Is this worrisome?

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
hi, my doctor at the hospital on the night of diagnosis said if a non diabetic were to sit and eat 5 doughnuts there bg wouldn't go over 11, no idea if this is true but , why not try eating 5 doughnuts and test what happens, even if it dosent answer your question at least you would have enjoyed the doughnuts, please eat the 5th in my name, best wishes
My observational evidence concurs with this. I recently over indulged in turkish delight (just don't ask but I passed the 2hr OGTT test with 200g) and I shot up to 10.5 and stayed there for 10 mins and then came down. Really wish I could control these occasional destructive bouts. They are worse when I can't exercise. The addictiveness of carbs!!!

@godeh if you have days without much carb and then days with this is going to give rise to larger spikes but your numbers show that your body is managing the carbs ok. I would suggest you try and maintain a consistent level of carb each day for a weeks and then have a day testing but I am with your nurse - your results look ok for a non-diabetic.

godeh

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My observational evidence concurs with this. I recently over indulged in turkish delight (just don't ask but I passed the 2hr OGTT test with 200g) and I shot up to 10.5 and stayed there for 10 mins and then came down. Really wish I could control these occasional destructive bouts. They are worse when I can't exercise. The addictiveness of carbs!!!

@godeh if you have days without much carb and then days with this is going to give rise to larger spikes but your numbers show that your body is managing the carbs ok. I would suggest you try and maintain a consistent level of carb each day for a weeks and then have a day testing but I am with your nurse - your results look ok for a non-diabetic.

Hi Andrew, thank you for your input - I'm actually a bit more relieved today as I kind of did my own type of test, i'm not sure if it's a great test but never the less went ahead with it:

I ordered a medium beef pizza and wedges, I checked my sugars before eating which came to 4.4, I ate 6-7 slices as well as half of the portion of wedges and my results are as follows:

7.8 - 30mins after food
8.7 - 1 hour after
7.4 - 2 hours after (the first time I tested was on my other hand which came to 8.7, I tested on other which gave me 7.4)
6.1 - 3 hours

I'm pretty sure that's a good sign!

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Seems ok - pizza is weird though as the cheese causes multiple peaks and delays so gives a complex picture.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Beware the pizza effect! The fat slows down the digestion so you spike much later, and for some reason pizzas can still affect your levels the following day. Google Pizza Effect.

Also, if you get 2 diverse readings like that, its best to take a 3rd to see if one or the other is confirmed. If not, average them.

godeh

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi,

Beware the pizza effect! The fat slows down the digestion so you spike much later, and for some reason pizzas can still affect your levels the following day. Google Pizza Effect.

Also, if you get 2 diverse readings like that, its best to take a 3rd to see if one or the other is confirmed. If not, average them.

I will test again before I sleep and I will try another test with muffins or cookies tomorrow. I will take a 3rd if 2 readings are far apart, thank you.

Reactions: 2 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
make sure you wash your hands well before taking the readings - I find this gives me consistent readings with a good size blood drop

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
yes pizza is the weirdest food of all on my bgs (or was)

Anie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry but my take on this is godeh wants to be diabetic!

If I had been told that my blood teat result was ok by my dr I would not be stressing or testing my blood. If I was overweight then I may try and change my eating habits, but I certainly wouldn't want to join the diabetic club if I was fine.

godeh

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

If I had been told that my blood teat result was ok by my dr I would not be stressing or testing my blood. If I was overweight then I may try and change my eating habits, but I certainly wouldn't want to join the diabetic club if I was fine.

Join a diabetic club??? :O

I would never want to be a diabetic, it's just that it's in my family and as of last few years I have been quite unhealthy. Some readings scared me so I spent a week looking into it and now I feel more comfortable that I'm fine but need to be healthy regardless.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors

yikes anie, didn't come across to me like that, having a diabetic dad and brother is reason enough to be worried and also be here

Anie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
yikes anie, didn't come across to me like that, having a diabetic dad and brother is reason enough to be worried and also be here
Ok, I take your point, but the same risks are there if you have asthma, eczema or hay fever in your family -you MAY be at higher risk, but you wouldn't want to 'stress' about something you might never get. There is nothing wrong in wanting to look after your health in general, but I feel testing when you have been told you don't have diabetes could make you anxious when there is no need to be. Anxiety MAY cause other health problems.

I apologise if I caused offence, but there is a lot of pro testing on here, which I totally agree with, but ONLY if you have been diagnosed as being diabetic by your GP. Self diagnosis is a dangerous thing and I think testing bg when you don't need to is pointless.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok, I take your point, but the same risks are there if you have asthma, eczema or hay fever in your family -you MAY be at higher risk, but you wouldn't want to 'stress' about something you might never get. There is nothing wrong in wanting to look after your health in general, but I feel testing when you have been told you don't have diabetes could make you anxious when there is no need to be. Anxiety MAY cause other health problems.

I apologise if I caused offence, but there is a lot of pro testing on here, which I totally agree with, but ONLY if you have been diagnosed as being diabetic by your GP. Self diagnosis is a dangerous thing and I think testing bg when you don't need to is pointless.

I can see both sides of this, my diabetes crept up on me over a number of months after my by pass, so since my OH had his heart attack he has on a weekly basis, at odd times tested himself, mind it is with the blessing of his cardio team and the gp, as he is apparently now more susceptible to diabetes

godeh

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

No offence taken at all, I get your point but from what I have read online is that the fasting glucose test might not be able to tell if someone is diabetic or pre-diabetic and that an impaired glucose tolerance test would be able to tell those a lot better. Here is where my issue comes in, with those results I also was told the my cholesterol is high and my trigs also - and after feeling quite uneasy after 2 meals during the weekend and felt it was sugar related and then seeing my result at 10.6, I wasn't exactly thinking like oh it's nothing to worry about. So I have been only testing my self for under a week now and I have stopped.

Also I have been diagnosed a few years ago with reactive hypoglycaemia, and this is how I know when I feel a certain way it's to do with my sugars. I believe my sugars will regulate a bit more now that I'm less anxious and also I've made some changes with my diet so all in all it was actually a good scare for me to get me in gear.