My Atkins Life

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning.

So today I've woken up positive, but tired thanks to girls getting up at 5.30am and refusing to play in their room? Joy!

I know you're not supposed to but I weighed in today anyway and have lost 1kg overnight after day one of Atkins. So those pesky carbs have caused water retention as I suspected. Fasting BG was also down today from 8.2 to 6.8 so moving in the right direction - another bit of good news and a sign to stay on track.

But most of all, the most positive thing by far is the support from you guys on this forum. You're all wonderful and I really appreciate the kind words, advice and laughs. I have no idea why I stayed away - seems as silly as stuffing my face with killer foods but there you go.

I'm starting to feel the fight coming back :)

Deb xxxx

Reactions: 10 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Was really craving lemon mug cake today which I'm not supposed to have during the induction phase but I took the executive decision that it would be ok! I was good and only had a small bit with cream and three strawberries, and it was very satisfying - so much in fact, that I'm not at all hungry for dinner so I'll have that later on.

One thing I definitely need to work on is walking and water. Don't do enough of either. I could even do a spot of strength training but I'm seriously lacking motivation...

Feel a lot less tired than a few days ago and luckily no signs of carb flu which is good!

D x

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hopped on the scales this morning and am down 2.7kg and it's only day three. I'm quite frankly shocked how much carbs add to weight and just quitting them can have such an immediate effect. I'll measure ketones tonight although I think it may be a bit soon for ketosis. I'm definitely sticking to the plan now....

So I went to the doctors and she was amazing. She spent loads of time with me, explained my MRI results and also went through last set of diabetic tests...

MRI has showed my disc that had previously been operated has prolapsed again and is pushing on my nerve but not significantly enough to warrant surgery right now and there is hope that stretching the spine through physio may be enough to avoid surgery all together so let's hope this works. Have to wait a few weeks for the referral and will be assessed at triage and dealt with accordingly. I asked for proper drugs and she was very accommodating but I am not allowed to drive unless absolutely necessary. A bit inconvenient but good for weightloss so overall I'm pretty pleased with how that part of consultation went.

And onto the bad-ish news....it seems I'm no longer pre diabetic and have nudged up into T2 range. :( it's only just but what's most concerning is during the three months before the ha1c, I was really on the good path and eating very well and avoiding carbs like a pro so I guess that wasn't enough for me.

Doc wanted to put me on met but I said I want another three months to improve my stats and then we could review.

Cholesterol is good and bp is okayish so that's also encouraging.

And because I've now been awarded the T2 title, I'll get to go on an education course. Expert it is called.

Doc still gave me the 'eat more fruit' sales pitch which I shot down immediately with my personal bg results. She told me to eat melon, oranges and bananas :eek:

The best thing to come of this is that I'm more determined than ever to improve my stats.

Over and out

D xxxx

Reactions: 8 people

bearMedicine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dieting :)
Hi Deb

Just found your wonderful blog of your recent Atkins journey.

My wife has been on Atkins for about 3 months and has lost a lot of weight, so I decided to get back on board as well 3 weeks ago (my BMI is about 41). I am firmly in the metabolic syndrome camp and diagnosed T2 for about 10 years, so my weight loss has been less than others have reported but still a couple of kilos.

Then I got a shock with my most recent hbA1c (10%!!) so I've been put on insulin after many years of trying to control my BG with diet and exercise and ever increasing levels of medication. So I went along to the diabetes team at my local clinic (who are wonderful and supportive in every possible way!). However there still seems to be a LOT of confusion about what diabetics should eat!

I got told to start eating cereal such as shreddies and rice crispies for breakfast! As I was just about to go on insulin I had to point out that I was of the opinion that high GI foods were the worst things I could eat. They told me no!

Does ANYONE who is treating diabetes understand how a diabetic should eat with respect to carbs? They seem to be on the same old, tired, eat carbs bandwagon (which IMO caused the obesity epidemic almost single handed and caused me to put on a LOT of weight). It's sad and frustrating.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Bear.

Dieting is bloody hard - I think because life is so fluid and temptation is everywhere. I clocked loads of tempting treats just on my way to collect my prescription.

I'm not entirely sure if I suffer from metabolic syndrome - really wouldn't be surprised if I did after years of abusing myself with food. I'm definitely greedy though and that's not so good when you're trying to lose weight!

Well done to your wife and I expect you'll get there too, it'll just take a bit longer. It's taken years to pile on the pounds, so I don't know why I expect it to drop off quicker. Maybe I want to see the new me.

I participated in a film about diabetes for a film student and I saw it for the first time a couple of days ago. I didn't realise I wobbled so much! The camera definitely does not love me in the same way as Cameron Diaz!

This place is a lifesaver - literally. So much brilliant support and advice. It sounds daft but I'm more comfortable discussing my journey here than I am with family and friends.

Anyway best of luck!

D x

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
This place is a lifesaver - literally. So much brilliant support and advice. It sounds daft but I'm more comfortable discussing my journey here than I am with family and friends.

