Type ones, your immune system is killing your beta cells... and helping them regrow.

EPhantom

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Joslin diabetes center did some research that showed your T killer cells are also trying to protect your beta cells and help your pancreas make new ones! Just thought you guys would like to know. :)

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Is there a non-video version? For people who like to read things.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is cool. Immune cells (T cells) that provide specific support to threatened cells (beta cells in this case). Aiding the threatened cells directly, rather than just attacking the cells' enemy. Is this a totally new finding in immunology?

EPhantom

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I've read a few other findings about insulin producing cells being grown after physical trauma to the pancreas and ducts in and out of the pancreas... but I haven't been able to relocate them. I'll look again a little later or tomorrow... If I have to have another procedure done on my liver I'll see if I can get a little test done to see if its true, then work from there. If this immune response does indeed grow cells then type twos could benefit as well. early stages could use some light trauma to grow some cells to reduce other organ damage risk, and later stages could use just the chemicals and such that the immune cells use to flat out regrow as many beta cells as we desire... we just need more proof that it actually works, and I doubt people would line up to have their pancreas beat up even more.