What foods do u miss

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What about those mcdonalds caramel sundaies with extra extra caramel sauce? :)
You got it right @Lesleywo Maccas sundae yummmm! And apple pie double cheeseburger and coke, chips cherry ripe, donuts, fairy bread, mint slice, caramel custard, choc top, twisties, freddo, caramello koalas, violet crumble, rocky road, snakes, shapes, cordial, KFC fried chicken, Max brenner chocolate, waffles, sweet crepes with blueberries and cream

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't miss anything in particular, but as a T2 what I do miss is the freedom of not having to really think about what I should eat when I'm out with the family.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We've started thinking about a major holiday (one of the trip-of-a-lifetime ones). If we do it, it will involve DAYS of train travel, without stopovers (no, unfortunately not the Orient express).

The food logistics are going to be interesting. It'll be the first time in 15 + years that I have had so little prolonged control over my food choices.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You got it right @Lesleywo Maccas sundae yummmm! And apple pie double cheeseburger and coke, chips cherry ripe, donuts, fairy bread, mint slice, caramel custard, choc top, twisties, freddo, caramello koalas, violet crumble, rocky road, snakes, shapes, cordial, KFC fried chicken, Max brenner chocolate, waffles, sweet crepes with blueberries and cream

In one sitting? Respc' (as the young, cool, down with the kids folks say) ;););)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We've started thinking about a major holiday (one of the trip-of-a-lifetime ones). If we do it, it will involve DAYS of train travel, without stopovers (no, unfortunately not the Orient express).

The food logistics are going to be interesting. It'll be the first time in 15 + years that I have had so little prolonged control over my food choices.

Just do it, and deal with it. Not one single one of us knows when it will be too late to do those once-in-a-lifetime, or when I retire/have more time/feel more relaxed things. :)

Reactions: 3 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

That may be difficult for you but I suppose you will be able to choose from menus.
This happens to me when I do long distance walks, because I'm going to use it up, it doesn't so much matter if I get given crepes and jam for breakfast and baguettes for lunch (not part of my normal diet!) On a train though you aren't as active.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Exercise for me can be a couple of minutes up and down the stairs, (I just had a large ice cream actually, reading your previous post- sorry, before a bit of exercise, and I'm 6.7 after an hour or so), so I tend to just eat the healthiest option (for me) and not stress about my BS, as even walking up and down the train would keep it down a bit.

K

Kat100

My diet hasn't changed a great deal and the can eat most things I ate before as part of a meal . Somettmes ,it means small portions or having to go for a long walk/ride/run first ( there are a few exceptions which I don't think are worth attempting Things like Christmas cake/pudding/mince pies are amongst them and I don't eat many things like biscuits which people would normally eat between meals)
What I do miss is spontaneity.
Recently, on a lovely sunny afternoon at a local tourist trap with both my children and all my grandchildren, everyone of them from my OH to the smallest grandchild had a great big cone. I wouldn't have thought about eating it if they hadn't had one .Pump or not it was too close to lunch and I hadn't really been active so I didn't feel I could have one, I put on a big smile . This time though it didn't last, I couldn't stop the tears in my eyes and had to walk away, I thought I'd got over that.
So sorry to hear you were upset ....the emotions of putting on a brave face , very tough .....and very brave ....Kat x

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone.

You are right, I wouldn't let it stop me going. Life is just too short!

I think I made my post because I had just realised how automatically, even naturally I have come to control my food. Barely even aware of it, most of the time.

Carvery? Sure. No spuds or Yorkshire, fill up on cauli
Brekkie out? Sure. Full English please. Who wants my toast?
Evening meal? Steak, rare. With salad. And mayo. Yum.

But that is always one meal at a time.
Days of it? Choosing between 2 or 3 options, repeating over the days... Wow. An interesting challenge.

My only real concern would be 'carb creep'. Eating a little, then a little more, then more... Then, good gracious, how did that happen? BG in the high teens and feeling dreadful.

But of course, I know better than to let that happen, don't i? ;)

And as Dougie says, I can always trundle the train corridors...

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone.

You are right, I wouldn't let it stop me going. Life is just too short!

I think I made my post because I had just realised how automatically, even naturally I have come to control my food. Barely even aware of it, most of the time.

Carvery? Sure. No spuds or Yorkshire, fill up on cauli
Brekkie out? Sure. Full English please. Who wants my toast?
Evening meal? Steak, rare. With salad. And mayo. Yum.

