The start of my half century year – not quite what I had planned…..

nannyg123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
whingers
Be warned - this is a long 'un.....

OK, so 1st trip to GP in over two years late December 2013. Was I menopausal? Night (and day) sweats along with other symptoms, and/or could I be diabetic? Lots of night time loo trips and a raging thirst in last 2 weeks. Other than that I feel fine and am functioning normally.

Blood tests taken 27th December 2013. Results 2nd January 2014 – Happy New Year – you have type 2 diabetes. Your HbA1c is 106. Appointment booked to see dn following week.

Tell OH and two adult daughters and swear them to secrecy. No intention of telling mum, as she’s had t2 for 25 years – diet/exercise then meds and now insulin. Badly managed and lots of complications. I do not need advice from her.

Spent the day googling and stalking the DCUK forums. Adjust diet and make plans to re-join local leisure spa. Visit dn and tell her the changes I’ve made/am considering. Ask if I can see if diet and exercise will improve levels before heading onto drug regime she had planned for me. “You can refuse meds if you want” was her response. I don’t want to go against advice – just want to know if I can try diet and exercise first.

I say that I’m aware of the need to reduce carbs and eat wholemeal/wheat if I do have bread/pasta/rice. “You can eat white bread if you don’t like brown” was her response. Gulp….

Can I still donate blood? NO was her response (subsequent checks on blood.co.uk suggest I can indeed continue to donate blood).

Can I have a blood glucose monitor so that I can check what foods spike by levels? “You don’t need one of those”. Slight hesitation upon seeing my face – “don’t buy one – if you really want one we could supply one that uses cheap strips. Discuss next time – see you in 4 weeks and I’ll take more blood for repeat HbA1c to confirm diagnosis”.

Blood pressure checked (several times). Quite high. Review next time.

Weight checked. Need to lose 16kg to have healthy bmi.

Referred for DESMOND course and eye screening.

Next day – call from surgery – can you come in and see GP. Made appt and attended –she was just checking that I was refusing meds! Agreed I could try diet and exercise first. I advised I intended to reduce carbs. “Good idea – why would you put something into your body that is going to turn into glucose” (Blimey – she agrees with me!)

Start swimming daily. 30mins to 1hr. Breaststroke, head in, quite fast.

Week later – blurred vision so Sunday morning 9am trip to Specsavers. Prescription has changed due to high sugars/changed eye shape– use reading specs over your contact lenses until things settle (luckily this only took few days).

Eye screening appt. within 3 weeks – mild diabetic changes that can be reversed if you continue with healthy eating and exercise. Initial result 106 he exclaims?!! Were you comatose? No I was not. I was fine.

DESMOND course to start this Saturday – 2 x morning sessions (will give it a go and listen to what they say but will not follow nhs advice to eat carbs with every meal!).

Repeat visit to dn 4th February (5 weeks 5 days since initial blood test). Can I have a blood glucose monitor now so that I can check what foods spike by levels? “I can’t give you one today, as it takes half an hour to show you how to operate it”. Repeats previous advice of “don’t buy one – if you really want one we could supply one that uses cheap strips”. Blood pressure checked – NORMAL (woo!). Weigh check – lost 4 kgs (double woo!) I am enjoying eating proper food and cooking from scratch (already did, but not every day). Repeat HbA1c test taken. When shall I call for the result? “I’ll call you on 7th Feb” says dn. Friday 7th Feb – no call. Monday 10th Feb – no call, so I call surgery just before closing time. “Oh, she’s not in today. Yes, I can see your results are back, but I can’t interpret them”. Is there not just a number somewhere? “No, I’ll ask dn to call you tomorrow”. Tues 11th Feb – no call. Weds 12th Feb – at work, Thurs 13th Feb – at work. Friday 14th Feb lunchtime – I call surgery again. “She’s only half way though her day” when I say I’m waiting for a result. No, I said I was told she’d call LAST Friday.” Sorry, she’s not free”. DN calls 2 hours later. “Well done – HbA1c down to 79. Whatever you’re doing is working”. (That’s because I didn’t follow your advice and eat white bread thinks I). Night (and day sweats) now a thing of the past. Not menopause symptoms after all but due to high sugars that have now dropped. No more night time trips to loo and no more raging thirst – all stopped within first couple of weeks. “aim for 58 in 12 weeks” she says. 58! I want to be 48 (at least!)

Day later - buy iBG STAR monitor that connects to iPhone (bargain at Boots.com £12). Order more strips and lancets online. Start using immediately – so easy to use and love the scatter graph, charts, notes sections. Finding it really useful to see what foods cause spikes.

