Not open for further replies.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Personally, but only spraking as a type 1... Larger swings in your levels after meals can be detrimental if swaying too much. I personally try to minimise the swings and stay between 5 and 7 at all times.

However, I am a type 1. Saying that, I have not got any complications.. And background retinopathy disappeared when I minimalised the swings in my levels..

IncyWincy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch before football: Full fat Greek yoghurt with chopped mixed nuts, half a doughnut peach, strawberries and blueberries. Followed by scrambled eggs with bacon, buttered mushrooms and a grilled tomato.

Naughty: Chocolate muffin from Friends coffee shop outside the Boleyn

Dinner: Salmon arrabbiata sauce with wholemeal pasta, a few white breadsticks and two glasses of white wine (consolation after West Ham lost). :arghh:

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast poached egg, mushrooms, tomato, turkey bacon
Lunch 1 oz cheese, 1/4 of a nectarine, 1/2 slice ham
Dinner pinched few cold chips from junior ( 5.2 at 2hrs) then had cheese omelette and sliced ham
Snack 4 sq 85% chocolate

Last edited by a moderator:

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
2 livlife with marmite

Late lunch of 2 x burgers with cheese in lettuce leaf, few pork scratchings

Dinner Som Tam
Nut ball

HA3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bf. Branflakes with ss milk.
lunch. 2 egg, 2 bacon, 1 iceland square sausage.
dinner. Curried veg, livlifes cauli bhaji, iceland tandoori mini chicken fillets.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I finally defrosted that pork shoulder, and it is in the slow cooker overnight, using @AndBreathe 's Spice Men's pulled pork recipe.

I cut the skin off first and made crackling with it.

Dusted with salt, baked at 180 degrees for about 90 mins on each side.

Delish.

Anyone know how I can keep it for another day?
Even I am unable to eat 10 x10 inches of crackling in one go!

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not sure I'm doing this right so any advice on the amounts ect appreciated

breakfast )2 crispbakes 7.5 carbs each with a handful of prawns with teaspoon of full mayonnaise on each .

Lunch) home made veggie soup and six cocktail sausages as snacks throughout the day.

Dinner )1/4 white cabbage with spoon of cream and grated parmasan with one and a half sausages .(Family were having sausage and mash)

2 pieces of 70% dark chocolate because I craved something sweet.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not sure I'm doing this right so any advice on the amounts ect appreciated

breakfast )2 crispbakes 7.5 carbs each with a handful of prawns with teaspoon of full mayonnaise on each .

Lunch) home made veggie soup and six cocktail sausages as snacks throughout the day.

Dinner )1/4 white cabbage with spoon of cream and grated parmasan with one and a half sausages .(Family were having sausage and mash)

2 pieces of 70% dark chocolate because I craved something sweet.

If it was me, I'd not be having stuff so high in carbs. I only have 20-30g carbs total a day which come from veg mainly. I tried having more but 30g is where my bg seems to improve.

Do you test after eating? I wouldn't be able to handle the crisp read but I'm super carb sensitive these days so you may be ok.

Do you add up total carbs in day? If not, do. I think that's more important than actual portion but portion control is important too.

Hope this helps

X

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
If it was me, I'd not be having stuff so high in carbs. I only have 20-30g carbs total a day which come from veg mainly. I tried having more but 30g is where my bg seems to improve.

Do you test after eating? I wouldn't be able to handle the crisp read but I'm super carb sensitive these days so you may be ok.

Do you add up total carbs in day? If not, do. I think that's more important than actual portion but portion control is important too.

Hope this helps

X
Whats high in carbs on that list Deb ??? I thought those foods were low carb other than the crispbakes and thats only 15grams :confused:

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Veg soup will be higher carbs than you think and if sausages aren't 97% meat! they'll also have a fair amount of filler in which is carb.

I basically stick to meat and fats and veg, sometimes berries. It works for me.

X

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Veg soup will be higher carbs than you think and if sausages aren't 97% meat! they'll also have a fair amount of filler in which is carb.

I basically stick to meat and fats and veg, sometimes berries. It works for me.

