Worcestershire sauce.

Cauliflower sounds good tho Xanthan gum might help it stick together too, I have some of that.

It is all good fun in the kitchen

Reactions: 2 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you think almond flour would work instead of coconut and wheat flour?:)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
This recipe is my favourite for fish cakes.

They are thick gorgeous ones. You only need one!!

Coconut oil or butter for frying
1 onion finely chopped
1/2 red pepper finely chopped
400g white fish (minced or finely chopped) (I actually put in a a 500g frozen cod pieces from lidl-(£2.79)
50g Philadelphia chives
100g fresh breadcrumbs (I actually use 3 slices of any bread-not recommended amount)
2 tablespoon fresh chives
1/2teaspoon paprika
2cloves garlic crushed (that's to my taste) or 1tspoon garlic powder
Plain flour just for coating

Fry onion n pepper
Allow to cool

Put all ingredients in a bowl and mix together

Form into 4 patties

Toss in a little flour and put in fridge till firm or needed

Fry in coconut oil for about 12 mins- as they are thick I start on a low to medium heat and cook for 8 mins and then turn up to hot heat for about 5 mins (21/2mins each side) to brown them.

I also add a hot chilli and ginger sauce on top.. But that's just my taste.

No potatoes, but just a few breadcrumbs just to bind the ingredients together.

I used to hate fish, but since trying these first, I have now progressed to salmon two or three times a week too.

Honest,they are awesome!!!

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello. I could use breadcrumbs from my cheese and almnd flour loaf couldn't I? :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I reckon so.. Although I've never tried to be honest. I have 2alices of ryebread and was wodering whether I could just add that as breadcrumbs.. Its only as a bonding ingredient!! Not a main ingredient.

Honest, never had anything in a restaurant or home ever in 50years+ better than these fishcakes...

Easily adapted too... I sometimes add hot chilli, or sweet chilli philli... But always 500g cod. Only cos they cone in 250g or 500g packs!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1409337800.549940.jpg

Sad, taking photos of food!! This photo actually made a batch of 6!!

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They look delicious!!!! No it isnt sad. Its actually really helpful as sometimes we cant viualise what recipes will turn out like. ( I took a pic of my cheesey loaf) :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Fry pan was my biggest, on my biggest heater ring!!

Go on dare you to show your photo (and give recipe!!)

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
:)lol lol but it wasnt my recipe I got it off the recipe thread posted by Anniebea66 on page 14. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20140825_173709.jpg
    IMG_20140825_173709.jpg
    671.6 KB · Views: 146

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Looks wonderful!!

forge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
Do you think almond flour would work instead of coconut and wheat flour?:)
Yes @mo53 almond flour would work if you have enough "glue" to hold it together. The "glue" I use can be some wheat flour and or extra egg and or cheese and or olive oil.

Don't be too worried about the carbs in wheat flour because it is not much per serve.

The last one I made I used 2 eggs and 1 small tin and ended up with a giant fish cake and my son and I had 1/2 each for lunch, I have also added frozen diced veg. You get to know when your mix it if it is gluey enough.

My mother used to make what she called "Forge Muddles" which was similar - she just made enough "glue" to hold the leftovers together then shallow fried them.

It is easy to wing it and with the flat sandwich toaster (teflon coated) I just use spray cooking oil that stops it sticking and crusts it up a bit.

hornplayer

God I love fish cakes!

Really miss fish pie. - Proper fish pie, with all sorts of different fish in it and a lovely creamy cheesy mashed potato topping. - The one they serve in The Buccaneer in Tenby, to be exact. I've only had it twice, but no more!! ( - Where do you get those cute little faces from? I want one crying buckets of tears right here.)

Hey ho. My "fish cake" recipe is as follows.
Prawns, desiccated coconut and egg white.
- squidge it all together and stick it under the grill until it's set. The egg will just about hold it together and if you leave the yolks out, it doesn't taste like an omelette.
Or,
Coat prawns in egg white, spread on a baking tray, sprinkle the coconut all over and stick it under the grill until the coconut is toasted. - if you "toss" it as you would a salad, the prawns get nicely coated. - you could put it all on skewers, but seriously, life is too short.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App