Week later – bloodshot eye that is soooooo painful and sensitive to light. Visit to GP – told to make emergency appt at opticians that day to check pressure levels behind eye. (Am aware that he wants to rule out acute glaucoma – one of mum’s complications). Call and further visit to Specsavers (who were FAB). Pressures checked and thorough examination. Pressures ok. Turns out it’s a contact lens issue. Although I’ve swum in lenses for almost 32 years it’s a big NO NO and I’ve damaged the rim of the coloured part of my right eye. Check up on Saturday. Specs in the meantime and no swimming until it’s cleared up. Prescription swimming goggles now on order (blind as a bat without lenses/specs).

Well, that the first 8 weeks of 2014 for me. Now to plan how to stick with the right foods when visiting Disneyland Paris with the family in three weeks to celebrate the BIG 50 and then a 9 day trip to Holland to celebrate 30th wedding anniversary (both booked before the D diagnosis).

I spend every day trying to be positive (few wobbles and expletives at stressful times) as I’ve quickly realised that D is here to stay and MUST be managed properly. I want to say a big thank you to all you regulars here on this this forum , where I’ve sought recipes/advice/info regularly over the last 6 weeks as a guest. I’ve chuckled my way through some stories (andy 12345 and his ‘official warning’ being one in particular) and I like that the advice offered (to sometimes ‘woe is me’ posters) is straightforward and to the point – thanks pavlosn. Apologies for the very long first post but needed to get it all of my chest. I'm now in the DCUK club :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 25 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome and well done on your progress

Keep up the good work and come back and tell us how you are getting on.

Anyone who can keep their head, their spirit and their sense of humour as well as you have during the first traumatic weeks following diagnosis, has a lot to contribute to this forum, I am sure. It is not an easy thing to do.

Plus you do have a way with words! I enjoyed reading your story.

Finally, thank you for your kind words.
I am very pleased that something I posted has proved of use to somebody (although if you are referring to the excellent "Basic information for Newly Diagnosed Diabetics" thread, i like to refer people to, I can claim no credit for writing that.)

Enjoy Paris and Holland. Visited Disneyland Paris ourselves a couple of years ago and I am not sure who enjoyed it more, me or my then eight year old son. It does bring out the kid in you!

Pavlos

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
hI

Welcome to the gang. Excellent progress and long may it continue!

Cara

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great first post and great attitude. Welcome to the club.

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's a great story. Well done. Another member that has proved that we don't always get the best advice from our healthcare professionals.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Well on the positive we have seen 50 years of life that anyone younger havent :)

By the way our start paths are similar l went to get the pill l got a different one to what l was expecting :- ))

Reactions: 2 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi nannyg and welcome to the forum:)

Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask all the questions you like and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 70,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

nannyg123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
whingers
Thanks guys n gals for your supportive comments. As I head into week 9 of my new t2 lifestyle I find it helps reading everyone's posts and stories. Daresay I'll have plenty more tales to add myself as time goes on - starting with dn's response when I ask for strips for my 'not needed' big monitor ..... Watch this space!

nannyg123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
whingers
Be warned - this is a long 'un.....

OK, so 1st trip to GP in over two years late December 2013. Was I menopausal? Night (and day) sweats along with other symptoms, and/or could I be diabetic? Lots of night time loo trips and a raging thirst in last 2 weeks. Other than that I feel fine and am functioning normally.

Blood tests taken 27th December 2013. Results 2nd January 2014 – Happy New Year – you have type 2 diabetes. Your HbA1c is 106. Appointment booked to see dn following week.

Tell OH and two adult daughters and swear them to secrecy. No intention of telling mum, as she’s had t2 for 25 years – diet/exercise then meds and now insulin. Badly managed and lots of complications. I do not need advice from her.

Spent the day googling and stalking the DCUK forums. Adjust diet and make plans to re-join local leisure spa. Visit dn and tell her the changes I’ve made/am considering. Ask if I can see if diet and exercise will improve levels before heading onto drug regime she had planned for me. “You can refuse meds if you want” was her response. I don’t want to go against advice – just want to know if I can try diet and exercise first.

I say that I’m aware of the need to reduce carbs and eat wholemeal/wheat if I do have bread/pasta/rice. “You can eat white bread if you don’t like brown” was her response. Gulp….

Can I still donate blood? NO was her response (subsequent checks on blood.co.uk suggest I can indeed continue to donate blood).

Can I have a blood glucose monitor so that I can check what foods spike by levels? “You don’t need one of those”. Slight hesitation upon seeing my face – “don’t buy one – if you really want one we could supply one that uses cheap strips. Discuss next time – see you in 4 weeks and I’ll take more blood for repeat HbA1c to confirm diagnosis”.

Blood pressure checked (several times). Quite high. Review next time.

Weight checked. Need to lose 16kg to have healthy bmi.

Referred for DESMOND course and eye screening.

Next day – call from surgery – can you come in and see GP. Made appt and attended –she was just checking that I was refusing meds! Agreed I could try diet and exercise first. I advised I intended to reduce carbs. “Good idea – why would you put something into your body that is going to turn into glucose” (Blimey – she agrees with me!)

