My Atkins Life

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks adelle. I quite like an MRI scan - it's time to meditate! Can't wait for results so I can have a plan regarding pain management. It's been really bad for six months now and it's depressing at times but i try to get on with life regardless. It's frustrating as my girls don't understand and the thought of another back op terrifies me - not the actual op but the aftermath and having to look after all of us on my own. I don't see how I'll manage really but not thinking about it til I have to.

Good luck with your scan too! Xxx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.
Deb, must be tough what you're going through at the moment especially when you think about the consequences of another op and the downtime....must be hard to live with the constant back pain and taking care of the girls at the same time. I understand where you're coming from if you're feeling depressed at times about your condition, but I hope you can stay strong....hugs for you deb xx (virtual hug)

Xox adelle

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks adelle. I wish I could wallow but I don't get the chance!! It's a good thing I suppose...

Part of my survival technique is to cover worst case scenarios that will probably not happen but it means I feel prepared to deal with it if it does if that makes sense. Anyway - I suppose that's the good thing about nhs waiting times - I'll have enough notice to plan ahead if I need to!

I do sometimes feel like my disc is a ticking time bomb that'll pop any second. It would be nice to be able to forget about doing more damage on a whim for a couple of days but I can't see that happening anytime soon.

Xxxx

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Well I think you should both focus on the positives! Weight loss is fab! Keep going!

Reactions: 2 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I've spent all day clearing out and cleaning the so called conservatory to make my life more zen! I can't believe how much stuff I had in there that I'd forgotten about!

Been at it all day and not too much to show for it other than a car full for charity shop drop later.

Don't think it did my back any favours but my mind feels cleaner.

I've also been good with food although I'd be lying if I wasn't slightly annoyed I couldn't grab something quickly!

Have a cake order to make tomorrow for a bouquet. I must not eat any. I must not eat any. I must not eat any....

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Well I've spent all day clearing out and cleaning the so called conservatory to make my life more zen! I can't believe how much stuff I had in there that I'd forgotten about!

Been at it all day and not too much to show for it other than a car full for charity shop drop later.

Don't think it did my back any favours but my mind feels cleaner.

I've also been good with food although I'd be lying if I wasn't slightly annoyed I couldn't grab something quickly!

Have a cake order to make tomorrow for a bouquet. I must not eat any. I must not eat any. I must not eat any....

Make choc mug cake! I just made this for my mum and step dad! Went down a storm!
Sleep well! Scandixxx

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I so will!!! Xxx

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Day two of being good and I'm back in ketosis! Pleasantly surprised so that's it now. Staying on the band wagon and totally in control but I am lacking food inspiration. Had one of my frozen fish pies tonight - so glad I had a stash!

Reactions: 4 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I'm back from hiding from the big bad world. I've had a major wobble and just could not get back on the wagon. I feel utterly ashamed of myself for running away but I guess I couldn't face up to how ive sabotaged everything I worked so hard for.

Life's really taken over and the result was me having my eye taken off the ball because of outside influences. I'm not usually one to be melancholy but I think that's what I was during these last few weeks.

School holidays, a psychotic ex husband who revels in my suffering, no money, no motivation and it was just overwhelming. I can't seem to cry which is a shame as it would provide the release I desperately need.

It's also time to re-enter the world of work after being a stay at home mum for five years. It's daunting and I'm petrified I won't be good enough. This is all unknown territory for me as I've always been confident professionally and before my girls came along, I had a blossoming career in marketing. Now I feel I'm not good enough for anything.

And then there's my back/leg problem. It's getting worse but I finally have a doctors appointment for Monday and I'm hoping they've managed to find my MRI scan results from July. I'm now in my eighth month of excruciating pain and it's time to admit defeat. I just can't carry on like this but I feel like I don't have options.

A friend of mine runs a nutrition and fitness company and has offered to show me her ways in return for marketing advice. All good. But for some reason I just don't think I can do it so will put her off. I like Atkins and it took a while to get into it but I know what I'm doing now so it seems silly to add more hassle and pressure to my life right now. I feel like I'll be letting her down if I refuse the kind offer but the timing is off and I won't be successful.

So I took my bg this morning - the first time in over a month and was truly horrified - 8.2 so we'll into diabetic range after I had managed to lower it to the 5s :( I've done this to myself and feel stupid about it. I hopped on the scales and have gained 5kg. I suspect a lot will be water retention cussed by carb overload but it was not nice seeing that number that can't be denied.

So here I am, starting over, no more excuses, no more tomorrows. The time is now.

Sorry to post my life story but I feel like I need to see it in black and white so it can't be denied....

Xxx

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck Deb. Sometimes it is te accumuation of problems tat overwhelms us. :)

Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hey Deb! Great to see you back on this special day...the day you get back on track :) You have proved you know what to do to achieve good bg and lose weight, so that's half the battle. Onwards and downwards!

Even if you don't take your friend up on her offer of nutritional advice, you could still help with her marketing (if time allows). It would be a good cv filler to show you are back in the game plus it might help give you back some confidence.