But that is always one meal at a time.
Days of it? Choosing between 2 or 3 options, repeating over the days... Wow. An interesting challenge.

My only real concern would be 'carb creep'. Eating a little, then a little more, then more... Then, good gracious, how did that happen? BG in the high teens and feeling dreadful.

But of course, I know better than to let that happen, don't i? ;)

And as Dougie says, I can always trundle the train corridors...

How many days are we talking about here? Is this in civilisation, or somewhere more third world?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How many days are we talking about here? Is this in civilisation, or somewhere more third world?

Well, it is all very speculative, at this point. :happy:
And probably wouldn't happen for 2 years at least. :)

But it would be travelling 1000s of miles of the US railway system. NY to New Orleans, then across to San Francisco and up to Portland. Probably approx 10 days on train, with sleeper, and 2 or 3 stop overs for a day or so.

The train menus are available on the Amtrak website, and they are perfectly doable, providing I were to eat from a small section of the menu.

What a way to see a continent, eh? They have huge viewing carriages with vast windows on the top tier of a 2 story train.

When in Texas a few years ago we did the 4 or 5 hour stretch between Dallas and Austin. It was stunning. Proper Western landscape, tumbleweed, cacti, long horn cattle and only occasional stretches of barbed wire. It made me 'get' America in a way I could never have imagined.

I'd love to do the same for Russia and India, but think they would be more of a challenge!

Sorry folks, I feel I have derailed (pun) yet another thread. Especially in view of the fact that this whole trip is still at the pre-pre-pre-planning stage!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Moi?

I have had a longer term promise to myself to have a chocolate eclair, but never quite get around to it. On the one ocassion I actually went to buy on, on Guadeloupe, at the most incredible patisserie, they had sold out and only have choux buns left. I was so annoyed!! It wasn't the choux bun, versus chocolate eclair that stopped me, it was the fact that the choux was sweetened, and filled with creme patissiere, which I've never liked, never mind as a compromise.

Recently I have also been wanting something crispy. I'm not going to have crisps, because I rather think I like those too much, but I am going to do some pakora tomorrow, with an indian stylee meal.

Otherwise, nothing too much really.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Foods I miss well nothing realy as If I fancy something I eat a little of it that way it keeps my appetite happy:spitoutdummy:

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, it is all very speculative, at this point. :happy:
And probably wouldn't happen for 2 years at least. :)

But it would be travelling 1000s of miles of the US railway system. NY to New Orleans, then across to San Francisco and up to Portland. Probably approx 10 days on train, with sleeper, and 2 or 3 stop overs for a day or so.

The train menus are available on the Amtrak website, and they are perfectly doable, providing I were to eat from a small section of the menu.

What a way to see a continent, eh? They have huge viewing carriages with vast windows on the top tier of a 2 story train.

When in Texas a few years ago we did the 4 or 5 hour stretch between Dallas and Austin. It was stunning. Proper Western landscape, tumbleweed, cacti, long horn cattle and only occasional stretches of barbed wire. It made me 'get' America in a way I could never have imagined.

I'd love to do the same for Russia and India, but think they would be more of a challenge!

Sorry folks, I feel I have derailed (pun) yet another thread. Especially in view of the fact that this whole trip is still at the pre-pre-pre-planning stage!

I'm derailing the thread unintentionally, but your talk of a Texas train made me think of a longish BUS ride in Argentina! A bit wild really. ( I'm not at all sure about trains in Argentina! ) However, in this double level bus/coach, each of the seats was big and comfortable and reclinable, everybody boarded at Buenos Aires and was there for the duration of the trip and each passenger was given a packed lunch as part of the price! A cheese sandwich, a biscuit and a drink. Big windows, wide views, and crazy speed. You had a brilliant view of the occupants of all the cars and vans on the road, and the thing I remember was that nearly all of them, even the drivers, were passing round yerba mate and drinking it through a shared bombilla or metal straw! It was a great way to see a great country. Flight from London to Buenos Aires, on the tarmac at Sao Paulo for ages while the plane was cleaned around us, I tried to think about my blood sugar levels and not let standards of control slip too much, but, well, you know .... ! It's worth it.

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
I don't miss anything in particular, but as a T2 what I do miss is the freedom of not having to really think about what I should eat when I'm out with the family.

...my thoughts exactly! I eat out quite a bit because of family visits, soo annoying to have to pick and choose,would be good to say 'yes I think I'll have that' without thinking about it!