Scared, please help

StephenSmithG

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi all,

I am a 24 year old male, 6 feet tall and about a 150 pounds. I am not overweight by an means. I dont have any family history of diabetes. Over the past few months I haven't been eatingwell due to a break up that left me emotionally drained. I havent been exercising much either. Due to another issue my doctor recently ordered a myriad of blood tests on me to check for any possible issues. One of the tests included a Fasting blood glucose test. (also had a CBC and a lipid profile, all which came back 100% normal according to my doctor.

My Fasting blood glucose level came back at 5.3 mmol/dl or 95 mg/dl. Now my doctor told me this value is completely normal and not to worry. However after looking on the internet I found info that says anything in the 90 range is considered "at risk" for developing diabates.
I also recall the night before i took the test I woke up atabout 3 am and chugged back a fair amount of fruit juice. I took the test at 11am the following day. Would this have an effect on my test?

If anyone could pleasehelp put my mind at ease I would appreciate any insight.
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Hello and welcome,you will get lots of advice here.
Fasting means only water for 12 hours before the test,Im not quallified to tell you what the effect of sweet orange juce will do.
Someone will answer you.

Reactions: 2 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Stephen. Im sure someone will help with your question

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Where did you get your figures from?
The ADA (American Diabetes Association) and the WHO (World Health Organisation) have slightly different figures for impaired fasting glucose but they are not as low as 5.3mmol
WHO criteria: fasting plasma glucose level from 6.1 mmol/l (110 mg/dL) to 6.9 mmol/l (125 mg/dL).[3][4][5]
ADA criteria: fasting plasma glucose level from 5.6 mmol/L (100 mg/dL) to 6.9 mmol/L (125 mg/dL). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impaired_fasting_glucose
Not sure that the orange juice eleven hours before the test would have had much of an effect but a restless, stressed night might well have done. That's why if someone does have a positive result it should be confirmed by a second lab test.

Iisten to your doctor,

Reactions: 2 people