Pregnancy and work

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I'm not pregnant yet but I've been wondering from what I see on the forums about all the appointments you have to go to and hypo-ing more than usual, does it have an effect on your work/job? Needing time off etc?

I understand your allowed time to attend scans from a colleague who has recently had a baby but was not diabetic so just the usual couple of scans, but from the amount of appointments I would have to attend (more than someone without D) would I have to use holidays/sick days?

I know I'm thinking far in advance but I like to know these things lol xx

Reactions: 2 people

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I wouldn't have a clue but I would take a good guess that if you were not allowed the same as a non diabetic individual this would be classed as discrimination.......

I don't think there are significantly more appointments anyway, more yeah, but not a lot...........

someone should be along with some personal experience shortly.........:)

kirstfinley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As far as im aware your work has to allow you to any appointments you need as we have an 'ongoing condition' they cant stop you from doing anything you need to whether you diabetic and pregnant or not xxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi I worked when pregnant and type 1 at a Car dealership and any hospital appointments I had, sometimes the car drivers would give me a lift. They were very understanding and always helpful, although my boss ( the sales boss I do use these words loosely lol) would sometimes make silly comments about me taking time off Reception duties and not to take too long, :rolleyes: and yes, he was a crass individual at times, but it just went over my head and then I didn't actually rush back ;) You are entitled to go to hospital and maternity appointments.

samtov

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had to go to doctors every 2 weeks towards the end of my pregnancy and work was fine about it, but I did explain this to my boss when I informed her I was pregnant. As for the hypos. I panicked my boss on many occasions as she thought they were a lot worse then they actually were, she used to panic when I went to another floor of the building for a long time. This I found annoying as I knew when my hypos were happening. They did come on really quickly though and sometimes there was no pattern to them. X

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @samtov I've read that you can lose hypo awareness which scares me a little as I work in a shop and work alone quite often, I know it's pointless worrying about something that's not even happened yet but I just wanna be prepared :) xx

jenny.84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi , i think everyone is different what might happen to some wont happen to others the same with normal pergnant women, i found i had few highs before i even knew i was pregnant, then from 8 weeks i had constant vomiting and low blood sugars hypos till i was 20 weeks, i had infections hospital stays all sorts, so i was unable to work, i had diabetic anti naral appointments every 3 weeks and from 20 weeks i have to have growth scans every 4 weeks, im 29 weeks now and im about to start having appointments every 2 weeks, but i know other diabetic women whos pregnancys have been plain sailing and not needed as much input and have been able to work. Dont worry about it as this is not good for u eithr what will be will be and just try enjoy it xx

AJack123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think you should be ok although every employer is different I had to attend a clinic every week at the hospital and they were fine with it they can't really tell you no when your pregnant x

manicarrie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi reading this a couple of weeks later, but, I have had to lose a lot of time from work too, though for a different reason. I googled working families, as spoke to them regarding my rights (mine was due to taking time off for my son who is special needs, for his many appointments, plus childcare when my mum was too ill to care for him) they are great and gave really good advice x