Doing ok so far

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant and ignorant people.
Have managed to tailor my diet things like pork pies and fish and chips and Macdonalds greasy brekkies have all gone out the window.Replaced pork pies with cooked meat sarnies.Milk has been changed to Skimmed and OJ has been changed to a type of low sugar squash and i like it.Just bought a slow cooker so time to get cooking some meat dishes and casseroles etc.More goodness for me.I think the diabetic nurse will be pleased with the changes ive made.Also steering clear of fried food unless the cafe can prove its done in sunflower oil or olive oil.Much prefer such as egg on toast.Still eating a bowl of All bran each morning though the wife has bought me a small bowl so dont need to weigh it out only holds about 2 large handfuls thats enuff for anybody.Eating plenty fruit well in moderation Victoria plums are in season at the moment.Once they drop out of season ill prob go back to Banana every day and maybe other types of plum or even grapes.Perhaps an Apple a day.Dropped down to 90kg so thats a start.Gunna start an exercise regime this next week do some exercises sit ups press ups etc.

Reactions: 3 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Good to see you have made some changes to your diet but are you serious about going back to the banana as it's one of the worst fruits for us

Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Well done for taking some action John!

There are still some foods in there that won't do your blood sugars many favours - bread, fruit, cereal for instance.

I would recommend that you do test (despite what you've been told) otherwise how will you ever know what impacts your meals have and what to modify? Your next HbA1c will only give an average and no real indication of what's behind it.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

You will be unable to tell if the changes to your diet will be of any benefit to your diabetes unless you test your blood glucose levels.

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yeah ill prob have to do a test and just see how its all going.Bread is in moderation anyways.Fruit well i dont eat a lot of it in one setting probably a couple of plums each day.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with the others. It's best to test then you know which foods are bad for your BG's and which are OK. There might be some surprises, both good and bad ones. If you test you know what you can eat, which to me is more important than what you can't. You might find for instance that whole milk is better for your BG's than skimmed.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Yeah ill prob have to do a test and just see how its all going.

Best to get yourself a meter such as SD Codefree from Amazon, Ebay etc - strips are about the best value. Test immediately before eating and 2 hours afterwards, maybe at 1 hour as well initially, until you get a feel for your BG's responses.

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Really the NHS should supply a meter free of charge.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes