Plane travel

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just been to Switzerland and though I had a letter no one asked to see it.
In 20 years I've never been asked for one, but I was concerned about heightened security & flying with a CGM for the first time.
I just tell them I am diabetic and have insulin and pens in my bag.

My GP charged me £20 for the letter. I suppose it at least it gave me peace of mind in case it was requested.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I do think it's better to have a letter when your travelling abroad, I've not been stopped before and asked to show the letter but the reassurance is there if I did.

You can get a letter from your hospital diabetes team (if under their care) usually for nothing, as DunePlodder has found out GP's can charge for such letters.

XIX

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it's better to have a letter just in case.

It also depends on where you're flying to. I've found that flying out from the UK is fine (I did get stopped at security but that was because I had scissors in my bag...) but some airports on the way back may be more problematic if they haven't seen it before.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i agree to get a letter, it will be peace of mind

Kelsie

I took a letter and my prescription just in case; I've just travelled to America and Canada where their airport security is a lot stricter than ours and I wasn't asked anything about my insulin or epipens and massive box of needles :) I've been to Majorca as well and again I wasn't asked anything but I would always take it just in case

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You don't need a letter. Just take your repeat prescription form/list. I've never been asked for anything in 30 odd years of travelling abroad.

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
In 10 years the only place I've been asked for a doctors note was travelling through Malaysia into Singapore but I carry one just in case.

Malaga airport let me take a whole bottle of lucozade through security which I thought was odd (left it in my handbag by mistake) but meant I didn't have to buy a new one lol.