What have you eaten today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No worries Deb :)...it's just made me evaluate if this is the way forward for me ,maybe not .I see what you mean with 11grns in one cup of onion .:eek:

I only weigh stuff and work out values first time I try something new, then I add it to my spreadsheet that contains my meal plans so I have a quick glance reference. It's a bit of a bind the first week but it's really worth it. I also spent some time compiling a spreadsheet of individual foods by type as another quick reference and that's stuck up on my cupboard so it's not a chore now. If you look up values per 100g it's pretty easy to translate in future.

Here's a pic for you....

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1409477618.538652.jpg

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1409477645.401321.jpg

May help x

Reactions: 6 people

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Debmcgee Thank you so much .! :)That's really helpful especially the meal suggestions!
Are we trying for ketosis here though because I know my Doc gave me ketones sticks to check for hypos when my readings are so high so I'm a bit puzzled .

Reactions: 2 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I finally defrosted that pork shoulder, and it is in the slow cooker overnight, using @AndBreathe 's Spice Men's pulled pork recipe.

I cut the skin off first and made crackling with it.

Dusted with salt, baked at 180 degrees for about 90 mins on each side.

Delish.

Anyone know how I can keep it for another day?
Even I am unable to eat 10 x10 inches of crackling in one go!

I must admit I hadn't thought of doing the crackling thing with the pork, but it was the first thing (the crackling monster (Mr Breathe asked. He declared my omission as a crime again pork.

I hope you enjoy it. You can't get much simpler, can you?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Brunneria .The sausages were from Aldi but our butcher does some 97% ones ,It was just what we had in :) I'll watch out for the meat content in future .Not sure that low carbing to the degree of having to weigh everything is going to suit me .I'll naturally pass on the pasta,rice,bread ,potatoes quite happily but I'm just not prepared to start weighing veg and everything I eat .Been there ,done that and I refuse to return to it .It just makes me more hungry and down .

I thought I'd eaten too much if anything !!

Susie - Frustratingly, for you, I agree with the others about a period of measuring and using myfitnesspal. I stress a period. Let's call it the foundations, or preparation for the way forward? I'm a fan of myfitnesspal, and once you have a few things in there, it takes moments to keep updated. If you have a smart phone, or tablet, you can even scan bar codes from supermarket labels. The site does all the breakdowns of the nutrients and adds up the calories, so it's just like jotting it down somewhere. You can run reports if you want to, and for me the big, big win is it becomes so simple to look back over what you've eaten, then match up with the blood scores you last had. That can be useful if you maybe have an unexpected high or low.

I started using myfitnesspal in December, for a few week, bit still record every morsel I eat and drink. Or to be completely truthful, I don't count the teas and coffees I might drink, but simply factor in a certain amount of milk I would get through in a day. I love it, but I am a data monster.

Recording this way, for a while at least, helps reduce the "I just don't understand that" moments.

I haven't measured anything for a while, but if, like this morning, I'm hungry and have a bigger portion of something, I just adjust the portion size in myfitnesspal, and it adjusts the numbers. Don't discount it until you've had a look and a bit of a dabble. These sort of stepping stones can make a huge difference.

Reactions: 3 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Debmcgee Thank you so much .! :)That's really helpful especially the meal suggestions!
Are we trying for ketosis here though because I know my Doc gave me ketones sticks to check for hypos when my readings are so high so I'm a bit puzzled .
You're welcome.

The doc prob gave you sticks to measure in case of the other keto condition - I forget what it's called but people often confuse the two. Ketosis is simply ketones in your blood/pee that says your primary source of energy is burning your fat stores. I only get positive readings at around 8pm - approx 2 hours after meal. It doesn't pick up during the day which at first really upset me!

I also cut the sticks in half to double their use. Still work the same, just skinnier.

dfsr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bigotry
Thought this would be a good way to steal some ideas!

I've had:
Breakfast: tinned mackerel on almond flour bread.
Snack: mixed nuts
Lunch: tuna salad, cheese and coleslaw
Tea: chicken and veg 5 spice stir fry
I've only had breakfast so far, but that was organic porridge oats made with almond milk, with sliced banana and a handful of blueberries mixed in with a dessert spoon of Linwood's 4 seed mix with goji berries - delicious. I shall be having a salad for lunch and then Ebly cracked wheat and four vegetables (asparagus, green beans, broccoli and carrots) with a sprinkling of parmesan for dinner.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've only had breakfast so far, but that was organic porridge oats made with almond milk, with sliced banana and a handful of blueberries mixed in with a dessert spoon of Linwood's 4 seed mix with goji berries - delicious. I shall be having a salad for lunch and then Ebly cracked wheat and four vegetables (asparagus, green beans, broccoli and carrots) with a sprinkling of parmesan for dinner.