Start swimming daily. 30mins to 1hr. Breaststroke, head in, quite fast.

Week later – blurred vision so Sunday morning 9am trip to Specsavers. Prescription has changed due to high sugars/changed eye shape– use reading specs over your contact lenses until things settle (luckily this only took few days).

Eye screening appt. within 3 weeks – mild diabetic changes that can be reversed if you continue with healthy eating and exercise. Initial result 106 he exclaims?!! Were you comatose? No I was not. I was fine.

DESMOND course to start this Saturday – 2 x morning sessions (will give it a go and listen to what they say but will not follow nhs advice to eat carbs with every meal!).

Repeat visit to dn 4th February (5 weeks 5 days since initial blood test). Can I have a blood glucose monitor now so that I can check what foods spike by levels? “I can’t give you one today, as it takes half an hour to show you how to operate it”. Repeats previous advice of “don’t buy one – if you really want one we could supply one that uses cheap strips”. Blood pressure checked – NORMAL (woo!). Weigh check – lost 4 kgs (double woo!) I am enjoying eating proper food and cooking from scratch (already did, but not every day). Repeat HbA1c test taken. When shall I call for the result? “I’ll call you on 7th Feb” says dn. Friday 7th Feb – no call. Monday 10th Feb – no call, so I call surgery just before closing time. “Oh, she’s not in today. Yes, I can see your results are back, but I can’t interpret them”. Is there not just a number somewhere? “No, I’ll ask dn to call you tomorrow”. Tues 11th Feb – no call. Weds 12th Feb – at work, Thurs 13th Feb – at work. Friday 14th Feb lunchtime – I call surgery again. “She’s only half way though her day” when I say I’m waiting for a result. No, I said I was told she’d call LAST Friday.” Sorry, she’s not free”. DN calls 2 hours later. “Well done – HbA1c down to 79. Whatever you’re doing is working”. (That’s because I didn’t follow your advice and eat white bread thinks I). Night (and day sweats) now a thing of the past. Not menopause symptoms after all but due to high sugars that have now dropped. No more night time trips to loo and no more raging thirst – all stopped within first couple of weeks. “aim for 58 in 12 weeks” she says. 58! I want to be 48 (at least!)

Day later - buy iBG STAR monitor that connects to iPhone (bargain at Boots.com £12). Order more strips and lancets online. Start using immediately – so easy to use and love the scatter graph, charts, notes sections. Finding it really useful to see what foods cause spikes.

Week later – bloodshot eye that is soooooo painful and sensitive to light. Visit to GP – told to make emergency appt at opticians that day to check pressure levels behind eye. (Am aware that he wants to rule out acute glaucoma – one of mum’s complications). Call and further visit to Specsavers (who were FAB). Pressures checked and thorough examination. Pressures ok. Turns out it’s a contact lens issue. Although I’ve swum in lenses for almost 32 years it’s a big NO NO and I’ve damaged the rim of the coloured part of my right eye. Check up on Saturday. Specs in the meantime and no swimming until it’s cleared up. Prescription swimming goggles now on order (blind as a bat without lenses/specs).

Well, that the first 8 weeks of 2014 for me. Now to plan how to stick with the right foods when visiting Disneyland Paris with the family in three weeks to celebrate the BIG 50 and then a 9 day trip to Holland to celebrate 30th wedding anniversary (both booked before the D diagnosis).

I spend every day trying to be positive (few wobbles and expletives at stressful times) as I’ve quickly realised that D is here to stay and MUST be managed properly. I want to say a big thank you to all you regulars here on this this forum , where I’ve sought recipes/advice/info regularly over the last 6 weeks as a guest. I’ve chuckled my way through some stories (andy 12345 and his ‘official warning’ being one in particular) and I like that the advice offered (to sometimes ‘woe is me’ posters) is straightforward and to the point – thanks pavlosn. Apologies for the very long first post but needed to get it all of my chest. I'm now in the DCUK club :)
UPDATE
Just had a call from a very surprised sounding DN.....
HbA1c at diagnosis Jan 14 = 106
Feb 14 = 79
End Apr 14 = 47!!!

Quote from nurse - whatever you've been doing keep it up. Thank you I replied.
What I wanted to say was I've ignored NHS advice. Bought a meter and am testing regularly. Am pleased that test result matches up with my average bs results from my iBG star meter.

Significantly reduced carbs. Very little pasta or rice as can spike my bs. Only Livlife bread (certainly not the white bread she said I could have as some people don't like wholemeal) and only a few new potatoes occasionally. Not missing carbs at all. Really enjoying eating food cooked from scratch.

Weight loss of 13kg since Jan 2nd. Only 5 more kg to go until within recommended range.

