Here to say Hi!

trixietoes

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I have been a Type 2 diabetic for the last five years. Up until this time last year I was doing well, my hba1c was below 6, I took metformin and glicazide twice a day. In September last year I had to have my gallbladder removed, I lost about three stone last year, some through dieting and the rest from not being able to eat. The op lefte unable to tolerate the metformin at all, so I was told to stop these and see how things were in three months. In February this year my levels had crept up to 7.1, I had also put on 11 kilos in this time, was decided I would try and lose the weight and see how things were in 6 months. I managed to lose 16lbs but no matter what I do am unable to lise anymore. I had appointment to see Nurse on Thursday, was told that my Hba1c has now gone up to 8.9! We had long chat and she thought that byetta would probably be a good option for me. Went back Friday to see nurse who deals with this, was going to start there and then but she was unable to get any for that appointment, so now go back on Tuesday. I am so worried about it but feel its worth trying if thats what it takes to help me get things back under control. I saw myI poor mum die from complications of this horrible disease and dont want to end up like her. I am not good with needles, had trouble injecting my horse couple of years ago! I know the needles are now tiny but its the thought I guess is worse than actually doing it! I am bit worried as well as too how I am going to manage at work, shifts not the greatest thing for eating decent meals. Was warned about the possibility that I will feel very sick and loss of appetite, something I dont deal with well at best of times. Feel really upset with myself having let myself go like this, to be honest could sit here and have a good cry. Could do with hearing from people who have had similar experiences. Thanks Karen

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, welcome :)

have you tried cutting out the carbs? do you self test?

Reactions: 2 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Trixietoes. Im sure you will come through this. Good luck:)

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been a Type 2 diabetic for the last five years. Up until this time last year I was doing well, my hba1c was below 6, I took metformin and glicazide twice a day. In September last year I had to have my gallbladder removed, I lost about three stone last year, some through dieting and the rest from not being able to eat. The op lefte unable to tolerate the metformin at all, so I was told to stop these and see how things were in three months. In February this year my levels had crept up to 7.1, I had also put on 11 kilos in this time, was decided I would try and lose the weight and see how things were in 6 months. I managed to lose 16lbs but no matter what I do am unable to lise anymore. I had appointment to see Nurse on Thursday, was told that my Hba1c has now gone up to 8.9! We had long chat and she thought that byetta would probably be a good option for me. Went back Friday to see nurse who deals with this, was going to start there and then but she was unable to get any for that appointment, so now go back on Tuesday. I am so worried about it but feel its worth trying if thats what it takes to help me get things back under control. I saw myI poor mum die from complications of this horrible disease and dont want to end up like her. I am not good with needles, had trouble injecting my horse couple of years ago! I know the needles are now tiny but its the thought I guess is worse than actually doing it! I am bit worried as well as too how I am going to manage at work, shifts not the greatest thing for eating decent meals. Was warned about the possibility that I will feel very sick and loss of appetite, something I dont deal with well at best of times. Feel really upset with myself having let myself go like this, to be honest could sit here and have a good cry. Could do with hearing from people who have had similar experiences. Thanks Karen
I was not going to post much, but I feel I have to tell you to try Low carb. It does not seem to work for everyone. I was diagnosed with an HbA1c of 8.3. After 4 months it was 5.6 and I was declared cured by 3 doctors.(I am not).But hopefully not damaging my self due to high Blood glucose.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Hi and welcome.
You will get support and advice from this forum,and you will come through this,stay with it and look through the posts,If you have a question someone will know,
I joined in June and its been a life line for me,Im still learning but getting there,we all have our down times.
All the best.

Reactions: 4 people

trixietoes

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Thanks. I have been on a low carb diet for the last six months but still levels are rising.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
yikes, sorry that was my only attempt at something useful :(

K

Kat100

Hi trixtietoes
I think you may need to seek further medical support ...it could be that your gall bladder has left you with some malabsorption problems ...
There are tests and medication to help,you, not everyone can eat what they think they should be eating after a removal of a gall bladder ...

Yes sit and have a good cry , your support is here and a bit of letting go of emotions is not such a bad thing ...you are allowed to have feelings ...
Coping with this db is not always easy and I guess lots of people all have there ups and downs ....

Seeing your nurse sounds fine but maybe seek some further medical advice and well , you have a lot going on ...

Let us know how you are doing ...take care ,,,best wishes ....Kat

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi trixietoes,
Welcome to the mad house, never got to take Metformin as like you I am without a gall bladder which can make it a little harder to find things we can eat and enjoy whilst keeping to our low fat diet, unlike you I had my gall bladder removed first so was quite settled on my low fat regime to start with before the diabetes smacked me, the only difference now is that my diet is lower carb than before, I eat more meat and veg, veg and salads are my mainstay, I can tolerate a couple of slices of bread a day for the bum/fibre as I have other digestive problems to boot, have found that the Bergen bread is delish, you really can't taste the linseed, unfortunately the high fat diet these lucky people can eat wouldn't suit as the fat goes straight through, but have changed my half fat cheese and butter to full fat and am able to tolerate these in small quantities ie no more than 5 grm a day of each which is just enough to make a sandwich with lettuce and tomato, which is s nice filler either for lunch or late supper.
I have cut out the pasta and rice and most potatoes, I will have 2 small potatoes with a roast dinner or 2 small new (in their skins) with a salad when in season, their are lots of delish recipe's on here for low carb cakes and biccies so there is no need to cut the treats out completely. and its easy to make up a box for snacking at work, it just takes a little thought and you can be the envy of your workmates,
The other thing to remember is to test yourself regularly before and after meals, your meter will become your best friend letting you know if your on the right track, I have kept my weight static since 1997 by using my meter and tweeking my food as and when needed.
I was worried sick about the needles but to my delight, they are so tiny they just seem to slide in and out, I will be brutally honest sometimes I do get the wrong place and yes it can hurt but once into the routine Pinch up skin Poke in needle inject wait for the count of ten Remove needle done even the occasional wrong place isn't that bad, much less than the wrong place for the finger poke.
Hope this puts your mind to rest.