Wow I'm jealous! Wish I could take so many carbs. I miss oats...x

dfsr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bigotry
I tend to do best eating any foods that don't include fats and sugars and refined stuff, so although I eat carbs they are not so bad, it's the stuff you put with them that makes the difference for me. I have got my HbA1c down to 44 but still working on cholesterol and triglycerides :(

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
You're welcome.

The doc prob gave you sticks to measure in case of the other keto condition - I forget what it's called but people often confuse the two. Ketosis is simply ketones in your blood/pee that says your primary source of energy is burning your fat stores. I only get positive readings at around 8pm - approx 2 hours after meal. It doesn't pick up during the day which at first really upset me!

I also cut the sticks in half to double their use. Still work the same, just skinnier.

He gave me them to test when my readings are high Deb.http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/testing-for-ketones.html so how am I supposed to differentiate between ketones from diet and ketones from bg ?? Boy is this confusing :grumpy:

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah I think he have it to you for dka but if you're concerned go back.

Essentially though, you want to lower and stabilise bg which will avoid dka.

But I'm not an expert and only really know about keto sis in the low carb sense....xxx

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I think he have it to you for dka but if you're concerned go back.

Essentially though, you want to lower and stabilise bg which will avoid dka.

But I'm not an expert and only really know about keto sis in the low carb sense....xxx

Thanks for all the help all.:)

I'll see what my testing turns up today .It HAS lowered with the low carb from 26 bg fasting yesterday to 13.5 this morning and having eaten bacon and the remains of last nights cabbage fried in a little butter for breakfast it has only gone up to 16.5 so not too bad .Will test at the 2 hour mark .
Guess it's just all trial and error :)

HA3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch. 2 fried eggs, bacon, 1 iceland square saussge, 1 slice toast.
dinner. Roast pork, roasted cauli and butternut squash, mashed cauli and butternut squash, peas, carrots, sprouts, gravy, little bit of stuffing.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bacon, scrambled egg, coffee x2
Ham cream cheese salad, diet coke
Lemon mug cake, cream and three straws, another coffee
Courgetti, smoked salmon, cream, onion, pesto, spinach, garlic that I'll eat once girls are in bed.

Shouldn't have really had the cake for two weeks but I was craving it so had a small bit. I doubt 40g ground almonds will kill me but who knows?!

X

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Breakfast: 2 fried eggs, 1 slice Quorn bacon, ketchup

Lunch and dinner: leftover curry stuff.

Made lots of curry last night as I knew I wouldn't fancy cooking today. Veg and paneer korma, spicy chickpeas, coconut lime cauli "rice". More leftovers tomorrow.

HA3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch. 2 fried eggs, bacon, 1 iceland square saussge, 1 slice toast.
dinner. Roast pork, roasted cauli and butternut squash, mashed cauli and butternut squash, peas, carrots, sprouts, gravy, little bit of stuffing.
Not such a good dinner have to say - 8.8 post 2 hours :( , 7.0 post 3 hours.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The pulled pork is astonishingly good.
Thank you @AndBreathe for finding and suggesting that recipe (the spice men, pulled pork).
We had it with coleslaw and salad
And best of all, I'm not going to have to cook again for 4 days. :happy:

And the crackling was almost as good today :wideyed:

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cooked carrots are a no no for me too.
Butternut I can do in small quantities, but really, why bother with just a smidge? :(

HA3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
[QUOTE="Avocado Sevenfold, I have had to put butternut squash and carrots on my "dodgy" list. Haven't tried peas yet.[/QUOTE]
Not sure what I'll eat if I drop thw butternut :bigtears:, have it quite a lot roasted or mashed with cauliflower. I guess It could be the combo of squash, stuffing and gravy in the same meal which i have not done for ages. Might try the squash just with pork or chicken and see what i get then.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Not sure what I'll eat if I drop thw butternut :bigtears:, have it quite a lot roasted or mashed with cauliflower.
Maybe it was the combination of squash and carrot. They might be ganging up on you! :blackeye: Try them in isolation in different meals.

Status
Not open for further replies.