X

But the veg soup is just the same as eating veg isn't it .I'm trying to stick to meat,veg and fats too .I only added 500ml of veg stock to the soup and that was 2grms carb ,the rest were onion,celery,garlic,greens and a carrot .Can't see that it's so different than eating veg on a plate and it makes enough for three days, am I wrong in thinking that ?

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you ever weighed and calculated all the carbs in the soup you make and divide it by number of portions? Carrots are very high carb for veg as are most root veg. My homemade veg soup has about 17g carbs in a portion so is too high for me, yet I thought it was ok. Testing and measuring carbs is how I discovered it was no good for me.

You have to research and change your thinking towards 'healthy' foods. When you're diabetic, ANY carb will increase glycogen in your system which will require insulin to stabilise it.

Of course you can carry on eating carbs, that's your choice but based on my experience, they are the most influencing factor on my health.

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you ever weighed and calculated all the carbs in the soup you make and divide it by number of portions? Carrots are very high carb for veg as are most root veg. My homemade veg soup has about 17g carbs in a portion so is too high for me, yet I thought it was ok. Testing and measuring carbs is how I discovered it was no good for me.

You have to research and change your thinking towards 'healthy' foods. When you're diabetic, ANY carb will increase glycogen in your system which will require insulin to stabilise it.

Of course you can carry on eating carbs, that's your choice but based on my experience, they are the most influencing factor on my health.

I'm aiming for 75 carbs a day at the moment but now i just feel depressed .Back to the books i suppose .

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Didn't mean to depress you - was just trying to share my experience.

Follow your blood readings and eat accordingly.

It's a lot to learn and is overwhelming but you'll get there. Xxxx

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Susiespearish

We all have individual reactions to food - it is what makes it tricky until we work out where our personal pitfalls lie...

As first look, your menu looks ok. But there are a few grey areas in it...

Re the veg, I would be fine with that soup, although my BG spikes ridiculously high with cooked carrots. I'm fine with raw ones. Go figure!

I think I'd probably be ok with one crisp bake, so long as it was smothered in mayo ;).so I would probably go with a tablespoon rather than a teasp...

But I have to ask, what kind of sausages were they?
The wheat/rusk/carb content of sausages can be scary-high. As much as 80% in some brands. Cocktail sausages can be very carby.

There are a few brands that are excellent, Harrowgate 97% meat ones are brill. Aldis do a high meat line too, but I don't know the name of it. My local butchers sausages are about 90% meat, and I do ok on those.
Mattersons smoked sausages, some hotdogs and a lot of the European sausage type things are fab (for me).

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :(

There is also the possibility that your liver has been used to high BG levels for so long, that when your BG drops due to the low carbing, it releases glucose into the blood to stop you going 'too low'. That will slowly stop happening, as the liver adjusts to your new way of eating. Which is good. It also means that the large stock of glucose that your liver has been storing, is being depleted. * massive thumb up!*

One more thing... Are you eating enough? I'd be chewing furniture on the number of calories in your day's menu. I appreciate that most people who start low carbing have weight loss as a priority, but it really is important that this is sustainable, and the tortoise always beats the hare in the longterm, if you know what I mean...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm aiming for 75 carbs a day at the moment but now i just feel depressed .Back to the books i suppose .

Again, we are all sooooo different!

I am physically most comfortable on around 40 g carbs or less a day. But I probably go up to 70g a couple of times a week, and consider 100g the point where the carb cravings get serious.

You'll gradually learn by trial and error what suits you best. And it really can be good food.

There are so many yummy treats available, it just takes a mind-shift to stop focussing on what you can't eat, to focus on what you can.

Do you like cream?
A few berries with a blob of double cream is an addiction of mine.
Likewise, coffee. Cream in coffee is my idea of heaven
Cheese?
Small cheese snacks are a delight. Smoked, blue, cheddar... My mouth is watering at the thought.

Bacon?
M&S do cold strips of crisp cooked bacon. A couple of those crunched up are lovely.

Want low cal? Try green smoothies (see link in my sig), they are incredibly good for you, filling, and put my BG up by about 1.5 for a 400ml glass.

All of these can be really satisfying high points to your day.

Have you found the myfitnesspal website? It's excellent for both carb and cal counting.

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Susiespearish

We all have individual reactions to food - it is what makes it tricky until we work out where our personal pitfalls lie...