Don't be a stranger x

Reactions: 5 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Big hugs Deb, good to see you back and sorry to hear of your recent trials and tribulations. But the good thing is you've come back here!

Reactions: 3 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good to see you back even if in less than ideal circumstances. You've bitten the bullet and got back onto it which is main thing. At the risk of stating the obvious and coming across as preachy, a lot of the things you write about can't be changed so easily by you but you can change your weight and BS levels. Even when it seems too much of an effort or not worth it, controlling them is doing wonders for your long term health and well being. The return to world of work is scary, but losing weight would surely boost your confidence and make it less daunting.
Please keep posting as it is that that keeps is motivated, I think. No one needs to struggle alone with this. Xx

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I'm back from hiding from the big bad world. I've had a major wobble and just could not get back on the wagon. I feel utterly ashamed of myself for running away but I guess I couldn't face up to how ive sabotaged everything I worked so hard for.

Life's really taken over and the result was me having my eye taken off the ball because of outside influences. I'm not usually one to be melancholy but I think that's what I was during these last few weeks.

School holidays, a psychotic ex husband who revels in my suffering, no money, no motivation and it was just overwhelming. I can't seem to cry which is a shame as it would provide the release I desperately need.

It's also time to re-enter the world of work after being a stay at home mum for five years. It's daunting and I'm petrified I won't be good enough. This is all unknown territory for me as I've always been confident professionally and before my girls came along, I had a blossoming career in marketing. Now I feel I'm not good enough for anything.

And then there's my back/leg problem. It's getting worse but I finally have a doctors appointment for Monday and I'm hoping they've managed to find my MRI scan results from July. I'm now in my eighth month of excruciating pain and it's time to admit defeat. I just can't carry on like this but I feel like I don't have options.

A friend of mine runs a nutrition and fitness company and has offered to show me her ways in return for marketing advice. All good. But for some reason I just don't think I can do it so will put her off. I like Atkins and it took a while to get into it but I know what I'm doing now so it seems silly to add more hassle and pressure to my life right now. I feel like I'll be letting her down if I refuse the kind offer but the timing is off and I won't be successful.

So I took my bg this morning - the first time in over a month and was truly horrified - 8.2 so we'll into diabetic range after I had managed to lower it to the 5s :( I've done this to myself and feel stupid about it. I hopped on the scales and have gained 5kg. I suspect a lot will be water retention cussed by carb overload but it was not nice seeing that number that can't be denied.

So here I am, starting over, no more excuses, no more tomorrows. The time is now.

Sorry to post my life story but I feel like I need to see it in black and white so it can't be denied....

Xxx

Good to see you back Deb. A number of us had been wondering where you had meandered off to. It's a shame it wasn't a more positive meander, but life has a way of dealing those hard blows when we can least cope.. But, you're here now, and you have form for achieving, so you know you can do it again.

I'd echo @Avocado Sevenfold 's thoughts on your friend's offer. Perhaps you could bank her services, but still spend some time with her? I would bet it would do your confidence a lot of geed to exercise your professional expertise, and have your self-belief boosted. Once we have one area of decent self-belief it makes other areas a bit easier to address, and you never know, you might also just get some great support along the way from her too.

How are the bags coming along? A few weeks ago, on a flight, I saw a lady with a bag of the same style and look of your range. The bag was signed, but I couldn't make it out. Maybe you're reaching international acclaim, without realising it?

On a quick final note, the positive aspect of your bloods running a bit higher than you would like, is it demonstrates the complete sense in getting back on the horse. You'll achieve what you need to.

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Debmcgee, so sorry to hear about all your trials but hopefully you'll get the support from us here to help you get back on track one step at a time :) xxxx

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow thanks guys. Your kind words brought tears to my eyes. Wish I'd fessed up sooner now.

I'll still help my friend with her venture - I'm just not ready to learn a new diet etc right now when Atkins was working ok for me.

Lol at the bag spotting! Mine are branded on the inside so it wasn't one of mine but I did get an order for someone in japan so you never know ;) it's been quite quiet but that's due to having the girls with me 24-7 and no space to breathe. It really is claustrophobic right now and I feel like a butterfly in a jam jar but it's coming to an end....

I will keep posting from now on and get back into it. It is life or death - if I can't cope now - what'll it be like with even more health problems? Time is now. No more excuses.

Love you all and thank you

Deb x

Reactions: 6 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey, welcome back!

Good news about flexing your marketing muscles with your friend. A good way to dip your toe again.

I lack confidence when faced with a major challenge. They always seem overwhelming. But when the hurdles crop up one at a time, they are so much more manageable.

Mind you, they only look that way in retrospect! ;)

Just focus on one thing at a time (even if you have to focus on a different thing every hour!).
Tunnel vision definitely has its uses. :)

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did it! A whole day of Atkins without straying!

Of course, the day's not over yet but I think I may have gotten back on track.....

Reactions: 10 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The body remembers. Every time you get back on track with low carb, the easier it gets.
Awesome, eh?

Good for you!