Only slight downside is total cholesterol up from 4.8 Jan to 5.8. Too much full fat Greek yogurt and cheese?! Nurse not concerned but would appreciate your thoughts.

Reactions: 4 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Brilliant results, I hope I can emulate something like that (just been reading your original post too!).

Maybe I've been reading too much (see sig below) but my feeling is that a total cholesterol in the 4s and 5s is exactly what we should have. Did you get a breakdown of that total? I get the receptionist to give me a copy of the full printout.

PS interesting about your contact lenses. I wore them for over 30 years (always gas permeable) but stopped about 3 years ago as they were starting to get uncomfortable and my prescription was changing. At this time I was probably somewhere in the prediabetic/non-diagnosed area. I wonder if there was a connection? I have my eyes tested annually but I'm still waiting for the post-diagnosis retinal appointment (must chase that up).

nannyg123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
whingers
Brilliant results, I hope I can emulate something like that (just been reading your original post too!).

Maybe I've been reading too much (see sig below) but my feeling is that a total cholesterol in the 4s and 5s is exactly what we should have. Did you get a breakdown of that total? I get the receptionist to give me a copy of the full printout.

PS interesting about your contact lenses. I wore them for over 30 years (always gas permeable) but stopped about 3 years ago as they were starting to get uncomfortable and my prescription was changing. At this time I was probably somewhere in the prediabetic/non-diagnosed area. I wonder if there was a connection? I have my eyes tested annually but I'm still waiting for the post-diagnosis retinal appointment (must chase that up).
Hi. I did ask about the breakdown but she said she'd only got the total result to hand. I'm sitting here now thinking about calling the surgery to ask if they'll print out my full results for me.

I've worn soft contact lenses since I was 18 and have had no problems at all with them until this year, but it appears sorted now. I don't find them quite as comfy, which is probably a good thing, as it makes me reduce wearing time to about 10hours each day (which is what optician recommended).

Good luck with your results. I'm really pleased that all my hard work with diet and exercise has paid off over the last 4 months and intend to keep it up. I've seen lots of diabetic complications first hand with my mum and have no intention of going there!

nannyg123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
whingers
UPDATE
Just had a call from a very surprised sounding DN.....
HbA1c at diagnosis Jan 14 = 106
Feb 14 = 79
End Apr 14 = 47!!!

Quote from nurse - whatever you've been doing keep it up. Thank you I replied.
What I wanted to say was I've ignored NHS advice. Bought a meter and am testing regularly. Am pleased that test result matches up with my average bs results from my iBG star meter.

Significantly reduced carbs. Very little pasta or rice as can spike my bs. Only Livlife bread (certainly not the white bread she said I could have as some people don't like wholemeal) and only a few new potatoes occasionally. Not missing carbs at all. Really enjoying eating food cooked from scratch.

Weight loss of 13kg since Jan 2nd. Only 5 more kg to go until within recommended range.

Only slight downside is total cholesterol up from 4.8 Jan to 5.8. Too much full fat Greek yogurt and cheese?! Nurse not concerned but would appreciate your thoughts.

Just an update really with most recent results.
HbA1c now 37 whoop whoop!! So pleased to be in the 30's club. Come a long way from that 106 in January.
Finally had a fasting cholesterol test too last week (nurse sounded a bit surprised when I suggested I may need this to get full results!). Dropped from 5.8 (end Apr) to 4.6. HDL 1.5. LDL 2.8 Trigs 0.56.
All credit to the support and advice gained on here - thanks all - along with LCHF and daily exercise (ps I'm also 4 stone lighter than I was this time last year and now in the healthily BMI range). Off to paint my nails now - no more food rewards for me

Reactions: 6 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Brilliant again, well done - inspirational!

angelicbaby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your inspirational story. I am after the same result myself. I honestly believe that the best thing I ever did after my diabetic diagnosis was find this forum. So many people that are successfully managing their condition and freely boost each other is a truly wonderful thing. I don't know if there is any other forum like it.

Reactions: 3 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
So pleased for you. Wonderful results. Got to say, especiallt the weight loss.

I watch pick tv with large people wanting to lose weight. The thing that pleases me most is when the personal trainer on every programme mentions "lower carb". My hubby ( non diabetic) has also lost 4stone and down to his ideal bmi now. I am so proud of him. (And me) as people have complimented me that its my food and cooking tbat has done it.

Really feels fantastic when you've got excellent results from your own strength and willpower, doesn't it?
Well done!!

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
Just seen this post and more than impressed, I was diagnosed mid May.
Your journey proves we can control T2, not sayings it always easy but it can be done.
The help and assistance on this forum is massive.
I have my next appointment with DN early Sep and am hoping I can emulate some of the
Changes seen on this forum.
But once again congrats, well done and keep us the good work.

Reactions: 4 people