Hello!

1vivien

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I'm Vivien, 56 and new to this! I had pancreatic cancer in 2010 and had my whole pancreas removed, so woke up type 1! I work hard at control but with no production of glucagon it it difficult to control along with various problems following surgery. They mentioned that a pump might help but I find the thought very scary and difficult to understand. Any comments or help would be really appreciated.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Vivien, welcome to the mad house, as a t2 I can't help with the pump side of things, but I just wanted to welcome you and I'm sure someone will be along shortly with the info you need, meanwhile have a nose about you may find some useful info on some of the existing threads

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
well done getting through the cancer..........

a pump is really good but it takes work........

obviously your ability to bounce back from hypos has now gone too, are there any other metabolic/endochronological affects from having no pancreas, as it is responsible for a few things.....?

1vivien

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
well done getting through the cancer..........

a pump is really good but it takes work........

obviously your ability to bounce back from hypos has now gone too, are there any other metabolic/endochronological affects from having no pancreas, as it is responsible for a few things.....?
Thank you. Yes when I have hypos most of the time I then have extreme hypers so go from being really tired to feeling really sick, usually go to bed. The pancreas also produces enzymes that break down the fat in food, I now take capsules when I eat and I believe that it also helps with the absorption of vitamins and minerals from the food so it is hit & miss how much of the food I eat actually absorbs which does not help with the insulin quantity. Having said all of that I know I am very lucky but it is really difficult

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
do you have hypers due to you over treating the hypo..........?

I would look in to the pump, it will help, but as your situation with digestion and fat break down is different, your pump expert will need to be able to educate you properly and be able to adapt the treatment to suit your needs....

Jill the tt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
unkindness
sorry can't comment, but welcome there's lots of info and some great people here Jill

1vivien

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
do you have hypers due to you over treating the hypo..........?

I would look in to the pump, it will help, but as your situation with digestion and fat break down is different, your pump expert will need to be able to educate you properly and be able to adapt the treatment to suit your needs....
I saw the diabetic diatician this week and she asked how I treated hypos - same thoughts as you but agreed that what I was doing was right, it's just one of those things I think. I will look into the pump more she felt it would ve better controlled with one. Thank you for your thoughts

Reactions: 2 people

uncle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Vivien
Though you have been told your type 1 your are the same as me type 3c but with brittle diabetes (difficult to control) and there isn't many of us about.
Even though you don't have this can I recommend you sign up to the pancreatitis supporters forum, I know 2 ladies on there who have had there panc removed, one uses a pump and one tried but didn't like it, both are very very knowledgable about diet, insulin and pancreatic enzymes replacement , are you taking Creon?,
One of the ladies is 10 years post removal so lots of positive help
http://pancreatitis.org.uk/ discussion board, it is a separate entity

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Vivien. I hope you find the informatiin you need:)

1vivien

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Vivien
Though you have been told your type 1 your are the same as me type 3c but with brittle diabetes (difficult to control) and there isn't many of us about.
Even though you don't have this can I recommend you sign up to the pancreatitis supporters forum, I know 2 ladies on there who have had there panc removed, one uses a pump and one tried but didn't like it, both are very very knowledgable about diet, insulin and pancreatic enzymes replacement , are you taking Creon?,
One of the ladies is 10 years post removal so lots of positive help
http://pancreatitis.org.uk/ discussion board, it is a separate entity
Thank you very much for this I will definitely do this as I have been trying to talk to anyone with no pancreas which has been impossible so far so thank you. One doctor once did mention brittle but it has never been mentioned since. Yes I am taking Creon which again can be hit or miss! I hope you are doing ok how long have you had this?

uncle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you very much for this I will definitely do this as I have been trying to talk to anyone with no pancreas which has been impossible so far so thank you. One doctor once did mention brittle but it has never been mentioned since. Yes I am taking Creon which again can be hit or miss! I hope you are doing ok how long have you had this?

I have idiopathic pancreatitis and only have quarter of my pancreas left, first attack was 26th Dec 2011, followed by other health issues which I think are related but dr doesn't.
I knew that with damage to panc would make me diabetic and was very worried as it turns out it actually made me a whole lot better, have had diabetes for just over a year and look better than I have in the past 3
On the panc site some have diabetes some don't we say doesn't matter how you got there but we are all on a well walked path, see you on the other site

anniehi41

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Vivien,

I have also had my pancreas removed along with my gall bladder and duodenum. I had surgery in August 2012 to remove cysts, big shock when I woke after operation to be told that the whole of my pancreas had been taken out. I am 72 years old. I take Creon with everything I eat and have to avoid lots of foods because even with the Creon I can't digest them. Like you I have trouble controlling my blood sugars. I was injecting insulin by pen for 2 years and have been a pump since May. There are some brilliant things to be said about the pump, like being able to bolus so easily and being able to adjust your insulin in tiny increments, but as novorapidboi26 says it does take time and effort to get things like basal patterns correct, also Im finding the infusion sets a bit awkward lately because as you well know the operation leaves such a big scar there is not much tummy left to put the needle in and keep changing it around every two days, but your DSN will help you with that if you decide to go for a pump. I was very apprehensive about going on the pump when it was offered but Im glad I did, I feel as if I am more in control now and learning more each day. Read all you can about the pumps and get you DSN to call the representatives of the various pumps companies to make an appointment with you so that they can show you the pumps and explain how they work.

Pleased to know there is someone on the forum in similar circumstances to me. Take care.

Regards,
Annie.

Last edited by a moderator:

1vivien

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Vivien,

I have also had my pancreas removed along with my gall bladder and duodenum. I had surgery in August 2012 to remove cysts, big shock when I woke after operation to be told that the whole of my pancreas had been taken out. I am 72 years old. I take Creon with everything I eat and have to avoid lots of foods because even with the Creon I can't digest them. Like you I have trouble controlling my blood sugars. I was injecting insulin by pen for 2 years and have been a pump since May. There are some brilliant things to be said about the pump, like being able to bolus so easily and being able to adjust your insulin in tiny increments, but as novorapidboi26 says it does take time and effort to get things like basal patterns correct, also Im finding the infusion sets a bit awkward lately because as you well know the operation leaves such a big scar there is not much tummy left to put the needle in and keep changing it around every two days, but your DSN will help you with that if you decide to go for a pump. I was very apprehensive about going on the pump when it was offered but Im glad I did, I feel as if I am more in control now and learning more each day. Read all you can about the pumps and get you DSN to call the representatives of the various pumps companies to make an appointment with you so that they can show you the pumps and explain how they work.

Pleased to know there is someone on the forum in similar circumstances to me. Take care.

Regards,
Annie.

Hi Annie, poor you what a shock, you have done and sound like you are doing well. Like you I also had both my duodenum and gall bladder removed and as they say were re plumbed. I also had my spleen removed many years ago due to another cancer but was doing really well until the pancreatic cancer. It is really good (though not for you!) to speak to someone else in the same situation. I'm sure you find Creon hit and miss as well which does not help us with the insulin. Thank you for your thoughts on the pump I will look into it more, it is not definite that I will be offered it but they are looking into it as well, I don't think they have anyone else in this situation but they are helpfully and working with me to try to improve things. I will look into it more what scares me is having something attached to me but I guess you get used to it. I have the same problem with the scar and it is all quite numb still. Apparently I am very sensitive to insulin which is why they also think I pump will help. It is so good to hear of someone that understands the 'problems' we are going through.

Take care of yourself and well done you. Regards Vivien