confused with ketone readings?

jackie1077

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a 14 year old type 1 diabetic since the age of 2.
My blood reading have been on the high side for over a week now. But I think I know why?
The problem I have is when I check for ketones in my blood its negative (0.1), but when I check it in my urine its goes quite pink, under 'fable' (or 1.5mmol)????
Im not sure which one to go by??
Any advice would be great.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't know where the T1's are tonight to answer you but, being night time, I would ring out of hours Dr or A&E, I would also touch base with your parents, to keep them in the loop.
I would trust the blood test over the urine strip because that is telling you what it was a since you last urinated and can be affected by dehydration.

so drink lots of water and check with who you ring about the ketones, to follow your sick day rules for the high BG.

mariposa84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was told to take blood ketones as more accurate than ketostix by my dsn very recently. Are you ill/got an infection? Hope you feel better very soon.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jackie1077

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for the advice. Ketones are back to negative now. Just needed to know incase it happens again.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You only have to worry about blood ketones above 0.2. Apparently some people have a "normal" ketone level of 0.1 or even 0.2.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for the advice. Ketones are back to negative now. Just needed to know incase it happens again.

it was the best thing to ring for medical care and touch base with your parents. To organise yourself for next time. If you haven't been on a course lately, you could ask your nurse to organise one for you.

it's easy to get confused with forum replies and some people have their own levels that they take action on.
In general you may have been told your ketone level may have been ok, if your meter measures in mmol/L.
http://www.juvenile-diabetes-everyday.com/ketone-testing-strips.html
The reading of 0.1 and up to 0.6 can be considered normal. Depending on your Dr and diabetic team.

Did they explain about sick days and give you worksheets something like this?
http://www.diabetes-scotland.org/ggc/documents/pdf files/latest PHR material/illness.pdf

they have other worksheets from the teaching dropdown list that you and your parents can go through, to get questions to ask your care team.
http://www.diabetes-scotland.org/ggc/

jackie1077

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you very much for the advice and info. Me and my mum will have a look thru them this evening. :)