I think that's just because we're all anonymous other than being friends in a virtual community. You can be yourself without worrying too much about the extra baggage that friends and family bring to the table.

Reactions: 5 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
True that but I'm quite an upfront, no holds barred type of girl anyway! I guess I don't want my mates/family to worry, get bored of me banging on about stuff or think I'm a martyr!

X

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear that you've nudged into the diabetic camp. It is all a bit arbitrary I think as loss of pancreatic function is occurring all the way along the range in any case and at least now you will be entitled to to eye screenings and more regular check ups. Not been on the Expert course but found DESMOND one interesting even though they were pushing the carbs are ok line.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, you know there's no escape now...
You're stuck with us for ever.

;)

Reactions: 7 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Another pound off overnight! But bg was higher at 7.5 - I did have tea, jelly and cream at 10pm and also tested later than normal in the morning. As soon as Big Brother is over I will be in bed by 10 every night - I promise! I have no idea why but I just can't shake my bb addiction.....We'll also be much better once we're back in a routine with school again.

I'm gaining my stride again - trip to Aldi yesterday so I'm now stocked up with meat and options. Taking girls to the park for their last day of holidays so I expect I'll get some sort of exercise in too. Ideally I'd love a quick power walk around the park while they splash in the water bit but that would be a tad irresponsible and selfish, so I'll trot about while they're playing.

I've started looking at quotes again as they inspire me and thought I'd share them here too. If it gets annoying, then just say so and I'll stop ;)

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1409645621.353165.jpg

Have a wonderful Tuesday

Deb
Xxx

Reactions: 9 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A wonderful day today but not as far as bg and weighing goes! Bg was 7.2 and I only lost 100g overnight so now is the real weight that will be coming off from now on. I'll not weigh in again til Saturday as my little investigation is complete! Just need to work on the bg.

So I actually had a product meeting at the job centre with a helpful advisor who has arrange for me to see the self employment team to see if I could set up my bags gig properly instead of looking for full time work. I think I'd prefer to give the bags a go for now and if it doesn't work out, I've at least had a go, and got some current marketing experience. I feel quite excited about it and I hope it's a good meeting and I have time to prepare properly for it.

My eldest really enjoyed her first day back at school and came out beaming which was a stark contrast to the way in! My youngest and I had a lovely day together and I really enjoyed her company.

New pills seem to be working although I'm definitely more tired on them...pain is less severe and I've been walking more today too.

So all in all a great day!

D x x x

Reactions: 10 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not much to report.

Have just taken my nighttime bg to see how that compares to morning readings which are still a bit too high for my liking. This morning was 8.2 although I don't think it's comparable as I tested late. From now on I must get up and just test!

Not feeling any thinner! I'm debating whether I invest in my winter skinny jeans now or wait and see if I lose anything more. We're back to walking to and from school twice a day which is brilliant and helping my leg pain too. Perhaps I'll wait til October and then go trying some on. I'd like to only buy one pair to last the whole season to save money.

This weekend sees me baking like a mad bird again but this time for a cake order and my youngest's birthday party on Sunday. God knows where I'll store them all! I have to stay on the path of goodness though and not have ANY!

Also got a friends party to go to on Saturday afternoon where temptation will be rife. I'll eat beforehand and take my own snacks so I don't stray. I really don't think it's worth the BG fallout for the sake of a soggy sausage roll. And I must also steer clear of the wine.....

Made a really cute bag today for a nurse which has given me lots of ideas for other stuff - just need some more time to sort it all out!

Right, off to bed now....goodnight peeps

Deb xxx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd love to see more of your bag designs - do you have a website? If so, can you pm me?

:)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a friend nearing her 55th bday, and she needs some bling. :happy:

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's my fave post from you!

Send me the details via the contact form on website and I'll get onto it....

Thanks....

D xxx

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So I hopped on scales as I was feeling curious and officially 4kgs lighter in just six days. How crazy is that? I expect to be dropping a pound a week from now on - shame it can't be a bit more but I'm more concerned with bg dropping. It was a surprising 7.3 this morning which is odd as I've been really good and not strayed at all. I'm thinking eating dessert at 19pm is not helping! Hurry up and finish big brother!

Sleeping pattern is off due to meds. Fell asleep with girls at 7.30, woke at 9 and then couldn't sleep til way longer. Am feeling quite jaded today but not in agony so that's fine by me.

Despite feeling groggy, I'm immensely positive at the moment which is a lovely change from two weeks ago. Part of it must be school starting. I just love school :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey Deb, I'm curious.

You were low carbing and losing, fell off the wagon, and got back on, yes?

I'm curious - how long were you off the wagon, and how much 'weight' did you gain? Then how much 'weight' have you just lost again really fast?

Because the difference is the actual weight you gained. Not fluid, not glycogen stores... Actual 'fat weight'

That will tell you how much you gain, in what timescale, when off the wagon.

Please don't feel you have to tell us, but I thought you might be interested to know for yourself.

Me? If I eat over 100g carbs/day, I expect to gain at least 1lb/week of actual 'fat weight'. More if I eat 200g...

Knowing that is a very good motivator. :(