Takeda fails to overturn USD9 billion award for Actos cancer cover up

DCUK NewsBot

Takeda, manufacturers of the type 2 diabetes drug, Actos, have failed to overturn the award of $9 billion for covering up risks of bladder cancer associated with the drug. Takeda and marketing partner Lilly were charged with $9 billion punitive charges in April this year after the companies were found to be guilty of failing to notify patients, doctors and regulatory authorities of risks associated with the drug. Whilst Takeda have failed to overturn the decision, it intends to launch a separate appeal. The case of Terrence Allen vs Takeda showed that Takeda had been aware of possible increased risks of bladder cancer years before it included a warning of the risks. Furthermore, the case revealed that Takeda had destroyed thousands of emails and documents related to the cancer risks prior to the trial. Takeda has recently completed a 10 year epidemiology study showing no statistically significant increased risk of bladder cancer associated with using the drug. At 5 years, the study had shown significantly increased risks of bladder cancer in people taking the medication for over 2 years. Marketing partner Eli Lilly, which were charged with $3 billion out of the $9 billion total, has previously reported that it should be indemnified by Takeda under the terms of their deal, which would mean Takeda would be responsible for the $9 billion total.

Continue reading...

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I Have taken Actos in the past, and was very worried about it then, what is the likelyhood of the drug having any effect on my bladder, and my problems with it. Is there any available information that I could read to understand the reported effects this drug has had on the person mentioned in the report. Was the benefits of the drug thought to out way the possible side effects? Why did the company Takeda so unwilling to be found 'guilty' of the mishandling of the information and emails it deatroyed? What is the average diabetic taking this drug or the other version'Januvia' meant to think?
Will there be any further information released regarding this reported case?