As first look, your menu looks ok. But there are a few grey areas in it...

Re the veg, I would be fine with that soup, although my BG spikes ridiculously high with cooked carrots. I'm fine with raw ones. Go figure!

I think I'd probably be ok with one crisp bake, so long as it was smothered in mayo ;).so I would probably go with a tablespoon rather than a teasp...

But I have to ask, what kind of sausages were they?
The wheat/rusk/carb content of sausages can be scary-high. As much as 80% in some brands. Cocktail sausages can be very carby.

There are a few brands that are excellent, Harrowgate 97% meat ones are brill. Aldis do a high meat line too, but I don't know the name of it. My local butchers sausages are about 90% meat, and I do ok on those.
Mattersons smoked sausages, some hotdogs and a lot of the European sausage type things are fab (for me).

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :(

There is also the possibility that your liver has been used to high BG levels for so long, that when your BG drops due to the low carbing, it releases glucose into the blood to stop you going 'too low'. That will slowly stop happening, as the liver adjusts to your new way of eating. Which is good. It also means that the large stock of glucose that your liver has been storing, is being depleted. * massive thumb up!*

One more thing... Are you eating enough? I'd we chewing furniture on the number of calories in your day's menu. I appreciate that most people who start low carbing have weight loss as a priority, but it really is important that this is sustainable, and the tortoise always beats the hare in the longterm, if you know what I mean...

Thanks Brunneria .The sausages were from Aldi but our butcher does some 97% ones ,It was just what we had in :) I'll watch out for the meat content in future .Not sure that low carbing to the degree of having to weigh everything is going to suit me .I'll naturally pass on the pasta,rice,bread ,potatoes quite happily but I'm just not prepared to start weighing veg and everything I eat .Been there ,done that and I refuse to return to it .It just makes me more hungry and down .

I thought I'd eaten too much if anything !!

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Didn't mean to depress you - was just trying to share my experience.

Follow your blood readings and eat accordingly.

It's a lot to learn and is overwhelming but you'll get there. Xxxx

No worries Deb :)...it's just made me evaluate if this is the way forward for me ,maybe not .I see what you mean with 11grns in one cup of onion .:eek:

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Again, we are all sooooo different!

I am physically most comfortable on around 40 g carbs or less a day. But I probably go up to 70g a couple of times a week, and consider 100g the point where the carb cravings get serious.

You'll gradually learn by trial and error what suits you best. And it really can be good food.

There are so many yummy treats available, it just takes a mind-shift to stop focussing on what you can't eat, to focus on what you can.

Do you like cream?
A few berries with a blob of double cream is an addiction of mine.
Likewise, coffee. Cream in coffee is my idea of heaven
Cheese?
Small cheese snacks are a delight. Smoked, blue, cheddar... My mouth is watering at the thought.

Bacon?
M&S do cold strips of crisp cooked bacon. A couple of those crunched up are lovely.

Want low cal? Try green smoothies (see link in my sig), they are incredibly good for you, filling, and put my BG up by about 1.5 for a 400ml glass.

All of these can be really satisfying high points to your day.

Have you found the myfitnesspal website? It's excellent for both carb and cal counting.

I can't do the high fat thing .My missing gall bladder hates it and it gives me cramps so I'm having to watch the cheese and cream ect. I'll just try to eat as natural as possible and make sure the veg I use is from the lower carb section :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Brunneria .The sausages were from Aldi but our butcher does some 97% ones ,It was just what we had in :) I'll watch out for the meat content in future .Not sure that low carbing to the degree of having to weigh everything is going to suit me .I'll naturally pass on the pasta,rice,bread ,potatoes quite happily but I'm just not prepared to start weighing veg and everything I eat .Been there ,done that and I refuse to return to it .It just makes me more hungry and down .

I thought I'd eaten too much if anything !!
I know what you mean about the counting. I'm the same. A few weeks ago I totted up everything I ate over a couple of weeks - that how I can now quote my carb comfort levels. But it was doing my head in, and I found I was allowing myself extra nibbles because they were still in my quota.

Bleugh!

Now I'm eating to my appetite again, I feel better, and the obsession has gone back underground.

But for a short time, as a learning experience, it was excellent. And I spotted a few more areas of hidden carbs that I had been blind to. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.